1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how do i know if i need the TSB?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 09tacoma, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Oct 9, 2008 at 9:24 PM
    09tacoma

09tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 off road
    access tonneau cover, smitty built side steps
    I am having trouble understanding the TSB thing. How do i know i need it? I am getting an 09 of road 4x4 crew cab. I know i can look and see if i have 4 springs but i guess sometimes three are ok. Anyway a simple laymans term answer would be great. I will probably not be able to get them to fix it if i do need it but i think i will threaten to not take delivery. there are 4 other dealers in the area. anyway thanks for the info in advance.

2. Oct 9, 2008 at 9:27 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I just picked up my '09 on Monday. Tonight, I went out with a flashlight and looked behind the left wheel. On top of the springs, there was a part number in big white letters. I checked that part number against the service bulletin and it indicates that it's a defective part. I didn't bother checking any of the other parts.

I'm going to take mine (with a copy of the TSB) to the dealership this weekend to get it replaced.

3. Oct 9, 2008 at 9:31 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Will do.

4. Oct 9, 2008 at 9:31 PM
    09tacoma

Member:
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 off road
    let me know how it goes i will try to make them fix it before i pay for it. so the part number on the truck was the previous part number from the tsb 48210-04550?
    thanks

5. Oct 9, 2008 at 9:33 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I just checked the left side, but the part number I had was 48220-04190 G LH

6. Oct 9, 2008 at 9:50 PM
    09tacoma

Member:
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 off road
    this is from the lemon law tsb post i thought i remembered something about letters.

7. Oct 10, 2008 at 3:52 AM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    thats good info thanks

8. Oct 10, 2008 at 6:22 AM
    smokey28723

smokey28723 Member

Member:
    Cullowhee
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    ARE Camper
    I just looked at the new TSB. It list the previous part number for the LH spring as 48220-04190 and then the replacement part number. I went and checked mine, and it is 48220-04190-G. The TSB does not specify F or G at the end of the part number. I think I will have mine checked just for peace of mind.

9. Oct 10, 2008 at 8:39 PM
    09tacoma

Member:
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 off road
    yea sounds like a good idea let me know what you find out

10. Oct 10, 2008 at 8:49 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did extensive research on TW before getting mine. In a nutshell some say the 'g' springs are OK. Others say if it is not the '4' pack get it done. I think your right that the TSB doesn't specify a letter.

I had the 'f' springs and got mine done. I recommend to get it done no matter what the letter is. I have not found one person on here that has regretted getting the rear spring TSB. They may be here but I haven't seen it.

You can also search TW and find many techniques to help guide you on the best ways to get the TSB done. The 09 isn't on the TSB yet so you will need to get brushed up on what others have done.

11. Oct 11, 2008 at 7:58 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I just went by the dealer:

ME: "I bottomed out on a bump with a few bags of sand in the back. Then, after a little research..."
    HIM: "(interrupting me...) You found a TSB on it?"
    ME: "Yep."
    HIM: "Yeah, I just did the first one last week. I'll order the parts for you. When do you want to bring it in? Let me get some numbers off your truck."

Never even checked any of the parts for part number eligibility or anything.

Also, he mentioned that the TSB included something about the front shocks/coils/something on the front... Does it? I thought it was just the springs in the back...

12. Oct 11, 2008 at 8:30 AM
    Ahaszard

Ahaszard Active Member

Member:
    St Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 Black TRD Off Road Rugged Trail
    The TRD only gets the rear springs changed.

13. Oct 11, 2008 at 9:22 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    Set up for the 20th for the TSB, service guy was emphatic about how stiff my suspension would be after it is done. I hope I am not disappointed that I had it done. :pray:

14. Oct 11, 2008 at 1:25 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    Yeah, the service manger tried to tell me the springs would be thinner and the truck would set lower and the ride would be mushier. Boy was he wrong on all counts. It still just rides like a truck, but now will haul like a truck! They just don't want to have anyone come back. Because if you go back afterwards then guess what...sorry bout yer luck! You pay for it the second time.
    But don't worry, I still haven't heard of anyone regretting it.
    And I'm very glad I did mine!!:D

15. Oct 11, 2008 at 4:00 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    You are right phantom. And thanks..can't say that anymore:D
    Just haven't seen any on TW I guess. Probably there somewhere though.

Squeek is usually due to improper install. My new ones had super thick grease in several places between leaves. Maybe it wasn't on theirs. New ones have had same problem a few times.

Some on TN thread were made happy when Toyota paid for Timbrens to correct problem. This tends to make me suspicious of a possible known material defect, or another problem covered up. This does not seem to be common practice, and definately isn't on the TSB.

#24 wasn't happy ,but the tongue weight might have been pushing it with a 16' tandem trailer and possible other cargo. He didn't say if truck or trailer was full or empty, and of course we all drive at different speeds over bumps. There is a limit to the TSB springs too.
    Bottom line the TSB is personal preference. Most call the original 3 pack a gentlemans ride, while others that have the 'G' springs have loaded them down and been fine.

Maybe should poll for TSB Rear Spring satisfaction?!?!?! That could be interesting.

16. Oct 11, 2008 at 5:37 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    well said....:cool:

17. Oct 11, 2008 at 7:16 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)