1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hitch assembly advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by banting, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Jun 17, 2009 at 6:03 PM
    banting

banting [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD
    need a hitch assembly to pull a uhaul across canada. I've got a 08TRD but hav'nt pulled anything. want to keep it cheap but safe and easy to find. any ideas on weight ratings (5000?6000? +?) make? stabilizer needed? ball size? i don't pull much often, but what offers the most versatility?

2. Jun 17, 2009 at 6:09 PM
    is it windy yet?

is it windy yet? Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingston On
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Speedway blue
    extang trifecta tonneau, tinted windows, side step bars, sill plates, bug deflector, TRD exhaust, K&N filter, carbon fiber CD surround, tow kit, it's a Canadian truck so the TSB 4 leaf springs and bilstiens were done at the factory, vent visors, ipod adapter, and weather tech mats.
    Did you check out the towing section? I don't pull anything with my truck either, but I did read a few good things in there.

Ron

3. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    I'd keep it around 5k if you don't pull much, that's the limit of maneageable weight for a newbie.

Cheapest hitch I found is from Uhaul - something like $120 shipped. It's actually make by Valley, and bolts up just like the OEM one (to the frame rail and rear bumper) without having to loosen and replace the bumper assy.

4. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Ball size depends on what you're towing. I think if you're going to be pulling that much you may want a brake controller but I'm sure somebody with the experience of heavier loads will chime in.

Products Discussed in

To Top