1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do you use your range time?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 06rubi, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Dec 10, 2011 at 2:19 AM
    06rubi

06rubi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    I'm curious what y'all do at the range. Things like shoot from a bench, standing, prone, sitting, moving, around barricades, do you use drills? Do you just shoot pistol or rifle or both. Do you bring all your guns or just one or two? Just whatever really. Post some pics of your shooting range too.

For me I'll generally bring my AR and XDM as primaries and I usually bring my gp100 and now my Glock23 to put a few rounds through as those are my home defense and camping guns. I'll bring the 10/22 if we plan on being there for awhile.
    I only use a bench to sight in or if I'm plinking with the .22. Generally we start off with slow speed accuracy shooting with pistols then its usually a few pistol drills. After that we usually bring out the rifles and shoot some drills with it. Most of the time we are shooting 3 to 35 yds or so. Shoot kneeling, prone, standing, and foward and lateral movements too. We do some shooting from behind barricades but we need to build a few more to setup hallways and such. I've recently started using 2 weapons with the AR as primary and the XDM as my secondary and that is super fun. I've been shooting a little over a year now and have been getting into the tactical shooting in the last 6 months.

2. Dec 10, 2011 at 3:00 AM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

WhiskeyDeltaTango Resident Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
    ARB Bull Bar, ProComp 9" lights, Dual Hella aux backup lights, WARN VR10000, OME 886x, Dakar Leafs, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, Kicker CVT10, Kicker 750.1
    The range where I have my membership is indoors and I hate shooting long guns indoors (plus shooting long guns is like riding a bike for me). So I practice with my 9mm since it's my EDC, home defense and competition gun.

I start off with 10 rds in one mag and focus on the basics. Trigger control/sight alignment. If the accuracy is dead on, I load up to 4 mags with 2-5 rounds and practice slide lock reloads and retention reloads.

Then I work on my draw with the same drill. Draw, shoot 2-5 rds, reload, shoot, reload, shoot. After a couple sequences of that, I randomly load in snapcaps to simulate malfunctions and start the drill over. And if I feel like it/have time I practice all those drills strong/weak hand.

I make sure all my drills build upon each other to maximize efficiency of my rounds down range.

3. Dec 10, 2011 at 3:21 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    There's no gun ranges open to the public back home so I've never had a "true" range experience. Liberal states are no fun.

sub'd.

4. Dec 10, 2011 at 3:37 AM
    TacomaG26

TacomaG26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Goldsboro NC
    Vehicle:
    4.0v6 4x4 TRD Sport
    2.5in spacer leveling kit with Toytech AAL in the rear, Brute Force Fab front and rear bumper, AFE stage2 CAI, Alpine headunit with Rockford Fosgate amp and sub, tibted windows, KC lights.
    I do all kinds of things, usually take 4 or 5 guns at a time, shotguns, rifles, handguns, really doesnt matter i enjoy them all.

3 at 50.jpg

614 (2).jpg

579.jpg

660 (2).jpg

677.jpg
    EOTTC.jpg052200_0907[00].jpg

5. Dec 10, 2011 at 7:48 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I typically take my .45 and 9mm and sometimes a gsg5 for plinking.

The .45 and 9mm I start off by quikly placing a magazine down range as drill. I like to do this as a status of how I shoot more on muscle memory. I'll then look at how I shot and work on one or two adjustments to how I'm shooting. After that I'll plink with the 9 or the gsg.

6. Dec 10, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    kauaibuilt

kauaibuilt U no kea but AINOFEA!

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    1 to 4 guns depending on whos coming with me.

9mm, 40, and/or 45 for me to practice. AR if I can. 15-22 and/or P22 if I want to practice cheaply or have a newbie/rookie friend that wants to plink.

Wife loves my FNP9. Brother in law had a ton of fun with the 15-22. Newbs that I take always start off with the P22.

