1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Homemade skid plates?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by NC15TRD, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Mar 2, 2017 at 5:27 AM
    mark1285

mark1285 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Yea i'm near glasboro. I'll be in that thread eventually for sure! Thanks for the input.

2. Apr 24, 2017 at 11:52 AM
    Reh5108

Reh5108 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 2.7L Extra Cab
    OME lift, 4x sliders, Demello rear bumper, custom front bumper, Engo 9000lb winch
    Made a trans and tcase skid.

3. Apr 24, 2017 at 12:05 PM
    Juforrest

Juforrest Dumb!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Reformed Taco driver in a GX460
    I work with stainless a lot as well as aluminum and all types of steel(a36, 572) blah blah. Anyway, I didn't see any mention of the significant difference in weight from a36 to stainless. I don't want to sound like a hater but I think your over thinking this. If you don't plan on getting crazy off road 1/4" aluminum is more than adequate for the occasional big ass rock in the road. Just guessing here but I think it would be close 50% lighter than stainless as well. If your just going with a front skid than do whatever floats your boat. If you are going all the way to the transfer case that's a lot of unnecessary weight.

4. Apr 27, 2017 at 11:35 PM
    InTheRough

InTheRough Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kolt
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra Platinum
    Rock Warrior wheels
    I forgot about this thread. I recently picked up a 5'x10' mechanized plasma table and am building a 50" SwagOffroad finger brake. These will be easy to build once my house is finished.

4x4Taco09 likes this.
  5. Apr 28, 2017 at 7:48 AM
    mark1285

mark1285 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I mostly agree, no arguing the weight. The strength of the stainless is great though and I'm planning on having this truck for a long time. Plus i'd have to weld and for some reason i struggle with aluminum as ameteur welder, and i can flow stainless and A36 really well. I'm probably just going to end up ordering skids though, i was really excited to work on my brand new truck when i first got it. Now i'm more excited to bolt things on and use it. Typical. Thanks for the feedback.

6. Apr 28, 2017 at 1:00 PM
    Reh5108

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    OME lift, 4x sliders, Demello rear bumper, custom front bumper, Engo 9000lb winch
    Tell the wife function over form! :D

Does the ifs skid use OEM mounts? Maybe cut the end of the ifs skid off that mounts to the OEM holes (if it does) :notsure:

Byb127 likes this.
  7. May 2, 2017 at 5:16 PM
    Reh5108

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    You could just put a spacer there and not worry about bending. Not sure how that may look though.

8. Jun 7, 2017 at 3:10 AM
    TacoTRD78

TacoTRD78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    4X Innovations Sliders Tech deck Bilstein 5100's OME 885 CB radio install Rear diff breather mod After market front bumper lights Redline hood struts Shorty antenna door seal protectors Glove box/ Center console motion light Trailer harness plug relocation mod/Edit SOS HC rear bumper Ditch mount Lights with CBI brackets morimoto fog lights
    IMG_1277.jpg @Trident904
    The Lil hamster that I call my brain is spinning on the hamster wheel non stop about the discussion we had last night.

Trident904 likes this.
  9. Jul 6, 2017 at 7:01 AM
    jjsul

jjsul Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    95.5 OME
    I have a couple questions if you don't mind @Dirty Pool

The bolt pockets:

Did you drill out a hole and then weld a small piece of plate to make a recessed mount?

The bends on the edges:

It looks like you had three main beds from a fabricator, but the bends on the edges aren't in your picture until later. Did you have the three bends done, then cut out the sides and bend them at home?

Front and rear mounts:

I think I saw you post more about this somewhere. I'm guessing I could use some 3/16 angle to replace the front mount and fab new rear mounts. Is that what you used?

10. Jul 7, 2017 at 12:06 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Rear pockets.
    First I drilled the one inch pocket holes in the skid and backed them up with 3/16 scabs. The cross member here is more or less an upside down U and the new mount plates to be welded in were sized to allow one corner to be accessed and tacked in place (one tack, nearly blind) with the skid in final position and the new plates sitting semi loose on top. Also at this time the hole locations were traced/transferred from the skid to the plates. At this point the skid, supported in place with a jack, was removed and the plates "twisted" out (breaking the tack weld). The plates were then drilled for bolt clearance holes and flange nuts welded on top. Finally, using the broken tack weld as a guide along with some other reference marks, the plates were welded in for good.

A front support could be all kinds of stock. 1"x2" .120" rectangular tube mimicking the factory shape works well and looks original. One could even reinforce the factory hanger. Now would be the time to make decisions in harmony with intended bumper design.
    On the other hand many folks get by with the OE front mount.

The "tabs" on the sides were added after the 3 main bends. Fully butt welded, ground and finished on the outside. My drop was not wide enough so weld on scraps was the only option.

This is the final template. Note where it says "add tabs" and the middle main bend 1/2" ahead of the control arm cut outs. This adds a bit of strength to the area and creates less of a "rock hook".
    The finished skid built exactly to the template bolted right in the first time with no "fitting" or cussing required.

1st gen, man trans radiator only.
    DSCN1030795x596_zps40c33996_748cdd6ee65e44975cf4867700d761938b188ab4.jpg

Pardon the rust.
    SKDPLT027_zpse2a2a6f0_b77bd553e7b17cfba8c7ee9cb7da3a0c5ffe8cf2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    03_taco_IN and jjsul[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Jul 7, 2017 at 1:41 PM
    jjsul

jjsul Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    95.5 OME
    :goingcrazy:

:bowdown:

Dirty Pool[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Sep 13, 2017 at 2:05 PM
    jjsul

jjsul Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    95.5 OME
    Finally got some time to start on this project.

Once again, thank you @Dirty Pool. I had made a template of my own in the spring, just to fool around w cardboard and fabbing. Mine wasn’t far off from the measurements you offered, so I went with yours. Total credit to you, sir. :hattip:

Everyone says to use 3/16 or 1/4 inch plate, but I’m broke at the moment and have 10 gauge laying around. I’m using that. I guess we’ll see how it holds up. I’ll add some angle to brace and maybe beef it up a bit.

I’m not so precise, but Ill always get a project done. I cut everything to size, and bent it into (relative) shape.

73469E84-57C3-4E43-8FE9-09F169724F7B.jpg

13. Sep 13, 2017 at 2:16 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    What is the whiskey bend method?

14. Sep 13, 2017 at 2:21 PM
    jjsul

jjsul Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    95.5 OME
    you cut a line on the metal, most of the way through, then you can bend it by hand. BoxRocket has a pic up somewhere in this thread showing some plate, a cut, and a wrench used to press and get extra leverage.

I used the whiskey bend method to make up this skid today.

15. Sep 13, 2017 at 2:23 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Wouldn't this compromise the skid for strength at these points?

jjsul[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Sep 13, 2017 at 2:27 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
  17. Sep 13, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    Fuergrissa

Fuergrissa If you build it, trails will come.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R Limited
    Added to my list of todo's

Edit: todo/make

jjsul likes this.
  18. Sep 13, 2017 at 3:33 PM
    jjsul

jjsul Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    95.5 OME
    Haha my bad. You gotta weld the cut after you bend it. You’re essentially scoring the metal so you can make a nice bend by hand. Then fill the cut with some weld material.

TXpro4X4[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Sep 13, 2017 at 5:47 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    The OP did not have a welder in his tool items list. Wonder how much it is to have someone do this

20. Sep 14, 2017 at 10:39 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Glad it's working out for you.

jjsul[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top