1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do you like your manual transmission? A couple other Q's too

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Vrbas, May 17, 2010.

1. May 17, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    Vrbas

Vrbas [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    I'm looking at getting a base 4cyl with a 5-speed and want to know what y'all think about it.

I just test drove one today and here are my observations:

1 - it's luggy as bawls
    2 - it's a long throw
    3 - it sounds like i'm stressing the engine at 3k RPMs

Then again, the truck i test drove (4 cyl base) had what, 5 miles on the odometer. Anyways, i just want to know what y'all think about it and i have a few questions if you don't mind reading this far down the page...

How long should a clutch last?
    I figure as long as I treat it well. Then again, in the case i do have to replace it, what's that looking to cost me?

Do you think the lugginess has to do with that "20/25mpg"?
    Basically, this thing is a dog down low and the gears seem to be really boggy. Is that what it takes to squeeze good mileage out of this truck?

Is the 6cyl manual transmission this luggy?
    I ask because there is a lot of debate going around on whether or not a 4cyl really gets any better gas mileage than a 6cyl because of the effort it takes to drive a 4cyl.

Do they make the base Tacoma (2wd) with a 6cyl?
    Or do i have to get the PreRunner?

2. May 17, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    red taco

red taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    La Verne, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Impulse Red Pearl
    My observations about the 4.0L V6 after ~30,000 miles.

For starters I like the manual but have spent very little time driving an automatic car/truck ever
    1. Not "luggy as bawls!" if you drive it in the right gear
    2. It's a longer throw than all of my friends cars but its a truck and you get used to it
    3. I love getting it up into the higher rpm's because then it sounds like a real truck since I dont have any engine/exhaust mods.

On another note my neighbor had a 2nd gen 4cyl and we got the same mileage driving back and forth to the desert to go dirtbiking. The 4cyl had a 5spd trans and the V6 has a 6spd. Not 100% sure what the gearing difference is but we got almost exactly the same mileage with our trucks full of bikes, gas and gear.

3. May 17, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    i have a v6 4x4 and they do have a base model with a v6 manual but i love my i just hit 100k a week or so ago and not one problem and it has no "lugginess" to it that thing is awesome and i love it

4. May 17, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    Vrbas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    I hear what you're saying, however even from a stop in first gear it felt really luggy.

5. May 17, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    red taco

red taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    La Verne, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Impulse Red Pearl
    In the V6 first gear is very short. I shift around 10-12 mph sometimes sooner if headed downhill. I haven't driven a 4cyl so I'll take your word for it. See if you can go take a V6 for a test drive. I think you will like the difference

6. May 17, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    Vrbas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    I might have to give it a go. First gear felt really long, which is a weird feeling cause i'm used to driving 6 and 8cyl standards, and you'll get out of first quick even with a conservative driving style.

7. May 17, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    SurfInferno

SurfInferno Dont be stupid, its not smart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 DC
    i Have that exact truck but 2005, it takes a little while to get used to but after a while and driving other cars, it shifts super smooth, its not luggy with the right gas, clutch ratio in the right gear. its perfect. Plus it is a 4cyl not a V6 so its going to be a little slower off the line

8. May 17, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    I got the URD short throw in my 4 banger, It made a big difference.

9. May 17, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    as far as mileage goes, my 2010 4 cylinder 4 wheel drive is averaging about 23.5 with 4700 on the odometer. seeing a noticeable difference between the 4 and 6 is going to depend on how much driving you do with a loaded bed. The 4 cylinder will get better MPG with empty trucks, but if your going to actually be hauling anything youll lose any MPG gains due to the engine working harder to maintain speed

10. May 17, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    go with a v6 sr5 you wont be disapointed, but like red taco said the first gear is very short and it becomes hard to tell if you should be in first or second. I love my truck also but i think they could have made their manual trannys a little quieter.

