1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hooking up lights to factory setup

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ColbyC, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Apr 8, 2014 at 6:47 PM
    ColbyC

ColbyC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    Maine/Mass
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X4 V6 AC 6-SPD
    Icon Extended Travel Coils, Icon 2.0 Resis, Light Racing UCAs, TRD Skid, TRD Exhaust, Thule Rack, Sport Grille, BHLM
    This has probably been hashed out before, but I can't seem to find answers. So I will be getting a steel bumper and my factory fogs will be history. Because the bumper is a hybrid and no place for lower fogs, is there any options to hook up a light bar or other lights to the existing wires? Is there a light bar that would work with this?

Sorry, wiring is far from my expertise. A little help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Apr 8, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You can use the factory wiring as long as the lighting you add is close to the same draw as the stock lights (35W). If you want to add lights with more draw to where the stock wires won't stand up, there are a couple ways to go about it. The first, and simplest, is to use the factory wiring as a trigger wire for a new relay. Wire that relay as you would any aftermarket light that way the new lights will have their own separate power supply and heavier wiring to handle the load but still using the stock switch for function.

The second option is probably the option I would take if it were me and that's to rewire the stock switch to function but with heavier wires to handle the higher loads.

3. Apr 9, 2014 at 1:47 AM
    ColbyC

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    Maine/Mass
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X4 V6 AC 6-SPD
    Icon Extended Travel Coils, Icon 2.0 Resis, Light Racing UCAs, TRD Skid, TRD Exhaust, Thule Rack, Sport Grille, BHLM
    Awesome! Thank you for your input! Good things to keep in mind.

4. Apr 9, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    ColbyC

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    Maine/Mass
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X4 V6 AC 6-SPD
    Do you know of any lights that would look good mounted to the top of a bumper between a grille guard? Perhaps some that have 35w

Stupid question, totally new to lights and wiring.

5. Apr 9, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    theblindchicken

theblindchicken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    '74 K10
    HID's, LED Dash swap, LED reverse lights, 15"x10" 5 slot mags, sliding rear window, 20gal aux. DS fuel tank,
    The only issue with increasing the wire gauge and using it for higher draw lights is you're limited by the specs of the switch versus you'd only be limited by the specifications of the relay (which tend to allow much higher amperages).

Figure out what lights you want to use. Most likely, you won't be given any information beyond the wattage of it's power consumption.

To figure out the current draw:

Power (Watts) = V (Volts) x I (Amps)

For example, your lights total wattage is 340W, voltage is 12v. Plug them in, solve for I and your total draw should be about 28.3 Amps.

Products Discussed in

To Top