1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How bad did I screw up (block heater install)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by diverdriver64, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Oct 24, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    diverdriver64

diverdriver64 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kodiak Alaska
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4.0 V6 6Spd manual
    So I recently bought and installed the Katz cartridge block heater for my truck. I installed it ok, but after looking back, realized I may have screwed the pooch a little. This product did not come with any kind of grease, but I had seen everybody mentioning using dialectic grease. So i bought some dialectic grease and used it in the plug end as is correct, but I also slathered the cartridge itself in dialectic grease rather than What I now know should have been thermal grease. So how bad is this? I haven't used the heater yet and am wondering if I need to pull it, clean it and the hole, and put thermal grease on. Or will it be fine?

2. Oct 24, 2014 at 7:51 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Eh, it'll be alright. The flashpoint is pretty high on dielectric grease as it's mostly silicone. So is thermal grease, but it has some ceramic in it. Plug it in and let it cook for a while, it'll be fine.

3. Oct 24, 2014 at 9:13 PM
    Cjanik

Cjanik Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 Off-Road DCSB in MGM
    OME front & rear shocks, OME 886 springs, Dakar rear leaf pack, ICON UCA, Demello front bumper, BFG M/T 255/85r16
    sounds like its going to attempt to prevent the heat from transferring to the block.

get a rag, clean it off, then use thermal grease. no harm, no foul.

4. Nov 24, 2014 at 7:12 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    It's fine. Enjoy your easy starts on cold mornings!

5. Jan 26, 2017 at 7:55 AM
    babylon5

babylon5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
  6. Jan 26, 2017 at 7:59 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I used whatever grease was supplied with mine. It was an OEM toyota block heater though. Cant remember what it came with.

Products Discussed in

To Top