1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how do you get sway bar off?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by takern, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Oct 10, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    takern

takern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    i almost got my cv axles changed but i cant get the old ones out cus the sway bar is in the way. i see there is one bolt that connects the bar to another little connector. then there is the bolt that holds the connector to the lower arm. i pulled the top bolt holding the sway bar to the connector but i cant actually get the bar to come off. and the lower bolt that attaches to the arm just spins endlessly and i cant figure out what to do. help?

2. Oct 10, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    i took mine off yesterday but its still hanging under the truck. i just took off both the nuts right on the LCA and let it hang for now. it looks real hard to drop the whole thing because the exhaust is all in the way on the passenger side

3. Oct 10, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    ibengineer

ibengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Dirt Logic 2.5" Coilovers, Camburg UCA's, Icon 3 Leaf add-a-pack, billy 5100's in the rear, Custom front Plate bumper, XRC 8500 lb winch, lots of little mods
    its easy. 6 things to undo.

i dont know if the order is important, but I took them off in this order w/out problems. I kept my sway bar off permanently - it rides 100% better offroad and I kind of like the lean on the roads anyway, plus it handles so much better over holes/bumps that only affect one side of the truck.

#1.) one bolt on each side connecting the sway bar to the suspension (sounds like you got these)

#2.) there are two mounting brackets under the truck. This is the part that may be confusing you. The bottom of these brackets has two square nuts - but they are welded on. You need to reach over the bracket and unscrew the bolt that threads vertically downward into these square nuts. There are two bolts on each bracket - I think they were #14 socket.... The one on the passenger side is more of a PITA because the exhaust is in the way - so I used a short socket for this side.

#3.) once you have the 4 bracket bolts out, the sway bar will merely drop off the bottom of the truck.

4.) go wheel - feel the difference (very noticeable on hard trails)

Products Discussed in

To Top