1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hit 100K on the odometer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Boilerman, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Jun 29, 2016 at 5:14 PM
    Boilerman

Boilerman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Texas, northwest of the Big Pond
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner SR5 Magnetic Gray 2.7L
    Just want to start off by saying I am more of a lurker and reading and learning about my truck vs knowing a lot and trying to help other members out. Want to give all of you a big thank you for your knowledge about our trucks, it has really helped me. Anyway hit 100K on the truck so I decided it was time to change out the manual transmission fluid and rear differential fluid. My truck is my daily driver back and forth to work and to run errands. I have only towed a double axle flat bed trailer one time to go and pick up a new zero turn mower. Most of my driving is highway miles which is 104 miles round trip when I go to work. Used everyone's advice and got 3 quarts of Redline MT-90 GL-4 gear oil on eBay for $33.00 with no shipping. Also got one of the transfer pumps from Harbor Freight. I have never changed the transmission fluid until now. Drained the fluid and it was just barely dark brown in color, still looked like it was brand new from the factory. Anyway I have always had a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd on this truck from the day I bought it. It's a 2010 access cab and is just over 6 years old. I would always have to shift from 2nd to 3rd in the 3000 - 3500 rpm range to get a kind of smooth shift. Well let me tell you, she shifts every gear just like butter. No more hard shift, it is completely gone. This is a totally different truck now and it even seems like it has more pick up and go as well. Thanks to all of you for the great advice.

Now onto the rear differential. At 30K I changed the fluid with Mobil 1 synthetic 75W-90 gear oil. The oil from the factory still looked brand new. Thought maybe I would see a little better in the mpg dept, but I gained nothing. At 60K I changed the fluid again with the same and the fluid still looked brand new. Decided to wait until 100K to change it again to see if it was bad. Changed it today and it still looked brand new. Decided not to replace with Mobil 1 again since I saw no gains from using it. This time I used Super Tech 75W-90 synthetic blend gear oil. Took her out for a test drive and she drives better than when I drove it off the lot. Again just want to say thank you to all you guys, you really know your stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top