1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do I flush my Power Steering at home?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by B-Field, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Apr 23, 2008 at 4:16 PM
    B-Field

B-Field [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner Limited
    I have searched the site for a few days and have not been successful at finding a thread on how to flush my power steering. I have a 2001 Tacoma PreRunner and have 159,606 miles on it! I haven't done anything except change the Engine Oil, Transmission Fluid, and rear differential fluid. Not to mention a couple of brake changes.
    I'm aiming to take a few days off of work to change all the belts water pump, any associated bearings that i should change too, and do the Steering fluid. I have not been able to find how to do the steering fluid. Could anyone direct me please?
    B-Field

1Shifter likes this.
  2. Apr 23, 2008 at 4:27 PM
    ellsworth

ellsworth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    6 inch Fabtech, st stabilizers, 18x9 DC -1s 305/65/18 bfg at's
    get 4 qts of fluid and a sucker gun or a mighty vac fluid sucker...get a funnel that fits your resvoir opening...start thentruck and warm up...lower level in revoir to almost empty but not starving the pump or it will foam....add new fluid to almost top and repeat for 2 qts...turn wheel lock to lock 3 or 4 times and repeat with remaining 2 qts...exchanges about 90% of fluid this way...if you do 5 or 6 qts you can achieve almost 100% exchange..PS fluid is always overlooked and like engine oil its working whenever the motor is running...It has hydraulic properties that become compromised over time and thermal cycling...KUDOS to you for recognizing this often over looked system!!!!!

I have a mighty vac 10 quart sucker I bought on line for 80 bucks, its priceless to me now and it doubles for pulling brake fluid through your bleeders..DOT 3 fluid should be changed every 3 yrs regardless of millege..It is also a rather overlooked fluid...You can even upgrade to dot 4 or dot 4 plus, higher boiling point and less fade but needs to be changed every 2 yrs..

I do PS / Brake / and frt & rear diffs every year...its overkill yes but rather inexpensive insurance...dont forget the t-case and manual trans oil either if it applies....

3. Apr 23, 2008 at 4:31 PM
    B-Field

B-Field [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner Limited
    thank you. That was exactly what i was looking for! I'm going to go do it now. I suppose all of this will be a project that i will take on over the corse of a few day. No rush to get it all done. Just want to freshen up the truck.

4. Oct 17, 2015 at 1:59 PM
    beavis87

beavis87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    '10 Silver TRD OR
    Can you simply do it with 2 quarts or until it looks clean? Reading around it sounds like 1-2 quarts was all it took to be flushed, but you're saying 5-6 quarts so I'm wondering now if I should buy 4 more quarts or flush by sight?

5. Oct 17, 2015 at 2:02 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    And idk if the newer tacos do but ny old one took atf

6. Oct 17, 2015 at 2:12 PM
    Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo a Hooka smoking caterpillar has given me the call

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Near Clayton NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    you're gonna be money ahead to pull the pump assembly off as a unit and remove the reservoir and clean the screen inside.

you'll be VERY surprised how much crap that has collected in that screen ( I know I was ) get a couple cans of good brake clean, pull the can off the pump. plug one end and spray one whole can inside the can and contain it, swish around, let it soak for a bit, wash out and do it again. reassemble all, pour fresh fluid in, start and run.
    using a cheap basting bulb suck out fluid, replace it, do this multiple times ( using Dexron3 or better ) oil you're satisfied you've replaced all the fluid, shouldn't need more than 2-3 quarts tops

7. Oct 17, 2015 at 2:19 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    really no need to flush, just use a turkey baster or a suction device, I use a big eye dropper I got at Wally world and suck out all the old stuff in the resivour and replace same amount with Auto tranny fluid. I do this once a year and is good to go no mess either.

8. Oct 17, 2015 at 10:45 PM
    beavis87

beavis87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    '10 Silver TRD OR
    It just seems that for someone who never knew when or if the power steering fluid has ever been flushed, that the suction and fill method won't as thoroughly remove as much fluid as needed. I've seen what happens to new fluid when it is mixed with old fluid. Yeah, its better than not sucking out what you can but the old fluid will still be there and contaminate the rest. I also want to take out the reservoir and clean the screen but I'm also gonna see if I can install and inline power steering fluid filter on the return line as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top