1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do I Wire Components w/Factory Stereo

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ChibbMD, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Mar 7, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    ChibbMD

ChibbMD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Double Cab
    Hey guys. I'm generally pretty handy with car audio stuff but I have some questions about how to wire front components with the factory stereo in my 08 DC. I tried to use the factory wiring because I had the little adapters that allow you to plug into the factory harness and then connect to aftermarket speakers. This worked as planned on the rears but up front I figured I would use the adapters (plugged into the woofer harness) and cut off the connectors so I could connect the wires to the component crossovers. I got everything hooked up fine but got no sound from the speakers.

Apparently, if both the woofer and tweeter are not plugged in you won't get any sound. Of course I didn't have the tweeter wires plugged in because I was only using the woofer plug to connect to the crossover. Obviously, you can't use the woofer and tweeter plugs when using a crossover which only needs one positive and one negative input.

So, my real question is what wires should I use to connect to the crossover. I assume I might have to tap into the stock speaker wire (somewhere before it splits into woofer and tweeter) and run new wire to the crossover. Anyone have any helpful hints on this?

2. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    pretty sure on those, you need to clip them. cut the oem wires before the "y" to the compents and keep them incase you decide to put the stock stuff in. then like you said, run those to your xover box.
    i did this on my 08 and put the stock stuff in just fine when i sold it.

3. Mar 8, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    ChibbMD

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Double Cab
    Thanks Anthony. Two questions:

1) Where will I find the wires before they "Y"? Will this be right there on the door, down in the kick panel, or at the back of the head unit?

2) Do I need to cut the wires or can I use a wire tap to tap into them?

4. Mar 8, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    I honestly dont remember exactly but im pretty sure theyre within inches of the speakers themselves and very easy to access. I simply cut mine giving ample room to make a good splice on either end for when i put the stocks in. Id imagine a good splice will be more secure then a tap in.

5. Mar 8, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    ChibbMD

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Double Cab
    That's basically what I did except with the woofer wires only. Obviously, I need to go a little further back to a spot prior to the split into woofer and tweeter.

Thanks guys.

Products Discussed in

To Top