1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hood light pods

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by aaol1, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Oct 16, 2015 at 3:50 PM
    aaol1

aaol1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sam
    victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    10' TRD sport DCLB
    Rear diff breather Plasti dip emblems and rims Garmin glo GPS receiver + ram mount with tablet Toytec BOSS lift with rear AAL Custom steel bolt-on sliders with kickout Custom aluminum bed rack Wild Coast Tents Sundog RTT mounted to rack 2 x Treds PRO Lime green mounted to rack Shovel + Hi-lift mounted to rack Cheap bush bar 2 x CREE LED light pods with hood mounts 265/75R16 Hercules Terra Trac ATII
  2. Oct 16, 2015 at 4:52 PM
    Team Flatline

Team Flatline Not squatin' w/ my spurs on...

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Up a creek, Fla
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Maxtrac'd, Icons, Dakars...........
    Definitely not pointless. Helps loads if you aim them slightly to the roadside to see what's in the ditches and roadside ahead (deer, hogs, coyotes, cows, etc.) I have the Rigid Hyperspots on hood brackets and I drive 50 miles on a 2 lane rural road to work each day before daylight. They definitely add the additional lighting much further down the road than just your headlights. The Hyperspots produce so little glare off of the hood that I don't notice it at all while driving.

The ones that you linked will produce glare I'm afraid as the reflector bowls are not very deep and there are no convex optics to project the light in a narrow, pencil beam. They may do alright for you but will produce glare much more than I'm sure you would like.
    You might also consider something like the VisionX Light Cannons as they have a single led and very deep reflector.
    They're also plenty of knockoffs of both of these lights on fleabay, but you do get what you pay for in the long run.

Hope this helps somewhat.

aaol1[OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 16, 2015 at 5:07 PM
    aaol1

Member:
    First Name:
    sam
    victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    10' TRD sport DCLB
    Rear diff breather Plasti dip emblems and rims Garmin glo GPS receiver + ram mount with tablet Toytec BOSS lift with rear AAL Custom steel bolt-on sliders with kickout Custom aluminum bed rack Wild Coast Tents Sundog RTT mounted to rack 2 x Treds PRO Lime green mounted to rack Shovel + Hi-lift mounted to rack Cheap bush bar 2 x CREE LED light pods with hood mounts 265/75R16 Hercules Terra Trac ATII
    yea thanks a bunch! that definitely helps, and i mean i guess im just trying to upgrade on a budget right now...even if they only last me a year or 2 it would still be okay. could you link the knockoffs of the ones you mentioned? theres so many on there I dont know which one would be good or not, if you dont mind

4. Oct 16, 2015 at 5:46 PM
    Team Flatline

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Up a creek, Fla
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Oct 16, 2015 at 9:52 PM
    aaol1

Member:
    First Name:
    sam
    victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    10' TRD sport DCLB
    awesome thank you!

6. Oct 16, 2015 at 9:54 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    caliraised makes some good pods for ditchlights

7. Oct 17, 2015 at 1:01 AM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    I have those cannons listed above. Awesome btw. They are Cree knock offs of the vision x brand.

8. Oct 18, 2015 at 8:04 AM
    Icepuck72

Icepuck72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    OME 885's, Dakars, TRD Trail Edition Wheels, 285x75x16 Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Fog Light mod, 2 Baby seats
    do you happen to have a pic of these installed? They look small from the eBay pic.

9. Oct 18, 2015 at 1:11 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
  10. Oct 18, 2015 at 11:29 PM
    Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Icon Suspension with CDCV, SPC Light Racing UCAs, Wheeler's 3 Leaf AAL, Wheeler's Superbumps, sPod SE BAMF Sliders, All-Pro Skids, AFE Drop in filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, RCI Aluminum LCA Skids, BAMF Bed Brackets, 4X Innovations Rear Bumper, FX-R Retrofit Headlights with Philips 4300k, Custom Nestah Edition Firestik AM/FM Antenna, Famous Fab Hood brackets, FrontRunner SlimLine 2 Roof Rack, Mob Town Offroad tailgate reinforcement plate, Ram A pillar mount, Anti-Dark hood lights, Lots of LED lights,
    Mine do not. I have them pointed slightly to the side. The only time I notice any glare is when the inside/outside of my windshield is foggy.

