1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How are your 5-Lug Road Trips?

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by Tumor21, May 31, 2021.

1. May 31, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    Tumor21

Tumor21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I had an ‘87 Xtra Cab 22RE 4x4 5spd swap, 4.30gearing, 31x10.50s, for 10 years and loved it. It was my little go anywhere 350k mile Donkey. I used it off-road less and less and 5 years ago I let it go and miss driving a yota truck. I’m in a very comfy 2006 Acura TSX right now, which is great on road but I miss having a simpler more rugged vehicle. I’m thinking of replacing it and getting a 2013+ 5-Lugger 2wd for daily driving (15mile commute in Orange County, Ca) and for my wife and I to do more camping/road trips in. I’m looking for the reliability of a Yota truck, but a good ride and decent mpg. What have your experiences with long trips and daily driving?

2. Jun 1, 2021 at 6:01 AM
    jsheets1

jsheets1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    2005 White Tacoma 2wd Base
    Long trips kill me in my taco and I'm 23 if that tells you anything.

3. Jun 1, 2021 at 4:04 PM
    clifpaul

clifpaul Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 access cab 5 lug
    Too many to fit here now!
    I live north of Dallas and I've driven my little 5 lug access cab to the gulf coast 4 or 5 times including a trip to New Orleans. Ride and gas mileage are okay. But make sure you get one with cruise control if you're planning to make long trips. Otherwise plan to make stops to get out and stretch your legs.

4. Jun 2, 2021 at 12:53 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    My 5-lug has the SR5 #2 package which includes cruise control among other goodies. The cruise system is not smart but I agree with clifpaul, it is a necessity on long trips. Otherwise I just try to be realistic about what this super-light duty 2wd pickup can and cannot do. It can cruise 75-80 MPH for hours quite happily, getting 24+ MPG, while hauling a good load (for a 5 lug lol). The ride is car-comfy and the interior is very much like a car. Same goes for DD duty, it is very much like commuting in a regular car. Pretty great package if you ask me.

clifpaul likes this.
  5. Jul 5, 2021 at 10:04 PM
    Varak

Varak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug taco DCSB
    Wheels, tires, intermittent wipers, better rearview mirror...
    We just got a little 5-lug and took one major road trip. Texas to Kentucky and back. Lots of hills, summer temperatures, some rain.

This is a base model with the 2.7 liter four-banger. We towed a teardrop trailer, about 800 lbs. We had 4 people in the quad cab. A.R.E CX Classic shell on the back, filled all the way to the top with costumes and tents and camping gear.

Happy to say the road trip was a success. Passengers were able to comfortably nap in the back seat, or join in the conversation. Road noise seems low, stereo worked well. I was loving the intermittent wiper mod that I learned about here.

Never really used cruise control with the trailer, keeping it under ~65-70 mph for safety, regardless of posted speed limits. I added the blue (500 lbs) Sumo Springs, and we were not really sagging or swaying at all. Tracked straight down the road.

We liked having 2 lighter jacks with double usb slots so we could charge everyone's phone at the same time.

Overall it was comfortable enough, effective enough, and remarkably adequate. If that ain't an oxymoron, I don't know what is.

Maybe a reflection of the true quality of the Tacoma is that we remember the conversations we had, the fun of the camping trip. The truck itself mostly fades into the backdrop of as a quietly supporting cast member.

Sean42 likes this.
  6. Jul 31, 2021 at 7:09 AM
    SirCamyCamCam

SirCamyCamCam Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    I've taken mine on a few 1000 mile trips up the east coast. She always keeps chugging along without complaints. I've seen up to 33 mpg fully loaded as well. The one thing I would say is my bench seat is extreamly uncomfortable. I'm 22 and my back and ass start hurting after an hour or so. But with some bucket seats you should be fine.

Urkle86 likes this.
  7. Sep 28, 2021 at 9:30 PM
    Urkle86

Urkle86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 2.7 Base / 2010 4Runner Limited 4x4
    I love my truck, it’s been reliable as much as I’ve taken care of it with normal fluid changes and tune ups. Drove it from Orange County to Tucson AZ in the middle of summer with no problems. The 2.7 base 5 luggers are truly beasts. Ain’t gonna go fast but reliable. Fuck all the naysayers BASE LIFE.

Daves300, clifpaul and realest2.7 like this.
  8. Sep 29, 2021 at 9:51 AM
    TheBigKahuna

TheBigKahuna Well-Known Member

Member:
    While technically not a long mileage trip, I did get stuck in a snowstorm a few years ago.
    Early season storm that caught the road crews unprepared.
    Took 8 hours to go 20 miles home and I was comfortable the entire time.
    Never even got out to stretch my legs.
    I'm 5'10" and 300#+ with an access cab.

Tac0mah0lik likes this.
  9. Oct 4, 2021 at 4:48 PM
    KirbotC

KirbotC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5 lug
    I commute about 20 miles each way in my base 5 lug and have absolutely no complaints. Only thing comfort wise I did was modify the bench seat so it reclines

But for any kind of long (like 2 hour+) high speed highway trips, Ill admit I much prefer taking the car…

Took a 8-9 hour drive to TN a few months ago, and I’m pretty sure I would have hated life after that long a drive if I’d have been in the truck

Having cruise control, and maybe a little more power would probably make it a lot more tolerable for that kinda thing.

Products Discussed in

To Top