1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do I add amp to JBL

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KaoskrewPB, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Jun 24, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    KaoskrewPB

KaoskrewPB [OP] -Empty-

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Went from: Icon coilovers, Light Racing UCA's, SpiderTrax Wheel spacers, T Rex Eye lids color matched, Rear AAL, Iron Dirt light bar, Hella 500's, Blacked out door badges and front grill badge, Blacked out Hella light covers, Trailer Brake controller, JVC Arsenal KD-AHD69 HU, Sony Xplod Amp To completely stock :(
    Ok I know there are guys that have done this.
    Every time I post in the audio section no one ever responds.

I want to know how to tap into the existing amp to get power to a second amp to power a new sub.

2. Jun 24, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    KaoskrewPB

KaoskrewPB [OP] -Empty-

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Went from: Icon coilovers, Light Racing UCA's, SpiderTrax Wheel spacers, T Rex Eye lids color matched, Rear AAL, Iron Dirt light bar, Hella 500's, Blacked out door badges and front grill badge, Blacked out Hella light covers, Trailer Brake controller, JVC Arsenal KD-AHD69 HU, Sony Xplod Amp To completely stock :(
    Yes, the stock JBL package.
    So after I get power from the battery, what do i Use to hook up to the sub to get bass?
    Just steal the bass wires from the stock system?
    Won't that affect the stock amp?

3. Jun 24, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    KaoskrewPB

KaoskrewPB [OP] -Empty-

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    I'm capable of doing it, I have just heard what different people have done to get an aftermarket sub and amp back there.
    PS I'm putting in a JVC headunit tommorow. I went ahead and bought the harness that allows me to keep the JBL amp and sub etc...
    Because I don't want to go through the hastle of scrapping everything and re-running wire to all the speakers and adding a seperate amp for the speakers.
    I was hoping I could just add an amp and sub while not having to change out the stock amp..
    Do you think the new HU will give me any gains in bass? I'm assuming it will allow me to control the levels a lot more than stock.

4. Jun 24, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    JoeyTacoma

JoeyTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off-Road DC Silver 4x4
    Satoshi Grill, BHLM, K&N Coolair Intake, Bilstein 5100 Ajustables, Rear leafspring TSB, Toytec AAL, 16" M/T sidebiters, 265/75r16 Firestone Destination A/T
    I have done this with the JBL w/ sub in the Double cab. I had to remove the original sub but keep the original amp. then I ran a power wire to the battery for a second amp. So original amp powers factory speakers minus jbl sub (took that out and put second amp in that spot.) New sub (in my case JL audio 10inch) went in behind backseat on the driver's side. Then you can tap into the wire harness that plugs into to factory amp. One of the wires is the ACC and i think it is the grey wire, this is the one that tells the amp to turn on and off. I can't remember the other wires but you can find a wiring diagram online

5. Jun 24, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    KaoskrewPB

KaoskrewPB [OP] -Empty-

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Its a JVC arsenal KD-AHD69

That's the only 2 wires I'll need to run for an amp?
    Just remote and power?
    Sound easier than tapping into the existing amp, maybe I'll just do this.
    What gauge wire do you reccomend for the remote? Or does it really matter

6. Jun 24, 2010 at 9:30 PM
    KaoskrewPB

KaoskrewPB [OP] -Empty-

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    This is what I originally wanted to do...
    But if no one recommends it then I won't do it...
    I want to do what ever is best.
    I assume even doing it this way I will still have to run power straight from the battery for the amp?

7. Jun 24, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    JoeyTacoma

JoeyTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off-Road DC Silver 4x4
    Satoshi Grill, BHLM, K&N Coolair Intake, Bilstein 5100 Ajustables, Rear leafspring TSB, Toytec AAL, 16" M/T sidebiters, 265/75r16 Firestone Destination A/T
    I would not do it this way. I only did it cause I had the amp and the sub laying around and just wanted to make it sound a little better. Eventually I will redo the entire system with a new head unit and new speakers and wires and all. Good luck :)

8. Jun 24, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    KaoskrewPB

KaoskrewPB [OP] -Empty-

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
  9. Jun 25, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Dbl Cab LB 4x4 TRD
    Toytec CO's, IRONMAN rear leaf pack, All pro front bumper, Body Armor rear bumper, BA steps MB TKO's w/285/75/16 Terra Grapplers, Bakflip tonneau cover, autopage remote start alarm, Ultragauge
    You could use the stock amp to power the front stock high freq. speakers and use the front speaker outputs of the stock radio to hook up the bass amp. I don't think the stock radio has any RCA outputs so you will have to buy a speaker line to RCA convertor to hookup to your new amp. Recommend buying a good 4 channel amp. You can hookup the front speaker outputs from the new amp to your stock mid/bass speakers and then 'bridge' the rear channels to run the new bass. Find a 4 channel bridgeable amp with a built-in X-over so you can adjust the freq. to the front/rear speakers. The remote wire can be 16 gauge but power needs to be a minimum 10 ga or 8 ga straight to battery terminal..Give a good ground closest to amp to bare metal. Run the RCA cables opposite side of truck than the Power cable to prevent possible noise.

10. Jun 25, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen, good driver mod.
    the new amp will have 3 wires. power, ground, and remote. power and ground should be 4-8g and the remote can be as small as like 14-18g..
    run power and remote and RCA cables along the driver side under the trim pieces.

the remote wire is normally blue or grey. on my pioneer it was blue and comes out of the wireing harness off of the head unit. that will tell the amp to turn on when the radio is on. this should NOT be ran to the battery otherwise it will always have power and drain your battery

nothing in this post is relevent to what the OP is wanting or asked. only the bold will apply

11. Jun 25, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    KaoskrewPB

KaoskrewPB [OP] -Empty-

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Thanks man.
    It's ok though because I now know of a better way to run it.
    Also, shouldn't I run the power down the opposite side that I run the RCA's so I don't get interference?
    And your sig is awesome, so true.

12. Jun 25, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen, good driver mod.
    I have my rca's and power on the same side and dont have any interference. as long as your amp is grounded properly you shouldnt get any.

and thank you;)

13. Jun 25, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    KaoskrewPB

KaoskrewPB [OP] -Empty-

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Alright cool man thanks!
    And repped you guys that helped me out.
    I'll be doing it this weekend I'll let you guys know if I have any troubles

To Top