1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HomerTaco's Satoshi 101

Discussion in 'HomerTaco' started by HomerTaco, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 7, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco [OP] also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    It's time I put together all the terms & information in one thread. I get these questions over and over so from now on I'll direct folks here who may have questions on the mod.

First off what is "satoshi"???

If you look it up on Wikipedia you get this simple answer: is a masculine Japanese given name.

We on TacomaWorld refer to a satoshi as a custom modified grill that looks like this:

[​IMG]

The first one I saw in person was on a 05' Double Cab that belongs to a former TW Member "Secret Squirrel".
    Apparently he was one of the first people to do this mod & the original person to do this was named Satoshi .

There are many threads posting "how-to's" on different ways to achieve the "Satoshi" look. This thread will concentrate on the terms I use to describe the parts & process.

I am not ready to create a "how-to" of my own process. This thread will serve simply as a reference point to members who want to know more about the mod.

First lets discuss the actual 2nd Gen Grill.
    There are two parts to all grills from 2005 to 2011. (2012 is a different design)
    The outer surround:
    [​IMG]

And the inner surround:
    [​IMG]

The examples shown are aftermarket replacement grills. The OEM grill is plastic welded together.
    (It can be separated & re-attached though - see this thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...parate-reattach-two-piece-2nd-gen-grille.html )

The back of the outer surround has plastic "tabs" that get plastic welded to the inner surround & hold the two together:

[​IMG]

Now in order to achieve the "satoshi" look, one must remove the center part of the inner surround...

The result of removing that part leaves you with this:

[​IMG]

The part that make many people bug out of doing this mod is the body work required to fill in these holes that are left after removing the center of the grill.

There are methods of using Bondo, epoxy, and/or plastic to achieve this.

The end result being an inner surround that looks like this:

[​IMG]

Once you have completed all of this the next part of the process is to fill in this open space with mesh. (I have several that I sell here but it is also available online from other vendors)

There are also many methods for securing the mesh to the inner surround. Most of these also involve epoxy in some form or another.

Here process that I use to secure the mesh. It is simple, quick, and very secure.

For those that decide to open the two triangle pieces:

The holes are drilled with a 1/8 bit
    [​IMG]

For the top of the triangle another hole in the little plastic "bridge" support:
    [​IMG]

For the main section of the grill you can drill holes in a few strategic locations that will allow you to securely fasten the mesh:

These I did with a 1/4" bit.

The sides:
    [​IMG]

The bottom:
    [​IMG]

The top:
    [​IMG]
    This does not require drilling - you can just loop the zip-tie around the factory supports to secure the mesh.

Here is a picture of some M1 mesh mounted using this method:

[​IMG]

I have lost count of how many grills I have made, but here are a few more examples of variations on the theme:

A "thin-lip" satoshi, where instead of the mesh being recessed a full 2 1/2" from the front of the grill, it is set back only 3/4".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A "reduced-depth" satoshi where the recess is set at 1 1/2" from the front lip:

[​IMG]
    (thanks OZ-T)

A "Homeroshi" Grill where the plastic cut outs on the sides are not filled in, but instead mesh is shaped to the new contour of the inner surround:

[​IMG]
    (thanks rcbs204)

A flush mount mesh grill where a thinner gauge mesh is "sandwiched" between the inner & outer surrounds creating a look similar to a GrillCraft insert:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Custom cut out of the recessed sides to accommodate custom mesh design:

(My signature "TRD" Grill):eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for looking! I'll post more info here if there is a need.

~ Craig

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    MrT likes this.
  2. Nov 7, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
  3. Nov 7, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    Nice thread :thumbsup:

4. Nov 7, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Thank you Susan. I should shake his hand....
    [​IMG]

RobertoCreator and GarageGirl18 like this.
  5. Nov 8, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Added hotlink to OP... Thanks Marcel!

6. Nov 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    By request here are the locations I drill holes to attach mesh for the thin lip application:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is shown from the front side with the outer surround not attached yet.

