1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hooking Up Winch Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Turbonium, May 13, 2008.

1. May 13, 2008 at 2:57 PM
    Turbonium

Turbonium [OP] I wanna haul stuff

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 4x2 Access Cab w/SnugTop
    Mods? What's a mod? Bone stock, baby. Well, okay. Maybe a few smallish mods. If you count a locking gas cap, coin holder and a behind-the-seat trash bag.
    I'm not that great with automotive electronics. I know just enough to get myself in trouble, so I have a pretty basic question. Here's some background first:

I'm going to install the wiring for a small hitch lift on an '08 Access Cab [4-cylinder]. I've got the hardware for the hitch lift and it includes some pretty heavy-duty gauge wire to run from the back of the pickup near the hitch to the battery in front.

I've purchased a 50-amp circuit breaker and an on/off switch for the circuit. The on/off switch isn't strictly necessary, but I figured what-the-heck. I think I'm set with the basic hardware, and running the cable should be pretty easy [fingers crossed].

Now the question: The instructions for the hitch lift say to attach the black/negative wire to a suitable ground point on the chassis [bare metal]. The Ramsey site says you can hook their winches up directly to the battery [both negative and positive]. I went to the Ramsey site because they have excellent info on their winches, and my hitch lift--while not a Ramsey--utilizes a winch as the lifting 'engine' for the lift, therefore...

Does it matter whether or not I hook the black/negative wire to the chassis or to the battery? My guess is 'no', but then again, I don't know.

I'm also guessing that the reason manufacturers suggest attaching negative/ground wires to the chassis is to avoid the possibility of sparks during installation/deinstallation, and thus the possibility of explosions, so the advice is more of a potential safety warning to avoid the potential for a battery explosion.

Any info you can supply on this subject that will set me straight is most appreciated.

2. May 13, 2008 at 3:04 PM
    Versoel

Versoel Member

Member:
    Fayetteville NC
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 with 3 inch OME lift
    3 inch old man emu lift
    It doesnt matter where you connect the black wire. It a better ground if its directly to the battery, but anywhere to the body or frame will do as well.

3. May 13, 2008 at 3:18 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    +1 It doesn't matter. Connecting it to the frame usually requires much less wire than running it all the way to the battery at the front of the truck. Good luck!

4. May 13, 2008 at 6:26 PM
    Turbonium

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Mods? What's a mod? Bone stock, baby. Well, okay. Maybe a few smallish mods. If you count a locking gas cap, coin holder and a behind-the-seat trash bag.
    Thanks for the help guys.

Another question popped into my head after I wrote my first question:

Are there any issues about disconnecting the battery other than having to reset your radio stations? I think the ECU resets itself [and I don't *think* that's a problem], but is there anything else?

Again, my instincts say 'no', but there's this very cryptic warning in the Toyota User's Manual that says something like "...before you disconnect your battery talk to your Toyota dealer...", or something like that.

It's in the Airbag section of the manual, so maybe they're referring to Airbags specifically [that's my guess], but any insights you have would be appreciated.

Just so you know: I plan on disconnecting both battery terminals and attaching the previously mentioned hitch lift directly to both the positive and negative terminals on the battery, hence the question about disconnecting the battery.

5. May 13, 2008 at 6:40 PM
    08beachtoy

08beachtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08' reg cab 4x4 2.7ltr 5 spd
    Sony cd player /ipod , small amp, bed mat from Dee Zee , A.R.E. custom cap with yakima racks, weather gaurd floor mats , oem fog lights ,oem DRL mod, class III hitch ,custom bed mounted power inverter, tinted windows 5 % all around, oem hood protector /bugshield , avs door visors ,wet okole seat covers , Train air horn
    I have had mine unhooked twice while doing wiring and its fine no issues here

6. May 13, 2008 at 6:46 PM
    Turbonium

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Cool. Thanks!

I like to know what I'm getting into before I start... I've had way too many of those "Ah [crud]! I didn't know the [fleeting] [whatever] would [whatever] or else I wouldn't have [fleeting] [whatever'd] it! [Dag nabbit]!" moments. :)

7. May 13, 2008 at 10:50 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    yeah, same here. i've unhooked it about 10 times now while building my winch bumper so that i could weld on the bumper while bolted to the truck and ive had no issues. i think the ecu does reset though because it seems to shift a little different for a day or so and then it gets better.

8. May 14, 2008 at 9:11 AM
    Finsterino

Finsterino Active Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    What the heck is a hitch lift? Is it a small winch to pull a ATV into the bed??? :confused:

For serious winching, I would provide the lowest resistance path: pos and neg power cables wired from winch right to battery.

But Bubba did my rear - removable winch, and that runs off a battery in the bed, because he didn't want to mess with large cables running all the way up front. Rear battery is charged from trailer power connector. Bubba Says TM that this design should be fine for short duration, medium force pulls - before the battery is too low. :D

9. May 15, 2008 at 2:45 AM
    Turbonium

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    This is a picture of a hitch lift. It's useful for getting heavy loads into your pickup when there's no one else around to help you lift it, or when the thing you want to get into your truck doesn't have wheels, and a ramp won't work.

They attach to your hitch receiver and can be either temporarily attached or just left in place--the platform folds up when not in use, and there's a small spot underneath the platform for attaching a license plate if you keep the hitch lift attached to your vehicle all the time; it's visible when the hitch lift platform is folded up. They weigh about 150lbs. I think (haven't weighed mine).

They usually lift up to 500lbs.

Hitch Lift.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top