1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How deep can I go

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by RustyYota, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Dec 29, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    RustyYota

RustyYota [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Rust Belt, NY
    Vehicle:
    TRD Auto
    Toolbox in the summer tenau in the winter, 3in toytec lift, 33'' BFG muds, Tint
    When the snow finally dies i will be once again be mudding/offroading a lot. I have to often cross a fairly large creek to get to a friends camp and driving thru water is just plain fun, but how deep is too deep. I have had water up above the rockers without a problem. I am however concerned that the air intake (before the air box) sort of goes into the inner fender wall. I may be paranoid but if i drive into deep water, say close to the top of the wheel well, is it possible for the engine to suck the water up the fender then into the intake?. What could i do to prevent water ingestion short of a snorkel. Im planning on lifting it this spring already, but i am just wondering. The truck is a 2002 sr5 by the way.
    Thanks

2. Dec 29, 2009 at 3:30 PM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    as deep as she can take it, i usually go until she says "it feels like ur hitting who knows what in there"

3. Dec 29, 2009 at 3:33 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    The title is kind of a personal question and depends on her

All joking aside not only do you have to worry about ingesting water into the engine but you could also get some in the axles because of the location of the breather. I certainly wouldn't want to go above the rockers because the door seals most likely aren't going to hold the water back.

4. Dec 29, 2009 at 3:35 PM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    yup knew someone was gonna have to make that joke.

as far as the original question goes, the intake that goes into the fender goes up the the vents in front of the windsheild. or at least it does on a first gen

5. Dec 29, 2009 at 3:35 PM
    Wreckless_71

Wreckless_71 WRECKLESS for Life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pullman, WA.
    Vehicle:
    98 ext cab Tacoma
    3" Lift via OME 881's, Bilstein 5100's, Dakar OME 3" leaf packs, MBRP custom exhaust, HID headlights, CB, Canopy, aluminum wheels, upgraded sound system, full set of studded snow tires and wheels, auxilary lighting, more to come.
    BWAhahahaha... that's when I usually ease up a notch ^^^
    But seriously I wouldn't go much higher than the top of your tires. At that point you better have good door seals and whatnot. I believe the air intake sucks out of the cowl area rather than down low near the wheel well. Either way don't get your feet wet :)

EDIT: Exactly what they said, beat me to it haha

6. Dec 29, 2009 at 3:38 PM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    Coming from someone who's replaced an engine block. If you think you might have to worry about hydrolocking don't even attempt it. There's plenty of stuff below your intake that can you break regardless. Axle seals, fan blades, radiator, alternator, starter, door seals failing, etc. It's not a boat, don't treat it like one.

7. Dec 29, 2009 at 3:50 PM
    RustyYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Rust Belt, NY
    Vehicle:
    TRD Auto
    My cv boots are fine is deep water a rear axle dilema or can water have a rubber ripping quality? Also on the manual shift tacoma is there a separate oil drain for the transfer case? I think the automatic used the same oil as the tranny. Im not sure on any of this though. Thanks for the info though

Also: i guess women are like driving trucks thru water, you never know how deep you can go. I didnt even intend the sexual nature of the title haha.

8. Dec 29, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    RustyYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Rust Belt, NY
    Vehicle:
    TRD Auto
    Thats what i was thinking or the point when hole in the top of the leather shifter boot is squirting water like a fountain

9. Jan 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    Cryer

Cryer O shizzle!

Member:
    Bryan, Tx
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Sport
    3" lift
    i found this out the hard way. i have an 09, without the inner fender spalsh guards. the CAI sucks air directly from the passenger fender. I've gone through this same water hole many times before.
    But this time was different. the water came up over the hood from the wake, and my truck suddenly lost 90% of my power. and the check engine light came on. took a lil longer to go through as well.
    When i got out i inspected everything i could think of but didnt see anything wrong. i tried driving back up the hill i came down to get to the water hole... truck barely went up it.
    I then put in neutral and it wouldnt rev above 3500. gas pedal on the floor. so i limped it home, let it run for a lil bit the killed it. it started right up like the problem never happened.
    I inspected the filter and it was wet. along with the inside of the CAI box.

so moral is i need a snorkel and i went through to deep. lol

10. Jan 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    get out and check it before you go through.. shove a stick in the water.. the air box will still get water in it.. and like stated earlier your door seals might not hold and then youll be replacing carpet and your rear diff. will suck in water if it is warm. im puttin a snorkel on mine so i wont have to worry about it..

11. Jan 3, 2010 at 3:39 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Unless you do the diff breather mod.

12. Jan 3, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    yeah today i went through some deep water. Enough to make my diff breather hiss. So tomorrow i am draining it and changing out the fluid. Oops!

13. Jan 3, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    till she says when

14. Jan 3, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    09tacoLI

09tacoLI Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island ny
    Vehicle:
    09 off road
    Shrockworks sliders,Shrockworks Front bumper,Warn 9.5xp winch,Toytec Ult.3in,Total Chaos UCAs,AP expo Rear, Fox remote resi shocks Bud built skids,Piaa 7in,Piaa yellow plasma Off road lights.
    Also your talkin about a creek and not standing water. You need to be real careful around moving water the higher that creek is the faster the water may be moving you can lose traction and get pushed around or pushed deeper than you wanna be.

Products Discussed in

To Top