11. Oct 20, 2015 at 10:16 AM
    boogie3478

boogie3478 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off-Road V6
    All the mods
    Rigid Duallys FTW

12. Oct 21, 2015 at 12:11 PM
    Baja Designs

Baja Designs The Scientist of Lighting Vendor

Member:
    San Marcos, CA
    When mounting lights on the hood It is better to stay with a Spot pattern to avoid spill on the hood. Going with a Driving/Combo or Wide Cornering will result in extra hood glare.
    In some cases the Wide Cornering lights are mounted on the hood and aimed out towards the sides of the road. That is the only situation that I would recommend that pattern on the hood.

Here is a good option for you! Our Squadron Sport, Pair, Spot:
    http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail/557801-Squadron-Sport-Pair-Spot-Led

MSRP: $229.95
    TW: $206.95

Thank You,
    Bailey, Baja Designs

13. Oct 21, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Wait just a second here, that's for a PAIR!? CRAP! I always thought your pricing on those was for just one. Lol. That, is a sweet deal. So I regret posting up clones of your products. I of course only suggest those if someone's on a really tight budget. Because they are certainly not gonna be as awesome as the real deal. Damn I'm gonna have to reconsider my own options and consider replacing my Cree vision x clones with your squadrons! I won't be posting those clones up anymore;) So please don't put me on your shit list. Haha. I'm gonna ask to have that posting removed actually.

Baja Designs[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Oct 21, 2015 at 1:52 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    Baja Designs likes this.
  15. Oct 25, 2015 at 10:46 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    I've been lurking more on eBay and I think with that second set that Eric linked, the 20w osrams, would be your best bet for a budget light. I didn't even see those up there last time. But yeah those are a really tight focused spot beam. I wouldn't get the riorand brand. They are the lowest of low quality led lights from what I've heard. Spend just a lil more. And honestly just about any light even floods won't be absolutely terrible. But I can't say for sure as I have a black hood and I think that helps some...

Get what you want. If you don't like them, send em back and get something different.

Edit: And another thing, is that those little cubes, are generally meant to be ditch lights. Not down the road lights. Many people here mount them pointing forward. Which is fine as they do add light. But, seems to me would be more useful in your situation as you're worried about hood glare, and wanting the cube lights, to use them as actual "ditch" lights and just angle them out to the sides... Idk. Just throwing that out there. If you wanted something for front lighting, don't get the cubes.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  16. Oct 26, 2015 at 9:14 AM
    aaol1

Member:
    First Name:
    sam
    victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    10' TRD sport DCLB
  17. Oct 26, 2015 at 9:18 AM
    aaol1

Member:
    First Name:
    sam
    victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    10' TRD sport DCLB
  18. Oct 27, 2015 at 5:18 AM
    Team Flatline

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Up a creek, Fla
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Great find Sam. Just aim them slightly towards the roadside (5-10 degrees off-center) and vertically level and you'll be set. I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised how much more of what's ahead that you'll see.

Another thing to consider now, is "fill". The spots that you have will illuminate in a sharp concentrated beam, leaving areas above, below and to the sides without the benefit of the "extra" light. The pods that you originally linked will work to provide the "fill". Also, any other type of "flood" light (whether a bar, pod, etc.) mounted lower than your spots, say on your bumper, would be an excellent way to complete the package.

Good luck,
    Eric

19. Oct 27, 2015 at 2:10 PM
    aaol1

Member:
    First Name:
    sam
    victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    10' TRD sport DCLB
    awesome thanks for the feedback! much appreciated :)

20. Nov 3, 2015 at 5:49 PM
    Lelandt

Lelandt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tavish
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR
    bully bull bar, halo/angle eye headlights, 20" cree led light bar mounted on bull bar. 42" radius light bar from extreme LEDs 2 led pods, Spare tire mount on bed
    Mine barly reflect at all more off the antenna than anything. And I love them I got cheep China pods with Cree leds spot lights. 50$ for the pair and the don't leak and throw some light far, nothing like the glare from the roof mount. Lol

image.jpg

kydreamers likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top