1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do you remove a cigarette lighter

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by wormhole7, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Feb 3, 2008 at 9:53 AM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the cigarette lighter so I can splice in to it to power my radar detector and GPS??? Or is there a better way?

2. Feb 3, 2008 at 10:06 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    just run a line through the firewall to the battery. thats all i've done w/ my 2 sets of lights and my cb. i also grounded out them all w/ the ground for the fusebox. u just have to make sure u turn them off when u get out.

3. Feb 3, 2008 at 6:09 PM
    wormhole7

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    Thanks guys.

I think I may opt for the fuse box source that would turn off when the key is off. I guess I should run the wire similarly to maverick491's sticky on the scan gauge so I can put the radar up high, then run one behind the dash for the gps, and drill a hole through the radio faceplate for power and aux input to the gps.

4. Feb 4, 2008 at 3:57 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    On our 2007 .... My husband & I were trying to get access to the cigarette lighter about a few weeks ago. What a frigin headache. We removed both console pieces...pulled out the radio & climate control pieces and still couldn't get in there. I ain't about to take apart the whole dash just for wiring. So we said "TO HELL WITH IT"..... and ran the wiring to the fuse box (for my heated seats).

5. Feb 4, 2008 at 6:12 AM
    wormhole7

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Thanks for the insight. I saw your post on the heated seats, nice. It seems like I saw something about being able to pull the lighter out of the socket and get to the wiring that way, but It wasn't talking about a Tacoma. I don't want to inflict irreversable damamge so I'll just take it to the fusebox. I didn't want to take everything apart, but I guess I should do it "right". I'll just make a day out of it.

6. Feb 4, 2008 at 11:53 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    My husband tried to pull both the cig & power outlet out (like you mentioned)....but didn't wanna force it. And just gave up.

That's the first time we've ever 'given up' on someting like that. My husband said, "Damn, this thing is put together really WELL!"

I was thinking more along the lines of.... "WHY?"

7. Mar 21, 2008 at 5:16 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    The cig lighter comes right out.I replaced mine with the power outlet and cover. I started with needle nose pliers, carefully pulling and twisting to get it loose. Then I used slip joint pliers and and it came right out. Took about 15 minutes, just go slow and careful. That way you will not put any scratches on your dash.

8. Nov 21, 2008 at 2:05 PM
    shenoums

shenoums New Member

Member:
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Lemon Edition
    I'm new to this forum, but I'm in need of assistance. I need detailed instructions regarding how to remove the cigarette lighter and power outlet in my 2006 Tacoma. I bought two plastic covers for the outlet and lighter from the dealer. I thought they'd just be a plastic ring with a cap that snap on, but it's actually an inch and a half long socet with a cap. The dealer told me there should be some tabs I can press in and the lighter socket would slide out. I've been unable to remove either one.

9. Jan 13, 2009 at 4:06 PM
    kvnhlstd

kvnhlstd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Valley of the Sun (Hot Sun)
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4X4
    ^^^^^Bump on above^^^^ I have also bought two power outlets from the dealer and can only get the originals out about an inch. Need mentorship on the above...

10. May 5, 2009 at 4:56 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    Use small screwdriver from outlet side to push the small plastic tabs locked in the metal portion out wards.
    Push metal portion out front side of plastic portion.
    Squeeze plastic portion retaining tabs and it will come out front.

11. Jul 18, 2010 at 3:31 PM
    Planesense

Planesense New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab PreRunner TRD Off Road, JBL
    ARE hard tonneau cover
    I too wanted a clean look to my dash and replace the cig lighter with a power point. After inquiring at two dealers none have heard of doing it. And of course their advise was "you know you can remove the lighter and use that for a power port". I am not kidding, but of course this is Floriduh. Both dealers said you had to remove the consol and part of the dash to get to the lighter, and cautioned that the electrical plugs might not be compatible.
    Removing the lighter was as easy as a previous post said. I eased the metal part of the lighter with a small screw driver. It slid out a half inch or so I then grabbed it with my fingers and twisted it a quarter to a half turn it then came out further, twisting and pulling with very little back pressure it popped right out. I then pried the two tabs on the black ring it too came right out. There is a heat shield behind the dash that is held in place by the black ring. You cannot remove the heat shield without taking the consol and part of the dash appart. Guess the dealers were right.
    I purchased the "socket assy power point" 85530-06010, and the "cover power outlet socket", 85535-0C010-B2, around 40 bucks total. The electrical connections are identical. The only difference is the cover is keyed to open up instead of down like on the right side power point, and the cover appears to be slightly smaller in diameter than the lighter ring. You could shave the key on the new power point cover to make it open down.
    When installing the power point I routed the wire through the heat shield behind the dash just to keep it from rattling and moving around back there. I shimmed the new power point cover with a little tape. Then I mounted the new cover with the door opening up. It all snapped into place easely and has a very clean look. Can't imagine why a vehicle with no ashtray has a lighter.

12. Jul 18, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    The dealers are right, the only difference between the cig lighter and power port is the cig lighter is able to withstand the added heat. They are both fused 12v power sources that can be used. Anything that can go in a power port can go in a cigarette lighter port.

13. Jul 19, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    Planesense

Planesense New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab PreRunner TRD Off Road, JBL
    ARE hard tonneau cover
    I guess I missed with my attempt to poke fun at the dealers. My point was the dealer's advise was odvious to me. It was a clean look to my dash I was after. I realize the expense and labor for something so small may be a little over the top for most people. But judging by this thread I am not alone.

Products Discussed in

To Top