7. Nov 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    Thank you very much good sir!

8. Jan 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    Hey buddy, where are the holes drilled for attachment on the thin lips? Both triangles and mesh? Not a whole lot of room to work with..

9. Jan 6, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Look up at post #6

Those are the exact locations I use.

10. Jan 12, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    I apologize for that. Was tired when I sent that post haha finishing it up today!! I'll post some picturs for you shortly after :)

11. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    Greenbergler

Greenbergler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd sport DCLB 4x4
    So you just use zip ties to attatch the mesh?

12. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I might need a satoshi for my F150..

13. Apr 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Yes. I had the same Satoshi on my truck for like two years with zero issues using that method.
    Can't really help you there. :eek:

14. Apr 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    Greenbergler

Greenbergler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd sport DCLB 4x4
    Cool! Thanks! :thumbsup:

15. Dec 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM
    mo13

mo13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Orange park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    Icon RR extended length coilovers with cdc,Icon RR 2.0 custom length shocks, Icon tube UCA,all pro standard leaf pack,allpro u bolt flip kit,extended front and rear steel braided brake lines,CMC,super bumps, color matched mirror covers, relentless fab front bumper, smittybilt 8k winch with syn line, viking thimble and hawse fairlead, d2s retro fits, 20" led bar on bamf bracket, 4 rigid duallys, skygear fuse box, viper remote start, and a very shotty made satoshi raptor mesh grill made by myself haha
    Is there any help you can give me as to where exactly to cut the grill to make a thin lip satoshi? Is Ive been trying to figure it out and all I can think of is tape the inside and measure about 1.5" from the back and drawing a line and cutting and hoping it works.

16. Dec 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
    Why don't you at least use Stainless Steel Zip ties for mounting the mesh? When I used to build them I used L-brackets that I fiberglassed into the back of the grille and riveted the mesh to them. I have gotten to see a few of yours in person including a high end Raptor style and you do nice work Homer. Just wondering why cheap out on how the mesh is held?

None the less nice write up and you have a huge waiting list so its working. :thumbsup:

17. Dec 10, 2013 at 5:20 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Measure in from the front lip of the grill 5/8" or so and cut all the way around.
    Simple as that. ;)

The reason is simple:
    My first grill I made I used the standard zip ties. It stayed on my truck for years with zero issues of holding on.
    It's not "cheaping out" on how it is fastened - it works well and they are readily available for everyone

You've got to keep in mind that we are attaching two very different materials together here - plastic and metal. I have always erred on the side of caution and have used a fastener that will allow for natural expansion and contraction due to temperature changes.

18. Dec 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    mo13

mo13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Orange park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    Icon RR extended length coilovers with cdc,Icon RR 2.0 custom length shocks, Icon tube UCA,all pro standard leaf pack,allpro u bolt flip kit,extended front and rear steel braided brake lines,CMC,super bumps, color matched mirror covers, relentless fab front bumper, smittybilt 8k winch with syn line, viking thimble and hawse fairlead, d2s retro fits, 20" led bar on bamf bracket, 4 rigid duallys, skygear fuse box, viper remote start, and a very shotty made satoshi raptor mesh grill made by myself haha
    Thanks alot man

19. Dec 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    joshuarubin09

joshuarubin09 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma, Sport, Double Cab. Black with a 3"
    Plasti Dipped Rims, 3" lift, painted head lights.
    What are other ways ppl attach the grill that work also? I'm about to do this mod this week and was wondering what other options there were?

20. Dec 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM
    tribum

tribum Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 LB Tacoma
    ARB Bumper, winch, Camburg UCAs, DR coilovers, 18x9 KMC Black Rockstars, Nitto Grapplers, Rigid LED lights (small driving lights, and 10" bar), Pioneer Nav System, Kicker Speakers, WeatherTech floormats, Leer shell, BedRug, Gibson Catback exhaust, Volant Cold Air Intake, Rear add-a-leafs
To Top