1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hood scoop vs non hood scoop

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2004TacomaSR5, Jul 13, 2011.

?

hood scoop vs non hood scoop

1. hood scoop

66.5%
  2. no hood scoop

33.5%
  1. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    DubyaDawg

DubyaDawg Underprepared and Overconfident

Member:
    Tulsa/Norman, OK
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner TRD Sport
    Avid Light Bar, KC Dayliters, Roll-N-Lock bed cover, TRD Center Caps, Fog Light Anytime Mod.
    You have to coat it in plastidip first, its the only way to contain that sort of power.

2. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    I suggest this: Get a fresh roadkilled squirell, trout, baby fox or cabbage patch doll and stuff it in the snork.
    Jump out at a redlight and yell "WTF, turbo's set to high"!
    Hop back in, peel out and grin.

3. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    Scoop=cool
    No scoop= terrorist

4. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.

Pretty sure all the rivets and screws do that. Who knew my truck without the scoop was just waiting to fall apart?

Scoop = Enjoys man sausage daily.
    No scoop = Likes the Taco the way god intended.

5. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    x2 I agree. Plus we came from an era when they built cars with functional scoops and "shakers" which were scoops actually attached to the carburator and protruded through a cutout in the hood:)
    hey but the fakey scoop toyota has is nothing compared to some of the fakery of the 80s-the infamous A-Team's van with nonfunctional sidepipes but you could plainly see the single "real" tailpipe out behind the rear tire in almost every scene-the one thing that made me refuse to watch that dumb show:D
    Then Chevy comes up with the "Choochoo El Camino" with fake scoop and fake sidepipes. I was very angry at Chevy for that-what's the point of all this fauxbaggery?? Reminds me of one Saturday night we were cruising El Camino in San Mateo and came across this skinny kid who was an affront to all the muscle cars down there..he had a 1963 Plymouth Valiant that he either inherited from his grandma or stole from a librarian-he had a 4-barrel carburator bolted to the center of his hood:D I don't care who you are that's funny right there!

6. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    rex99

rex99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Rocket Boosters, Flux Capacitor, Escape Pod, Throttle Body Spacer, Homeroshi, ATRAC disable
    scoop = u jelly?
    no scoop = jelly

7. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    jaw154

jaw154 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD Off road
    Soon...
    I like the hood scoop and plan on getting one here in the near future :D

8. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    mxnborder

mxnborder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Santa Barbara
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 sport - black on black on black
    DR coilovers AAl 285 kelly safaris lightbar/skidplate need more!
    i love the look of the scoop even though it serves no purpose except making our trucks look better than ones without them :D
    It would have been cool for people who don't like the scoop to be able to get all the color match like the sports b/c that makes it look alotttt better i think, i painted my non sport grille surround to match before i got my new truck. .

9. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    When I purchased my truck there was a radiant red Offroad and Sport sitting side by side. Looking over both it was obvious the Sport looked nice with it's matching accents but the poser scoop didn't settle well with me and I wondered what else was fake. After going through the Offroad model and seeing every switch had a purpose instead of blank spaces and the rear locker it was a easy decision.

10. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    rex99

rex99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Rocket Boosters, Flux Capacitor, Escape Pod, Throttle Body Spacer, Homeroshi, ATRAC disable
    Good thing you got the OR.... Sports' tires are fake, also

11. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    TT11

TT11 Active Member

Member:
    I think it looks very cool - but knowing that it is non-functional totally ruins it for me; I would not want to have one. I have the TRD off-road and I am very happy that it doesn't have the scoop.

12. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    No scoop.

13. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    The scoop enhances my off-roadability.

:brianr:

14. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    DP4x4

DP4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2011 White DC SB TRD Offroad 4x4
    AFE Stage II CAI, OME complete 3" lift w/ aal, 285/75/16 BFG AT TA KO, 55w 6000k headlights, 35w 3000k fog lights, Gibson Cat-Back System, Color matched grille, Grillcraft, Black lower valance, Black TRD skid plate
    I test drove a sport model and that damn scoop was always in the way and was so annoying, plus it looks retarded. Went with the OR cause everything that was offered in the package makes sense. Any1 who wants to put a scoop on their OR model might as well get a glue on scoop from auto zone.

15. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    apparently only real men dislike scewps b/c they're fake. no fake titties for yall then....more for me!!!

16. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    Gritesh

Gritesh Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just bought a sport model this past week haven't driven it yet waiting for the dealership to call me and say its ready...the scoop looks neat but I know its going to bother me that it is non functional...

17. Jul 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    Well, now that you mention it the Offroad that I got had crap rugged fail tires. I sold them with around 15,000 miles and upgraded to bfg a/t's. Looking back if I had known how shitty those tires were before puchaseing I would have insisted they swapped them out for the a/t's. I'm sure nothing else is fake on the Sport model...but after finding out the scoop wasn't functional it just seemed kinda strange that Toyota would do that to a truck. I've had Toyota trucks before and everything on them had a some kind of purpose and function. The scoops do look nice...it's a shame they don't actually do anything.

18. Jul 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    motorsport36

motorsport36 Black Lights Matter

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Furnace, AZ
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 AC 4x4
    :facepalm: And the saga continues! It has no function, true, but it looks cool as hell. If you can see over it then you need to blame your parents for that and sit on a phonebook while you drive. I live in Phoenix AZ, home of the actual sun itself and I have never had any glare off of my hood! I couldn'y justify spending the extra money on the sport model, but i did pick up a hood quite cheap and it looks great

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Jul 13, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    maynard512

maynard512 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 white trd offroad double cab
    20" XD Hoss rims, Nitto terra grapplers, race runner coilover with 3 inch lift, shatoshi grill, bhlm headlights, Clairon double din, 2 kicker cvt 10", flow master dual turndown exhaust, avs vent visors, 20 % tint all around, 8k HID,
    I wish I had a hood scoop. Ill trade with some on!?

20. Jul 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    blasphemy....the ATRAC, flat hood, locker gods will smite you!!!

oh yeah....and it's a damn hood....get over it. if ya dont like it, dont buy one....end of story.

Products Discussed in

To Top