1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How bad will I get screwed on this...?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Chris24, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    Chris24

Chris24 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    I bought a 2009 DCSB Sport v6 4x4 6sp with 41k miles (43k now) 2 months ago for around 28k and traded in my old car which brought it down to around 22k. Well, i'm having a change of heart with the 6sp and am wanting to jump to a 2012 DCSB sport v6 4x4 with an automatic. How bad am i going to get screwed if I do this trade? I financed my 09 for 72 months @ around 370/month...any suggestions when I call my salesperson who sold me the 09 and talk to him about this?

Also another question...how does property tax work on a vehicle if i only have it a few months? lol...just thought about that

2. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    I can offer this. In NC you will pay 3% tax on the difference between the new one and your trade. That shouldn't be much there. And used Tacoma's are in high demand.

3. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    First thing is do not call the same salesman, because he is going to screw you again. For reference I bought a brand new 2012 DCSB v6 AT last december for ~$29,500 before DMV fees (no tax in OR). Do some research and if you really want to jump into a 2012, figure out exactly what you want, find the invoice price from truecar.com and dont pay a cent over that. Dont let them wrestle it higher with talk of the monthly cost... in fact, get financing before you even walk into a dealership. That way you have something to negotiate with. These are basics of new car buying! Dont rush, be smart, dont get talked into anything.

Remember all the salesman wants is your money. He doesnt care about being fair or getting you what you want. Dont go to them for advice, ever!!

4. Jun 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    car dealerships suck ass! i hate them... there's no law on how much a profit that can make on a sale! i got my truck back in sept 18th 2008... my sticker was like over $30K... almost $31000... i bought it for $26,500... but NJ has 7% sales tax and i have to pay 4 years of registrations... now I bought my wife a new 2010 subaru outback... i had to pay 5 years registrations.. what if I want to sell that car in 3 year... NJ is such a rip off!!

5. Jun 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    these threads are hilarious to read after working as a salesman in a car dealership :p

OP, If the first sale went well, I'd suggest you explain your situation to whoever you had the best relationship with, but probably your sales person, and his manager. you are immediately going to lose any taxes you paid, but other than that they might not be too hard on you.

Toyota dealerships have bonus levels to hit, selling a used car is where they make money for the dealership, selling a new car is where they hit Toyota bonus levels, so if you are going brand new, they might be pretty good to you!

good luck!

6. Jun 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    AFZ

AFZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    4x4 AC 4.0 TRD OR
    You are going to get screwed.

My friend bought a 09 DCSB with 36k on it back in March, paid 19,500 out the door.

You are also asking the wrong question. None of us care when you bought it or what your payments are.

What you really want is -

How much will I get on trade for my 09 DDSB 4X4?

How cheap can I get a 2012 DDSB 4X4?

You are better off selling the 09 straight out, then going and buying something without a trade. 72 months is 6 years, that is to long as well, if you cant afford 48-60 I really would not be looking at $30k trucks then.

7. Jun 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    CrewCab

CrewCab Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC Prerunner SR5 Nautical Blue
    16x8 Moto Metal 951, 265/70/16 BFG Rugged Terrain T/A's,Chrome door handles, Toyota door sill protectors, 13" antenna
    You would probably do better getting into a leased 2012 which I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they try to put you in anyway to make the payments what you need. Only thing you can do is go talk to them and see.

8. Jun 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    stowayman

stowayman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Monterey, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4X4 TRD O/R - Debadged
    Kenwood DNX9980HD Nav - BT - Sirius - backup camera, Weathertech digifits, maglite mod, 14" billet antenna
    I love my auto... seems pretty damn bulltproof as well

9. Jun 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    jimmyk4d5

jimmyk4d5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Alto ,MI
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT DOUBLE CAB (SPRUCE MICA)
    i agree with trying to sell the truck before trading it in. that seems like a no brainer to me. second having a 7 year loan isn't that bad with a tacoma if you have a good interest rate(2.9% or less) tacomas hold their value. if you can't sell it yourself then maybe you should keep it and wait. if you rush into this just to get something else you will lose your ass. good luck! be smart and take your time and do your research

10. Jun 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If you're afraid of getting screwed on this, you'll get double screwed on a lease.

A lease is worse than a rental. You don't own it, but you're responsible for it AND for it's maintenance. Rent an apartment, something breaks, the landlord fixes it. Lease a car, something breaks, you have to fix it... and your contract may require that it be fixed by the dealership. Leases and extended warranties are not protected by Magnusson-Moss.

You mod it? You pay to have the mods reversed when you turn it in.
    You dent it? You pay to have it fixed when you turn it in.
    You go over on the mileage? You pay for EVERY MILE over 24/36,000 that you put on that vehicle during a 2/3-year lease. Not sure what they're running now... it was around $0.20/mile last time I looked into a lease, so 10k will cost you $2,000 to get out of the lease.

24 or 36 months from now your job situation has changed and you can't afford to buy another car? Tough shit... you're screwed. Your lease is over and you have three options: Buy the car out of the lease, roll into a new lease on a new car, or terminate the lease and purchase a new or used car.

Roll the lease into another lease only delays the inevitable and puts you even farther in the hole in 3 years.
    Purchase the vehicle outright will cost you MORE than purchasing a comparable used vehicle off the lot.
    Terminate the lease and "walk away" to buy a used car somewhere else? You're on the hook for potentially thousands of $$$.
    Check BGR's posts in "Live".... he was looking at $17,000 out of pocket to walk away from his lease because of his mods, mileage, and damage.

Seriously. Leases are good for people who have an ego that always has to be in a new vehicle, who runs low mileage, and who doesn't enjoy doing mods and off-roading.
    The primary lease customer is a business.

Also keep in mind that on a lease, the leasing company is going to require that you carry the maximum available liability limits on your insurance, so while you might save $150/mo on the payment, it's going to cost you $75/mo more on insurance.

11. Jun 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Good lord! I had to look and see if you were from Canada throwning around numbers like that. That dealer did not do you any favors. A manual to boot!

I don't know of any "out" there. You buy, you pay, unless you haven't registered it for plates yet. I'd definitely ask the dealer about that though.

Concerning your general question, like others have said - try to sell it and then get into a new one. My local Toyota dealer is offering 72 months at 0% on '12 tacos right now. Probably have to have great credit, but financing deals are out there.

12. Jun 11, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    Chris24

Chris24 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    Dealership basically told me too bad. Offered 22k for my trade, lol. Guess ill keep her awhile.

13. Jun 12, 2012 at 11:48 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah, I ran the numbers for your truck at the Edmunds site. They do "true market value" calculations...says $19k trade in value, $22k dealer retail value on your truck.

Maybe if you make sure it' sparkling clean you could get a decent private party sale price on it. Your best bet is probably going to be trying to pay down your loan for a while and then trade when you have more equity in the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top