1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How does 3rd gen V-6 compare to the 4.0?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Raylo, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Feb 6, 2017 at 5:58 AM
    Raylo

Raylo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    I am looking at selling my 2009 Access cab to get a crew cab "something" and of course the Tacoma is near the top of the list. Just curious how the new motor feels compared to the old 4.0 that I love. Looks like the new mill has more power but less low end torque. Is the difference really noticeable for better or worse?

Ehunter likes this.
  2. Feb 6, 2017 at 5:59 AM
    Kirk5370

Kirk5370 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport +
    Clazzio, Weatherbeaters, Softopper
    Test drive it.

3. Feb 6, 2017 at 6:02 AM
    JWL

JWL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB 4x4 TRDOR
    OME 885, Bilstein 5100, JBA UCAs, 2" Single AAL
    I agree. There may be other issues that may be only evident to you on a test drive. Like the transmission, for instance.

4. Feb 6, 2017 at 6:16 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    I plan to test drive, but would still appreciate reports from those who have owned both.

gunn_runner likes this.
  5. Feb 6, 2017 at 6:17 AM
    Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call Kindling crackles and the smoke curls up...

Member:
    Colorful Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB SR5 4X4 "ikea furniture haulers" edition.
    You will notice. It makes power at a bit higher rpms. You will need to put more pedal in to get it going than you are used too. Once RPMs come up it'll scoot. The other thing is that this engine doesn't seem to mind higher rpms at all. It runs like a sewing machine at high speed where as the 4.0 felt like it wanted to sling a rod.

You should test drive one though.

6. Feb 6, 2017 at 6:23 AM
    Freetime

Freetime Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AC 4x4 Quicksand
    When you do test drive, do yourself a favor and drive around with the ECT button on for a bit for the comparison.

7. Feb 6, 2017 at 6:27 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    Will do. Sounds like the Tacoma will be the polar opposite of the other truck I want to test, the diesel Colorado. That sounds very interesting but I am not towing much now, and my daily driving is more suited towards the Tacoma's powerplant. Concur with Woody that the 4.0 does not like to rev. Otherwise a great motor and my 2009 has been bulletproof.

Joe D likes this.
  8. Feb 6, 2017 at 6:28 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    After having both 2nd and 3rd Gens, and a 4Runner with their 4.0 (it's similar but slightly different), along with the transmissions in all 4 vehicles (2 2nd's, my 3rd, and my wife's 5th Gen 4runner), they all feel different.

2006 Tacoma - Ok, a little torquey down low, kinda dead up top.
    2011 Tacoma - Torquey down low, a little flat up top
    2016 4Runner - Torquey down low, all around pretty decent
    2017 Tacoma - ECT Mode off - No low torque feeling, runs like a banshee at 2500 RPM and up (3500 even better)
    2017 Tacoma - ECT Mode ON - Comparable to 4.0 @ lower end, but not quite as good. Insane anywhere else.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  9. Feb 6, 2017 at 6:29 AM
    Freetime

Freetime Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AC 4x4 Quicksand
    Having driven my 2016 for 9 months now, it likes to rev. Don't be afraid to put your foot in it.

jsinnard, specter208 and TOMRR like this.
  10. Feb 6, 2017 at 6:42 AM
    TWTaco

TWTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Test drive the shit out of it! Meaning freeway driving,hill climbing, even small grades. This 3rd gen drives totally different then 2nd gen! 3rd gen is made for MPG's to pass EPA regulations so 5th and 6th gears are setup for cruising and will downshift at the slightest grades. You really have to take the time to learn how to drive this new motor and trans! A lot of guys have been upset as to how this 3rd gen's shifting flaw's, if thats what you want to call it. The Manual has a 4.30 ring & pinion and auto has a 3.9, If i could do it over i would have gone with the manual but i am just fine with the auto and i will be re gearing to 4.88's soon ! Again test drive both auto & manual get what you like best its going to be your ride!

melikeymy beer and Kilokato like this.
  11. Feb 6, 2017 at 6:54 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    That does seem quite different from my 4.0 5-speed auto. I was always impressed that it would happily pull in 5th gear and it took a lot to make it downshift. This high geared eager to downshift shift behavior seems to be the rule these days for mpg. I like manuals (my Corvette is manual) but the Tacoma will be my DC area DD so auto it is.

