1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home defense weapons

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 95 taco, Jan 27, 2016.

?

What is your choice for home defense

1. 9MM/.40/.45 (or other caliber) semi-auto handgun

49.7%
  2. Single shot rifle or shotgun

1.1%
  3. Semi-auto or pump shotgun

33.3%
  4. Pistol caliber carbine

1.1%
  5. AR style rifle in standard caliber (556/223/300BLK/6.8)

9.6%
  6. Revolver

3.4%
  7. Revolver shotgun (E.G. Taurus Judge, S&W governor)

1.7%
  1. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:06 PM
    addicus24

addicus24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock.Why mess with perfection?Except...
    I've always liked the saying, "Beware of the man that owns only one gun, because he probably knows how to use it". Maybe the saying is true for some people. I'd be unhappy if all I had was one gun. Since the only people living in my house are my wife and me, I leave a few stashed around in strategic ,yet incognito, for lack of a better word, places. All of these weapons are some that my wife has expressed a certain level of comfort with, and exhibited a certain level of proficiency, using.
    Another, "truism" we should consider internalizing is, "If you shoot someone beyond a range of 5 yards, you better have a damn good lawyer".

Cold Iron likes this.
  2. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:17 PM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    Damn had to go down and look at my sons 500 deer\bird 20 ga. combo and it is a double slide also. Wikipedia shows it was 1970 when they first started doubles on some, that is when Remington's patent expired on doubles. Not sure when it went mainstream for all Mossbergs though. Good question.... Also not sure what the military ended up with as the main shotgun I've been retired almost 20 years. Looks like the 500 is pretty common now according to Wikipedia. Not just a good question, it is a great question....

3. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:19 PM
    1R0NMAN811

1R0NMAN811 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sneads Ferry, NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
    I'm a Marine and almost every shotgun I've seen in the Corps was Benelli. Seen probably an equal number of older 870's and 500's but probably less than 20 total

Cold Iron[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:33 PM
    Cold Iron

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    All of my training and experience with military weapons was by the Marines. About the same time they pulled the M12's and 37's from us they also pulled the M14 and we had to go with the M16. First time at the range that I fired the M16 at 100 yards I used the sling, my "group" was so far low and to the right it was on the edge of the target. The range officer was a crusty old Gunny and when I stood up I said outloud mainly to myself, great replaced a real rifle with a plastic toy that shoots a damn woodchuck round. First time I ever saw Gunny smile.

I have a Benelli Sport (original) made by H&K and a Benelli Ultralight. The BUL is my main bird killing machine, I shoot it better than any other shotgun. Not many people stick a poly choke on the end of a $1,500 shotgun but it works and works well. Just beware of the Benelli click.

[​IMG]

5. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:36 PM
    addicus24

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Benelli click? Help a brotha out. What's that?

6. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:40 PM
    95 taco

95 taco [OP] Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    This is also fairly common with the stoeger M models (Supposedly the same system as benelli), and it's a PITA, if you set your gun down hard the bolt may come out of battery and won't go back in unless you pull the bolt back and let it fall.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=273105
    The "Benelli Click" is when the bolt accidently comes out of battery and the trigger is pulled. The hammer strikes the back of the bolt body and not the firing pin. The result is a gun that does not fire, but makes a noise when the hammer hits the bolt body and the magazine release is set off and a shell is released (If rounds in the magazine).

It can happen to other brands and designs, but is most common in Inertia opearted models with a rotary bolt face. The best way around having it not happen is to be aware of the possible issue. You can use the Wolffe +25% spring to help reduce it some. It won't eliminate it though, andit makes the action a little stiffer and even less reliable with lighter loads.

Cold Iron likes this.
  7. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:45 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    Not here to argue, just to give you a different perspective maybe. How many shoot houses have you trained in? Probably a bunch. How many times have you practiced getting in a stack and clearing rooms? Once again, probably until you were blue in the face. The average guy who goes to the range 2-3 times a year and only shoots at a stationary target isn't going to be as proficient with a longgun indoors. Not to mention the stress of a scared wife or screaming kids, trying to call 911 etc. A dependable handgun with a mounted light will serve most well.

8. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:53 PM
    addicus24

Member:
    Vehicle:
    My understanding of Benellis is, it's a great brand for people using high brass loads that don't mind significant kick. With high brass loads, reliability increases with a Benelli. Sounds like what I'd want if I were a Marine down range. If, on the other hand, you would use the shotgun for bird hunting, sporting clays, or, God forbid, a home defense weapon that the little Missus might have to use, a Beretta just might be a better choice. I've just seen too many sporting clays shooters drop a target because their Benelli jammed. Kinda pissed of their partners to.

9. Jan 28, 2016 at 6:17 PM
    95 taco

95 taco [OP] Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    :woot:
    Folks we have gotten our first vote for Single shot rifle/ shotgun.
    I didn't expect that option to be used but we truly have one of every type listed on the poll now.

10. Jan 28, 2016 at 6:19 PM
    addicus24

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All God's Chill'en.

