1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do I remove embedded dust?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by friendlyphil, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Apr 23, 2016 at 4:37 PM
    friendlyphil

friendlyphil [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Prerunner Dbl Cab. Barcelona Red. TRD
    On a long trip, I spent about 10 miles behind some dump trucks that had a dust trailing from them. After I got home and washed my 2015 Taco, it seemed like there was embedded dust in the paint. The hood and roof had a kind of rough feel to them. I think I was sort of sandblasted. How can I safely remove that embedded dust and regain that smooth finish?

2. Apr 23, 2016 at 4:45 PM
    At The Helm

At The Helm ATH Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    Gardnerville, NV
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 4x4 TRD OR & 2019 T4R
    Kings, TC UCAS, SCS SR8's, ATH bumpers
    Use clay bar. It works amazing and restores the paint to a nice smooth feel. Just wash it first.

Meguiars and Mothers both sell kits that have the spray and clay bars available everywhere.

theredofshaw and ODNAREM like this.
  3. Apr 23, 2016 at 4:46 PM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre Runner supercharged 4cyl
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    Yep clay bar the paint !!!

At The Helm and ODNAREM like this.
  4. Apr 23, 2016 at 4:47 PM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    X2!What Morgan said above!^:thumbsup:

pucksniper likes this.
  5. Apr 23, 2016 at 7:55 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Claying procedure copied from: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/paint-protection-advice-wax-and-sealer.401094/

Claying, when necessary, removes bonded contaminants and/or ensures that wax or sealer bonds to your paint as well as it can. It'll leave your paint feeling like glass.

Pick up a mothers or clay kit. $20 at the big box stores or auto parts stores. The kit comes with two pieces of clay and a bottle of detail spray. You basically knead the clay, form it into a 4" x 4" flat "pad", and then soak the paint surface with the detail spray. Then rub the clay over the surface of the paint. Use plenty of "lube" (detail spray). You really don't want to apply pressure. Just the weight of the clay and the pressure of your hand to hold it on the surface is plenty. The soaked surface allows the clay to simply slide over the surface of the paint and it picks up contaminants that are bound to the surface that don't come off with normal washing (invisible/visible sap, oil, road grime, etc). Even if your paint looks clean, it's not. You'll be amazed at all the gunk that comes off with clay. Check the clay often. When you see that it's dirty, you fold the clay a couple times and flatten it again. This exposes a clean surface. Work a small area (1/4 or 1/2 of a panel) at a time and then move to the next area. Use plenty of lube. You might use half a bottle of detail spray for a vehicle. You want to wash the vehicle before claying. And if you drop the clay, THROW IT AWAY. and use the second piece. You don't want grit in your clay for obvious reasons. Wipe off the lube after finishing a panel. Repeat as necessary. When it feels smooth like a piece of new glass, you're done. Now.... Wash the truck again before applying your wax/sealant.

The process removes bonded contaminants allowing last step products to adhere much better (wax/sealer). I was blown away the first time I tried it. An almost new truck that looked clean- had a ton of gunk come off on the clay.

ODNAREM likes this.
  6. Apr 23, 2016 at 7:58 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nobody has mentioned it, but after you clay - wax your paint.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  7. Apr 24, 2016 at 11:53 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    If you have tiny scratches, do clay, polish, then wax.

8. Apr 29, 2016 at 10:39 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Why is this?
    Seems obvious when going through all the work to clay but interested in the reasoning. I'm new to detailing.

9. Apr 29, 2016 at 10:42 AM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Claying will likely remove some of whatever protectant is on the surface.

Some people will say Claying removes all the protectant, and wile I suppose it's possible, there are several variables involved (how much wax is there to begin with, how aggressive is the clay, how long do you clay, etc.). Long story short, just reapply after you clay.

10. Apr 29, 2016 at 12:24 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Exactly what he said.

11. Apr 29, 2016 at 12:30 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Also, having done it myself once, there's no easy way about it, claying is super time consuming and very tiring lol. I would say I spent a solid 2 hours or so claying my whole truck, and I probably didn't do it well enough on the second half lol. It's literally just rub rub rub rub nonstop(TWSS), BUT when you get done with a whole panel, run your fingers along it, and then run your fingers along another panel, the difference is amazing. It should feel silky smooth with nothing whatsoever catching on your fingers. If you feel any irregularities or bumps or anything, you didn't clay long enough, DO IT OVER.

T4RFTMFW likes this.
  12. Apr 29, 2016 at 1:08 PM
    stbear

stbear Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport MGM
    I find claying goes quickly. Lots of detailer and just glide the clay bar across the surface. No heavy rubbing. Results are a nice smooth surface. Really makes a difference above just plain wash and wax.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  13. Apr 29, 2016 at 1:37 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Either you had super contaminated paint or a terrible clay bar. Lol.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  14. Apr 29, 2016 at 1:47 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    meguires clay bar but yeah first clay bar in like 2 years, multiple desert trips

15. Apr 29, 2016 at 2:32 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Yep, lots of variability in time involved. I do mine twice a year and it's super fast. Honestly doesn't take too much longer than drying after a wash. But if it's super contaminated, then yeah it'll take a little longer. Note: you're NOT scrubbing your paint with the clay. You're simply gliding it back and forth over the surface-- this is why it takes longer If the paint is very contaminated. I try to avoid circular patterns for obvious reasons.

16. Apr 29, 2016 at 4:54 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Oh...so a combination of both. You probably need a more aggressive clay. The Megs is ok but it takes entirely too long.

17. Apr 29, 2016 at 5:10 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, that was like 3 years ago. Meguires is fine for people that don't offroad alot or that actually wash their car semi frequently. It worked just fine for what I wanted it to, it just took a little extra elbow grease to get it done. I wasn't about to go searching for some crazy clay bar for a self wash and wax at my apartment lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top