11. May 17, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    Vrbas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    I would, but there's just something to the base 4cyl that just screams "simplicity" and that's what i'm all about. Not a fan of the PreRunners because of their "lift". It might not be a lift, per say, but i just like the ride height on the base. It's very low profile and i dig it :cool:

12. May 17, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    nagelg

nagelg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Just my personal observation is that the 2.7 is a slow learner. Mine didn't come into it's own until sometime after 10K miles. There were hills I often drive that required a downshift when the truck was new but now it's not a problem at all. As for 1st gear, it shouldn't be 'luggy', it's plenty low and mine is pretty quick off the line (quick enough for me:) ). 3000rpm is where this engine is starting to shine.

I think you should test drive another one or perhaps even a used one that's broken in. It is a good engine.

13. May 17, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I have a 4cyl base model with a lift and 31" tires. Before the lift, the truck had 30" tires on it when I bought it. I didn't feel like it was ever really lacking in power with the 30" tires except in 5th gear. I got a power loss, as expected when going up to the 31" tires. I plan on regearing it to fix that. However, after 2-3 tanks of gas the computer seems to have adjusted to the extra load. The fuel economy has decreased as expected as well. This leads me to think that a truck with only 5 miles on the odo really isn't broken in yet. I don't know for sure as I haven't ever driven a brand new one to compare.

As for the tranny, I have the URD short shifter and it makes it shift much better. The clutch in mine is still fine at around 94k miles or more.

14. May 17, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    Vrbas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    This is all really good feedback. Thanks everyone, keep it coming.

15. May 17, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    Wolfman

Wolfman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    I have no problems at all with the characteristics of my truck. They are not "luggy", the Isuzu I-280 that I drove was luggy. My truck will pull a steep grade in 5th at 55mph and not lose any speed at all. The Isuzu, despite posting higher hp and torque figures, fell on it's face on the same hill. I do all of my shifting at 2,000 rpm, which is coincidentally the running RPM of my truck in 5th gear. The Isuzu for comparison, would be running 1650 rpm at the same speed in 5th.

16. May 18, 2010 at 5:29 AM
    strongwxnc

strongwxnc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bostic, NC
    Vehicle:
    2002 Xtra Cab SR5 2.7L 4WD
    Bushwacker bed rail caps

I assume you mean 2nd gen??

My 4cyl 5sp 02 model is great. It is slow off the line but it is a 4cyl not a 6cyl. I prefer the 4cyl when I test drove both three years ago when I got my truck. I think 4cyl gen 1 get better gas mileage than 6cyl gen 1...

17. May 18, 2010 at 5:48 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I too went with base model simplicity with the 4 cyl 5 spd. It had 31 inch tires on it when I got it and went to 32 inch tires recently. I noticed the loss of power but hey it's a truck. It rolls fine once you get it going and the mpg aren't too bad. Not sure if regearing. If you want something that blasts around then get a sports car, it's a truck, it's gonna be somewhat slower & not corner as good.

18. May 18, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    Vrbas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    Yeah, already went through that phase. They were fun while they lasted. Had an old '99 Trans Am that i tinkered with quite a bit. New cylinder heads, cam, and a wealth of other mods. It's a good thing i wrecked it otherwise i would have just kept dumping money into it :rolleyes: Of course, wrecking it isn't the method i would have chosen to put a stop to all that cashflow, but hey it had to happen for me. I've turned simple since then.

19. May 18, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    tacomakid89

tacomakid89 Awesome Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black, 4x4, TRD Sport Tacoma
    Hard Wired GPS, Scan Guage II, URD Short Throw Shifter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, LED Mag Lite on seat side,Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Removed Front License Plate, Tint Cover Over Rear License Plate, Removed Secondary Air Filter, 13" Shorty Antenna, 5% Tint Rear, 20% Tint Front, Bed Extender, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Fog Light On Anytime Mod, Dual Halo Projection Headlights, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, King coilovers with remote resi in front, Kings with remote resi in rear, Deaver J66 leaf packs, TC UCAs up front.
    If you do get it, then be sure to get the URD short throw shifter. It makes a big difference. I love mine.

20. May 18, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    159 hp in a truck that weighs approx 4000 lbs. It will be slow with any transmission. However, it gets the job done and you will always get over 20 mpg with normal driving. If you can afford the 4.0, I would suggest you go that route, but if you end up with the 2.7, you will still have a great truck, it just won't be nearly as fast. JMO.

Products Discussed in

To Top