1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do I access the upper switch blanks left of steering wheel???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wtbthree, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Jan 6, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    wtbthree

wtbthree [OP] Give 'er

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    SC'ed 2010 DC
    3" Revtek lift, 17" FJ rims, 285 BFG KO's, sunroof, TRD piping, Wickedflow muffler, Avid step rails TRD supercharger,
    Hey all,

Just started wiring up some lights, and I'd like to mount the switch right next to the fog light switch, but I can't figure out how to easily access those blanks.
    Also, using an add-a-circut, is it ok for me to use the 7.5A ACC fuse slot to power my switch? Thx

Thanks

2. Jan 6, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD PreRunner Sport
    OEM Truck Bed Extender, Window Tint, Tailgate Security Mod, OEM Spare Tire Lock, Cam Locks (storage compartments), OEM Bed Mat, OEM Skid Plate, Stant 11504 Locking Gas Cap, TW Edrin55 OEM Running Boards, Pop & Lock w/Back-Up Cam, Black WeatherTechs, Red Line Quick Lift Plus Hood Struts, Wet Okole Front Seat Covers-black/charcoal with red & white TRD graphic & back seat pockets, DIY Satoshi Grillcraft & Old School Toyota Badge, TW ZonKs Black UWS Low Pro Truck Box, Rear Suspension TSB, 3M Scotch Guard Paint & Headlight Protection Film 8mm Urethane, Flyzeye V2 Wired Amber/White/Amber Interior LED Lights w/Silver Case, Sleek Looking Black LED Tail Lights from K2 Motors (Identical to OEM, but black).
    I'll be adding some lights too, so ima gonna sub.

3. Jan 6, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    You have to remove the panel. See the instructions on my website. they are for removing the gauges, but will get you there.

4. Jan 6, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    In the upper bank, I had all blanks. Each one popped out individually. I used a small, flexible blade to slide between blank and dash, being very careful not to gouge the wall of the opening or the finish around it. You may have to use two...but once it has started to come out, you can get ahold of it with your fingers and pull it out.

So easy, even an old fart did it! Good luck!

5. Jan 6, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    wtbthree

wtbthree [OP] Give 'er

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    SC'ed 2010 DC
    3" Revtek lift, 17" FJ rims, 285 BFG KO's, sunroof, TRD piping, Wickedflow muffler, Avid step rails TRD supercharger,
    Ah, I ws hoping I wouldn't have to do that, but thanks

6. Jan 6, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    As previously posted, you have to remove the lower dashboard section to get to the upper blanks. I put fog lights on mine last week and put the switch where the factory does. If I remember correctly, there are only two bolts holding the lower dash on. One is hidden behind a little plastic piece under the emergency brake lever and the other is behind the little vertical piece that sits next to your left leg when driving. After that it was just a matter of pulling gently. It took some good pulling but you have to watch to make sure you don't pull too hard in the wrong place and brake something. Once you have the lower section removed you can at least reach up from behind the bank of blanks and feed wires through.

7. Jan 6, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    I just pried mine out as above to install my foglight switch...

Truck 012.jpg

8. Jan 6, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    06indigoink

06indigoink Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    i popped out my change holder and pushed them out with my finger. then i dremeled a hole just enough for the switches i was going to use in them and put them back in.

Products Discussed in

To Top