1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home Brew Inflator/Deflator...30+ Years of testing....

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Crow Horse, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Sep 25, 2018 at 2:53 PM
    Crow Horse

Crow Horse [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB TRDS, 2012 DCSB TRDOR
    Just thought I'd share this project I started back in the mid 80's. It's gone through many permutations in the course of 30+ years but it really works well. I used it along with my CO2 setup to inflate or deflate 2 tires at once. It saw a lot of service while I was fishing the beaches of LI chasing stripers and blues.... (it could really use a good cleanup).......Inflator Deflator 005.jpg Inflator Deflator 007.jpg Inflator Deflator 010.jpg Inflator Deflator 016.jpg

mcharfauros likes this.
  2. Jan 1, 2019 at 8:59 AM
    mcharfauros

mcharfauros IG: mcharfauros

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MO
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD OR DC
    Dumb Truck Thangs
    @Crow Horse What do we have here? Definitely staying tuned. Interested in piecing one together

3. Jan 1, 2019 at 9:33 AM
    Crow Horse

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    It's a bit of a monster, but worked really well when deflating before hitting the beach and re-inflating when leaving the beach. It made short order of each, especially with my CO2 setup. It really saved time. The cost to make it exactly as I made it in it's current form would be cost prohibitive, but this project began about 30 years ago and as better products became available or my needs were better defined, upgrades were made. It was especially helpful in setting the psi exactly the same when I had an LSD in the rear of my Suzuki.....

Note- The clip on tire chucks are Haltec H-5265 closed units and I've found them to be the best clip on chucks I have used (I've used virtually every style out there). The Haltecs have 3 jaws which grip firmly and they don't leak at all. The angled and European clip on chucks were somewhat problematic because they didn't always provide a leak free connection.....

I mounted everything to some 1/4" aluminum plate using Quick Fists. I did have to add a "spacer" to it and the plate has rubber feet.....

The hoses are polyurethane because of my CO2 setup. The PU hoses tolerate the extremely cold temps and remain flexible....

mcharfauros[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jan 1, 2019 at 9:41 AM
    mcharfauros

mcharfauros IG: mcharfauros

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MO
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD OR DC
    Dumb Truck Thangs
    thanks boss, appreciate the feedback. gonna dive into this slowly, but looks like something worth wild and fun to build while we are still in the winter months and basically looking for projects

5. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:27 PM
    Pyrotech

Pyrotech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just finished putting one together last week. used the same Haltec
    chuck mentioned above, and I am impressed with it the couple of times it got used

20190101_162449.jpg

20190101_162520.jpg

20190101_162507.jpg

I did make the gauge and valve assembly a separate piece to help protect the digital gauge.

20181227_205016.jpg

mcharfauros and Crow Horse[OP] like this.
  6. Jan 5, 2019 at 2:50 AM
    Crow Horse

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    Nice work! In order to protect the gauge on my setup, I used a ball valve. Originally I had a low pressure gauge and a higher pressure gauge which was used while inflating to get me in the ballpark of the target psi. The low pressure gauge was isolated while inflating via the ball valve.....

Pyrotech likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top