11. Jan 28, 2016 at 6:23 PM
    Cold Iron

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    :thumbsup: It can happen just by setting down the gun against a tree somedays. You do get in the habit of letting the bolt slamming home to make sure it is seated well. Something I have never seen before on the internet is that you can check to see if it has come out of battery by pushing up on the shell lifter on the bottom. If it is solid you're fine, if not time to reseat. I check it often when in the field.

Who ever said earlier that the OP likely didn't know guns is grossly mistaken. Just saying...

Most likely a Super Black Eagle or SBE2, the springs are pretty stiff on them. You can get replacement springs again Wolff springs. The M2, Sport, Super Sport, Cordobra, BUL etc. usually do not have this problem. My BUL weighs 6 pounds and I shoot 7/8 oz. @ 1200 fps for Sporting Clays because of the light weight and recoil. And it cycles fine. The 20 ga. M2 with 3" pheasant loads will knock your eye teeth into your piss sack as a gentleman once told me. The inertia operated guns do have a lot of recoil. As do my doubles.

12. Jan 28, 2016 at 6:25 PM
    bshell

bshell Well-Known Member

Member:
    greensboro, ga
    G2 bakflip,step bars , weathertech mats, kenwood dnn700HD.
    Glock 19 with a protec light that has strobe function.

image.jpg

13. Jan 28, 2016 at 6:26 PM
    1R0NMAN811

1R0NMAN811 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sneads Ferry, NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
    Great point and thanks for the perspective. I don't disagree at all. and +1 on the light!

14. Jan 28, 2016 at 6:30 PM
    95 taco

95 taco [OP] Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    Now if it's true that stoeger uses the benelli system then I'll say something real quick.
    I've shot close to 800 rounds of low brass bulk ammo and approximately 100 rounds of 3" or 3.5" duck loads (Mainly heavy metal) in the 6-7 months I've had my M3500.
    I do not use the recoil reducer as I believe it's a fix with no problem, but i've only had one failure to fire.
    I chose the inertia system because it's cleaner than a gas system, my cousin has a versamax and it shoot nice and soft but it's a heavier gun and I just don't shoot it as well.

15. Jan 28, 2016 at 6:35 PM
    95 taco

95 taco [OP] Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    Yep, It can be pretty easy to get the bolt to be pulled back just a hair and become out of battery.
    I learned to check my stoeger by looking at the lugs on the exterior of the bolt, if there's on centered or close to center it's not in battery, but if 2 are exposed at the edge of the ejection port it's in battery.

I missed that, I wouldn't say I'm super knowledgeable but I know enough I've built a few AR's and I'm starting to venture into the class 3 world.

16. Jan 28, 2016 at 6:36 PM
    addicus24

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hey, Cold Iron! I just don't know. You could add springs, recoil pads, extra weight, light loads, and you still won't have a shotgun as suited for sporting clays, or whole family home defense, as you would had you bought a Beretta. But, this is only my opinion. All I know is, I don't see many Benelli's on the sporting clays tour.
    Yeah, but I still love my doubles to, Cold Iron.

17. Jan 28, 2016 at 6:45 PM
    Cold Iron

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    Oh I love my double Beretta's especially for clays. Tradional bird men consider SxS as "traditon" but I prefer my pipes stacked over under. Main target gun is a JEG custom combo with EELL wood. No way I would smack an intruder with this stock

[​IMG]

My Beretta Ultralight has a fence post for a stock, but shoots and carries well in the field. She was pretty beat up and had the Beretta peanut butter finish so I stripped it and refinished it. Ground a Kickeez pad to fit and picked up a full set of Beretta Victory chokes on sale during Black Friday last year.

[​IMG]

18. Jan 28, 2016 at 6:55 PM
    LiveFreeOrDie2015

LiveFreeOrDie2015 Well-Known Member

Member:
    York PA
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD OFFROAD
    3in lift,Fox suspension,chaos UCA,AAL,leer 180 topper,SilverStar zXe headlights & fog lights,BAMF kickout sliders,Mobtown full skids,Pelfreybuilt center hoop, Pelfreybuilt Gas Tank Skid,50" curved LED light bar, Hood scoop LED, Tran cooler and fan,Oil Catch can,LED Strip lights under hood & Bed,
    That's the people who will commit suicide in fear of being hurt from a bad guy

T4RFTMFW and 95 taco[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  19. Jan 28, 2016 at 8:10 PM
    addicus24

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I gotta admit, I don't know anything about Stoeger shotguns. Seems like they make a SxS "coach gun". Looks pretty nice to me.
    You have some beautiful shotguns, Cold Iron. I live in the "Plantation Belt" in South Georgia. Shotguns, like the ones in your photographs are highly cherished here. The tradition of hunting quail, as our forefathers did, 150 years ago holds a very strong allure. The dog handlers/guides, the mules pulling the wagons, the horse you ride, the dogs working the birds in the early morning mist... Until you've done it, and fully appreciate the tradition, it's hard to explain, and even harder to understand. Such a genteel, peaceful, and historic way to spend a couple of days. Book a couple of days at an Orvis Endorsed Georgia quail plantation, you'll never forget it.

20. Jan 28, 2016 at 9:11 PM
    Adventurer_Alex

Adventurer_Alex Generic mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan XTERRA
    I use an 870 express for shooting clays :anonymous:

addicus24 likes this.

Products Discussed in