1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How effective is a winch off Road?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by TacomaBeinhart, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Jul 9, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Like any tool, a winch is only as effective as the person handling it. Learn to operate it well, and safely, and it will save your ass. My experience with winches is extensive. Go Warn or go home.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. Jul 9, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Got a warn M8000 front and back. Used more times than I can remember for various situations.

3. Jul 9, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Do you have any pics or a build so I can see your rear winch set up?

4. Jul 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    my pics 038.jpg
    Road armor bumper. Couldn't find any other rears with a winch option for the Tacoma. (didn't look very hard after I found this one).

5. Jul 10, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    I think that a winch bumper is a great idea, expecially seeing that you live in BC. Down here in Colorado, 90% for my winching has been in deep snow. In that kind of situation, it's an incredibly valuable tool. Up in BC, like here, you usually have lots of options for winch anchor points (trees usually) and will have lots of opportunities to get bogged down in snow. I'd say, ideally, go with a winch compatible bumper, a name brand winch and the ARB recovery kit as well. The kit has a winch extension strap, a kinetic recovery strap, a snatch block, shackles and even gloves. As you can see from some of the pictures above, you'll probably end up using some or all of these during your winching operations.

As far as gas milieage goes, I didn't notice much of a difference when I upgraded from my stock bumper. It's definately a smaller difference than going with bigger tires.

On another note, I built my bumper with what I call a "winch relocation plate". I can remove my winch from the front by simply removing 4 shear pins. When I build my rear bumper, it will accept this plate so that I can run the winch in either the front or the rear. If you are a fabricator, this would be a cheaper option than running 2 winches. Just food for thought...

Hope some of this helps, and it sounds like you're on the right track with the other comments on here.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  6. Jul 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    I did consider using a removable plate idea, though when you slide beside an obstruction and cannot placce said winch you can have issues.
    Nevermind the money. It's the weight save you'll get the advantage from.

7. Jul 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    True and true. I haven't run into a situation where I wouldn't be able to relocate the winch, but I'm sure I'll run into it in the future. What situation are you thinking of?

8. Jul 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    TacomaBeinhart

TacomaBeinhart [OP] Member

Member:
    Victoria,BC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Thanks a lot to everyone's Ideas and Pics - awesome! I will get a receiver hitch mounted winch, thats my way to go. Able to use the winch rear and at front, so I can rescue my self in basic situations. Up here in BC canada , there is unfortunately no front trailer hitch kit available for the new Tacoma 2013, not yet:(
    skidooman, you white truck looks so cool - nice!
    Any one got some experience with the Warn VR series? these are entry level, and the guy from Lordco autoparts said , the VR series , in my case Im looking into the VR 10000, will do the job!
    http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/VR10000_winch.shtml
    These VR winch is half price than the XD once - there must be a reason for this difference......

Products Discussed in

To Top