1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

(Hopefully) Soon to be Tacoma Owner

Discussion in 'New Members' started by 2000GM, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Apr 9, 2007 at 6:31 PM
    2000GM

2000GM [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello all. Just making the customary "First New Guy Post." I'm shopping around for a Double Cab 4X4 and have been lurking here a bit to learn.

My current truck is an '04 quad cab Ram SLT 4X4. At 78,000 miles it's starting to show its age a bit. Don't get me wrong it's been an awesome trouble free truck, it's just that I get doubtfull for some reason when I think of the future with it. I put a lot of miles quick on my vehicles and I'm hoping that by going with a Taco, when I'm done paying for it in 4 years and it has 120K or so on the clock it will still have plenty of trouble free life left in it. Plus, I almost never need a full size anyhow.

I think the smaller sportier feel of the Taco will be a welcome change. All I need is room to put my ATV (Honda 400EX) and home project materials in the bed, and my 2 boys (5 and 8) need a decent back seat.

Hopefully I come to a deal I like on what I want and will be participating more here. I joined another Taco forum the other day, but its atmosphere is just too nasty for my liking.

2. Apr 10, 2007 at 6:12 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    The truck you're looking for is a great truck, but when test driving, be very aware of any vibrations at low speeds. Alot of us with quad cabs have noticed a very slight vibration at certain rpms or speeds. Good luck with your search and welcome to TW

3. Apr 10, 2007 at 7:16 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    Welcome to TW. I too came out of a Dodge, although I really didn't like that truck. The Taco was a definite trade up, much more fun to drive and so much cooler looking.

If you're going to be hauling an ATV I would wait for that long bed (referring to your other post).

4. Apr 10, 2007 at 7:53 AM
    2000GM

2000GM [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks. Like I said, the Ram has actually been a great truck. Neither my wife or myself ever really liked it that much though. My previous truck was an F-150 FX4 and we both loved it. Only reason I traded that in on the Ram was I wanted more power and a larger rear seat. The hemi is a great engine and it's great effortlessly crusing 80 mph at 2,000 rpm and taking long uphill grades like a diesel with no need to downshift, but it dives like a lumbering tugboat compared the the Ford.

I know some manage to haul bikes and ATVs in the regular bed, but I really like being able to close the tailgate behind it and therefore only needing one strap to tie down. There just doesn't seem to be a trustworthy way to strap in an ATV in a regular bed with the tailgate down. For short trips maybe, but I make 2 hour rides on the highway at 65-70 mph sometimes. The in-rail tie downs just don't impress me much. I'm sure they're fine for holding something straight down into the bed, but I don't know that I would trust them to hold an ATV not just down, but also from flying back out of the bed.

Bottom line is that I can think of multiple times when I'd say, "Damn, I wish I got that longbed!" I can't think of many situations where I'd say, "Damn, I wish I had got that shortbed!" I do like the looks of the shortbed better. It's more sporty. Other than that though it's the longbed for me.

5. Apr 10, 2007 at 8:07 AM
    sak3358

sak3358 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to the group. Today I accept delivery of my TRD Sport, short bed. I live in the DC area and the long bed was just too big for my needs. Looking forward to doing a couple of mods once I get my grubby fingers on it. Know what you mean about the other forum...they have a 'tude of sorts.

6. Apr 10, 2007 at 11:55 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
  7. Apr 10, 2007 at 12:26 PM
    2000GM

2000GM [OP] Member

Member:
    Yes, thank you. I've read many posts re: puting the tie-downs in up front. If I get the truck I will come up with something. Something substantially reinforced because i will want the truck to last me a long time, and I'd hate for any weakening of the bed material caused by it to surface and bit me in the butt a few years down the road.

Products Discussed in

To Top