12. Feb 6, 2017 at 6:58 AM
    smitty99

smitty99 I also bought a 4Runner

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCSB 4x4 A/T (loaded w/ JBL)
    6112s/5160s & 3-leaf AAL;ubolt flip kit;Superbumps
    Unfortunately I think the test drive is somewhat misleading as the truck gets several thousand miles on it, the transmission seems to "learn" and it gets more aggressive about upshifting to keep the RPMs low. This combined with a delayed kickdown (downshift upon throttle demand) really gives the truck a "dead pedal" feeling. The ECT button helps to cover up for this where the truck will hold gears longer and throttle seems a bit more responsive. I notice my truck performs better after they flash the ECU which supposedly clears the memory and restarts the "learning mode" then a few thousand miles later it is back to the same.

The feeling that you pretty much have to floor it anytime you really want to get the truck moving is annoying. Also if you floor it to pull out into traffic sometimes it stutters and there is a delay which could be dangerous in some circumstances.

Regearing the truck is an option for folks wanting to run larger tires but keep in mind the added costs of parts and labor will put you back at least 2g's if not more.

kngharley likes this.
  13. Feb 6, 2017 at 7:12 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    I'm not a huge fan of consumer reports overall vehicle evaluation as their criteria may differ from an individual buyer. That said, I do put credence in their reported reliability. If you care, the 3rd gen has not performed well in this area based on customer feedback. And by the way I am a Toyota & Tacoma fan.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    knayrb and shakerhood like this.
  14. Feb 6, 2017 at 7:18 AM
    TWTaco

TWTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    I think you will be happy ,once you learn how this truck drives and remember it does have S-mode so you can drive it somewhat like a manual! In the beginning i was very frustrated with it because it didn't drive like my 07 Tacoma but once that's out of your head its a great truck!!! :mudding::oldglory:
    I like the Banshee comparison! :thumbsup:

15. Feb 6, 2017 at 7:22 AM
    smitty99

smitty99 I also bought a 4Runner

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCSB 4x4 A/T (loaded w/ JBL)
    6112s/5160s & 3-leaf AAL;ubolt flip kit;Superbumps
    I guess I don't understand the comments like "once you learn to drive it" or the drive it in "s" mode. The thing with an automatic is that you should turn the key, put it in gear and go. No learning curve required on any other automatic I've ever driven. If I wanted a manual I would have bought one. My 68 GTO is a manual -- 4 speed Muncie M20. My first gen Tacoma was a manual. When you have to commute in rush hour traffic and driving on a day to day basis, the manual is not everyones' cup of tea.

nv529, Pportera and Kilokato like this.
  16. Feb 6, 2017 at 7:23 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the great discussion, guys. It'd be cool if someone offered an aftermarket transmission map that along with re-gearing might be the best solution. But glad to hear real world experience. Gonna be a tough decision for sure.

17. Feb 6, 2017 at 7:37 AM
    ElGatoLoco

ElGatoLoco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB TRD Sport
    I think you've got some good comparisons going for you and while Smitty does whine a lot he's worth hearing so you know the complaints on the other end of the spectrum.

In the end do a through test drive a couple of times to make up your mind.

18. Feb 6, 2017 at 7:40 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    Exactly... one return home from Dulles airport on a Friday afternoon or one trip to the beach on the weekend would disabuse anyone of the notion that a manual is a good idea for a DD around here. Maybe if you are a serious masochist....

19. Feb 6, 2017 at 7:41 AM
    TacomaIan

TacomaIan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Alberta Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Canadian Limted
    After owning a 2012 4L and getting into a 2016 3.5 it's pretty different. Engine noise is different, the old 4L felt like it had tourque at lower RPM's so it would climb hills with ease, however the hearing was very different too.

That being said my fuel economy is significantly better now, and I discovered the ECT power button, and when you hit it, feels much more powerful than the 4L but it's going to rev way up.

James_Bond likes this.
  20. Feb 6, 2017 at 7:43 AM
    Adamtaco

Adamtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 inferno trd sport DCLB
    i agree with smitty99.

s mode isnt meant for it to be driven like a manual. it wont shift up and down on command and shifts slow like most auto tiptronic vehicles.

s mode is just to select the range of gears you want to use... for offroad or towing etc.

you should be able to put the truck in "D" and just drive it.

i know the older tacomas were never powerhouses but the 3rd gen should be able to be geared well enough to get itself up to speeds and maintain a speed without jumping down to 4th gear everytime theres a gust of wind.

also i know exactly what you mean by the kick down delay when passing someone.

iv had 4 or 5 instances where i needed to move out of the way and i stepped on it and it was almost as if the truck was trying to decide on what to do.

the autos should have got the 4.30 gearing i think.

but everyones different... the 3rd gen isnt horrible.. just isnt everyones cup of tea. i dont hate mine but i really wish a few things were tested more before the production release.

take it for a test drive and try and take it for a few days if you are looking to buy one. or test drive a used one with miles on it.

test drive the auto and manual.

Products Discussed in

To Top