1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High Strength Steel Frame

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Toneloc, May 18, 2015.

1. May 18, 2015 at 12:45 PM
    Toneloc

Toneloc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    I am looking to buy a new truck here in the next 6 months and strongly considering the new Tacoma.

I live in NW Pennsylvania....I travel to Southern Tier of NY quite a bit = tons of road salt.

I've read / seen on the videos about this new high strength steel frame which also reduces weight.....

Is this meaning stronger, but lesser thickness / gauge?

If they are touting it as a weight savings, I can only think that to be the case.

I did just pickup this tidbit from the loan star jamboree article that sounds good:

"To give the buyers better corrosion resistance we changed up the coating material we use on the frame for 2016. We also went to nylon-coated brake lines to provide longer life and better corrosion resistance."

2. May 18, 2015 at 12:57 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Just so you know second gen truck has nylon coated brake lines too, so hardly new future. Unless they mena now all top to bottom and not only main lines.
    Coating material maybe be better but it was never about coating it was about pain job on frame.

Products Discussed in

To Top