1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do I remove interior scuffs?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by cortez_a, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Dec 30, 2009 at 7:12 PM
    cortez_a

cortez_a [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Colorado
    Last week I was installing Sirius in my Taco. When I removed the CD player, it ended up scuffing the vinyl panel just under the A/C controls. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can use to remove the scuffs?

2. Dec 30, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Vinyl like the plastic stuff or the fake leather looking stuff??
    If it's the plastic-you can try to heat it with a butane heat gun or indirect heat from a flame...Once it's soft rub gently with a finger to try to soften the appearance of the scratch.
    The leather looking stuff....No idea.

3. Dec 31, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    cortez_a

cortez_a [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Colorado
    It's hard plastic, but it has been molded to appear like leather. Here's a couple of pics.

The first pic is a little blurry, but you can still see all of the scuffs. Like I said, its just below the A/C controls.
    [​IMG]

The Second pic is more detailed and shows the the molded plastic as well as one of the larger scuffs.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to anyone with ideas or suggestions :)

4. Dec 31, 2009 at 4:01 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah..Try that indirect heat thing I said.

5. Dec 31, 2009 at 4:13 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Could a hair dryer be used for this?

6. Jan 8, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Have you tried and products like 303 Areospace protectant?

The marks look minor and the scuffs do not look deep.

7. Jan 8, 2010 at 5:09 AM
    iTacozz

iTacozz Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Ormond Beach, FL
    On my Dodge I used a hair dryer to heat the area up then I used 1000-1500 grit sand paper and only rubbed it in one direction very soft.... It will soften the look and get rid of the snag pieces.. Then rub on usual vinyl protectant... It looked a heck of a lot better other than buying a whole new piece.

8. Jan 11, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    There is no true way to get rid of the scuffs, you can only hide them such as heating the scuff area up with a heat gun and trying to blend the scuff. Another trick if the scuffs aren't deep gousges is to put a light coat of Vaseline over them....hides/fades them pretty good

9. Jan 11, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    This sounds like a really bad idea to me. I would say heat it up with a heat gun and hope it goes away; putting your finger on it could make it worst.

10. Jan 11, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Yeah, be careful and remember anyone can give you advice.

Not that this helps now, but next time you might want to creat a protective barrier around teh work area, maybe by duct taping some type of material (plastic sheeting, etc) that can be easily removed after the next project. At least, glue from the tape would come off.

Good luck!

11. Jan 11, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    robdawg14m

robdawg14m Rob

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Denton, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4X4 SR5
    Apline IDA-X100 Head Unit Massive P 950.5 Amplifier 100x4 + 550x1 Diamond Audio 10" D1 Sub Focal K2 Component 165KR Debadged 33x12.5 Toyo MT 18" ATX Artillery Toytec ultimate lift kit LR UCA's Wet Okole seat covers
    I had the same problem with the scuff marks when I had my aftermarket radio installed. I went the so called "dumb" route and used a lighter to heat up the plastic for a second or two. Once the plastic softened up a little I just rubbed my finger over it and the marks disappeared.

12. Jan 15, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    TA06CO

TA06CO TA06CO

Member:
    Arvada, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD O/R, 3in. Pro Comp Lift
    Brush Guard, 3 Stage Tonneau Cover, Side Steps, Silverstar Ultras, 3in. Pro Comp Lift w/ AAL, ES3000 & ES9000 Pro Comp Shocks, 285/75/R16s Yoko GEOs, Differential Drop, Carrier Bearing Drop...
    I usually hit up the newer car junkyards and find pieces that tend to break or scuff and then I have an extra part. Most junkyards will not charge very much for interior parts.

Products Discussed in

To Top