1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hooking up aftermarket horn

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by rogerkamp8817, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Feb 16, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    rogerkamp8817

rogerkamp8817 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota TRD Off-Road 4x4, AC, Superwhite
    I'm considering installing this horn in my tacoma:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/compact+italian+air+horns.do?sortby=ourPicks

I used to have that same horn in my old VW GTi. I've gotten rid of the car and no longer have this horn, but it is definitely very loud. I had to wire in a relay because this thing draws 18 amps and I didn't want to fry the wires. I'm thinking I will have to do the same in my Tacoma.

My question is:

Does the factory Tacoma have 2 horns? 1 that is meant for the alarm and one that is separate for the actually horn button? That was how my old car was setup.

The reason I ask is because I don't want to hit "lock" on my key and have the crazy loud after market horn go off... I only want it to go off when I press the the horn button on my steering wheel.

edit: Now that I think about it, i think my truck "beeps" when i hit lock and unlock so maybe I don't have to worry about this issue! All I have to do is hook up a 4 prong relay to my existing horn and wire up the new horn this way.... inputs/comments appreciated!

2. Feb 17, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    Yota Toy

Yota Toy Taco Sauce

Member:
    FX retros, Blazer fog-light retro, JVC KW-NT30HD head unit, Pioneer 6X9's in front doors, Pioneer 6.5's in rear doors, two Pioneer 12" subs in sealed boxes, Sony X-Plod amp, Hidden Hitch trailer hitch, EGR window visors, two PIAA low-tone horns, Westin light bar with two 100-watt KC low profile driving lights.
    I believe the arm/disarm confirmation is a beep, not the horn as you already indicated. However, if the alarm does go off I believe it uses the horn for the alarm. I would consider this an advantage as far as having a really loud horn. It should be easy enough to confirm this, hit the panic button on your remote to verify...

Products Discussed in

To Top