1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hog hunting

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by branct06, May 7, 2009.

1. May 7, 2009 at 11:05 AM
    branct06

branct06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    norcross Ga. and High Point Nc.
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 black sr5 long bed trd sport
    super 40 flowmaster turned down before rear axle, k&n intake, ipod interface, 20% 3m tint all the way around, grill craft mx series grill with 2 hella 500 behind the grill, 2 55 watt halogens mounted on uws black low profile toolbox, 3'' toytec ultimate lift kit sitting on black xd monsters and 285/65/18 BFG A/T, HID headlight kit
    My buddy and I are going hog hunting for the first time this summer on friends land, does anyone have any tips on hog hunting, and the best place to locate them, i was guessing in river bottoms and marsh/wet areas........ and ill be hunting with a 45-70 so anything i see wont stand a chance.

2. May 7, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    steve r

steve r Well-Known Member

Member:
    buford ga
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma
    river bottoms .look for some wallers in the mud an tree rubs .I to hunt hogs here in ga .They do migrate though.The 1895g is an awsome knock down power.its what i use for them ole crittes .it flat out rolls them over .

3. May 7, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    JPinCowtown

JPinCowtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09' SR5 4x4
    If baiting non-game species is legal, try this. We've killed a trainload of hogs this way. Take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it 2/3 full with deer corn. Pour in a 2 liter bottle of Big Red or similar fruity soft drink. (We also add a few packets of raspberry KoolAid powder) Mix it up and let it sit in the sun for a few hours -a day or two is even better. Find a spot frequented by hogs and dig a hole 18"-24" deep with post hole diggers. Fill the hole most of the way with corn, cover it with dirt and tamp it down, scattering some of the corn on top of the ground. The sickeningly sweet smell and the soured corn is an absolute hog magnet. When they find it it will look like somebody has been in there with a backhoe. Obviously it works best if somebody can reload your ..uh.. cornhole:eek: once a week or so for the month prior to your hunt. They will keep coming back for more as long as you put it out...

4. May 7, 2009 at 12:30 PM
    branct06

branct06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    norcross Ga. and High Point Nc.
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 black sr5 long bed trd sport
    super 40 flowmaster turned down before rear axle, k&n intake, ipod interface, 20% 3m tint all the way around, grill craft mx series grill with 2 hella 500 behind the grill, 2 55 watt halogens mounted on uws black low profile toolbox, 3'' toytec ultimate lift kit sitting on black xd monsters and 285/65/18 BFG A/T, HID headlight kit
    sweet thanks for the info guys, ill be hunting down in the milledgville are if u know where that is steve

5. May 9, 2009 at 1:01 PM
    steve r

steve r Well-Known Member

Member:
    buford ga
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma
    yup sure do .i have a club down in putnman co not to far from yall.Off of gray hwy.Also club in sparta

6. May 10, 2009 at 4:54 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    I am looking for info on hog hunting, I would like to take my dad.
    Need info on locations, lodges, cost etc.
    Hook me up if you all would :)

7. May 11, 2009 at 12:16 PM
    JPinCowtown

JPinCowtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09' SR5 4x4
    longbow - Texas has alot of ranches that cater to hog hunters. If it's a bowhunt you are looking for go to www.texasbowhunter.com and go to the "rate the day lease" section

8. May 11, 2009 at 3:12 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Sent out some e-mails today, want to take my dad on a 2-5 day hog hunt.
    Something else to hang in the den......thanks :)

9. May 11, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    Camppentaco

Camppentaco Mommy says I'm special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Camp Pen, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5
    Duel Flowmaster, 265/75/16 BFG M/T MK2
    Why would you hunt hogs with a 45-70? It's not a friggen buffalo.

10. May 11, 2009 at 3:44 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    My guess is knock down power. My brother went on a wild boar (Russian) with a 7mm mag, took 3 shots to bring him down. Last shot was a head shot.
    Oh yea he is a good shot, first two were with in 3 inchs of each other. But then I guess it how bad you piss them off.

11. May 11, 2009 at 3:53 PM
    tacomaholic

tacomaholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    check out some places in south carolina.their are lots.btw you do not need lots of power to kill a hog.shot placement is everything.i killed a 250lb with my 45lb bow.double lung and she went 60 yards and piled up.also killer a 75lb one this year with the same bow.hit in the neck on accident and droped it in its tracks and it was stone cole dead.But definatly check out some of the places in sc.

Products Discussed in

To Top