With my SD pistols I usually start off @ 7-10 yards with slow aimed shots and trigger control. Weaver and isosceles stances, strong hand only, weak hand only with a minimum of 20 rounds per hold depending on how good/bad Im doing. Then go to double and triple taps at different points on the target from the different stances. Finish up with "long-range" shots. Just recently started loading a fired round into the mag to practice tap/rack drills - I REALLY need to buy snap caps.

7. Dec 10, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    Goldstar225

Goldstar225 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pre-runner SR5 4X2
    I only shoot from a bench to zero a rifle, check group size in developing loads or when chronographing velocities during load development. The rest of my range time with rifles is spent firing from different positions relevant to hunting. With handguns I'll work on slow fire to keep the fundamentals of accuracy reinforced, hit speed for the first two rounds from the holster, or engaging multiple targets.

8. Dec 13, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    Apricotshot

Apricotshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    TRD CAI
    I'm lucky as I have access to land to shoot from 0-450 yards.

I usually bring one or two of my rifles and my 3 carry guns. I start with rifle and cofirm my zero hasn't changed. Then I do some timed drills from standing to prone at about 200 or so yards. Then move to the 100 yard line and do some barrier drills with funky positions and what not. Then to 50 yards and do multiple targets from cover. After that I go to 3-25 yards practicing malfunctions and and failure to stop, dot and other drills.

After that I switch to pistol and start at the 7 yard line and try to put 3 shots through the same hole. Once I manange that I start much the same way as the rifle and move back to the 25 yard line and fire from cover in the prone and other postions around a baricade. Practice shooting on the move from 25 to contact distance, trasitions from rifle to pistol, malfunction clearances, multiple targets, blah blah.

After all that I play around and shoot steel with my pistol at various ranges up to 100 or so yards. Makes a good game of HORSE with another shooter. Really helps with trigger control.

9. Dec 13, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    damn yall must have some lenient ranges. the only places around where i shoot dont allow that kind of fun and exciting stuff. usually though ill take my .22, my AR, one of my high powered guns, and my 9mm. ill shoot the high powered first a few times just to ensure that they are still on and just because i enjoy the kick. then i realize how much money i just sent down range and ill switch to my AR. Ill usually shoot it standing at 200 then sitting then prone. if i can i move the target back with each position. then ill shoot my 9mm and cycle about 5 clips through it. some single shots, some quick double shots, and usually one clip as fast as i can while still keeping it on target. finally i bust out the .22 and just plink for fun the rest of the day

10. Jan 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    I take all of my center pistols and empty the mags pretty quick and then reload the mags for one gun at a time and shoot 100 rounds thru each pistol at much slower controlled pace. Then get out the 22 pistols and punch holes in paper. Next i get out which ever 22 rifle I brought with me and see how small of a hole I can make at 50yds. I go to an indoor range that you pay by the hour and I like to get my moneys worth. 10 bucks for as many guns as you want. The city outdoor range is 6 dollars PER gun.

11. Jan 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    well. most bench. or pistol. also we go when they are closed. with is like 3 days a week lol. it’s grate get like the hole place to are selfs. and can shoot 1 round and go look at the target or shoot 3 mags in the AR. dad has keys. are state wildlife resources agency runs the rang. and dad works for them. but has to retire in september. so will prob losses the keys.

12. Jan 2, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    at this point i really swear you are just trying to misuse every word in the english language and fuck with us

13. Jan 2, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Last several trips have been with the new bolt gun and my chronograph working up subsonic fun loads and supersonic hunting loads with a couple different powders. Part of the fun in working with new calibers I guess. Then the next several visits will be working with the same gun to get my come-ups at range and get comfortable with the rifle.

I'll put up a silhouette or run a few rows of plates with my carry gun every once in a while to stay sharp. Last time I got to cycle my carry ammo, which is a great way to burn $30 in ammo in about 5 minutes. 3 mags of Winchester Ranger 9mm.

14. Jan 2, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    Mostly my M4 using the bench and sand bags 100yd range. Really like hitting steal life size at the 430yd though. Pistol standing at 30ft.

Products Discussed in

To Top