1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How effective is the Toyota clear plastic film paint protector?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by chuckmiller, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Oct 10, 2015 at 3:43 PM
    chuckmiller

chuckmiller [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Valrico, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB Limited Barcelona Red
    Sorry, i dont have the proper name of it at hand. What areas does it go on and does it stand up to rock chips and bug damage?

beldar likes this.
  2. Oct 10, 2015 at 5:27 PM
    MannyS

MannyS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Republic of Texas
    Clear bras offer scratch protection from small stones and bugs. I believe that the Toyota offered option only covers the leading edge of the hood. Look into clear bra installers in your area to have the hood, mirror covers and front bumper covered. Price and brand varies.

3. Oct 10, 2015 at 5:33 PM
    chuckmiller

chuckmiller [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Valrico, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB Limited Barcelona Red
    Any suggestions?

4. Oct 10, 2015 at 5:41 PM
    bdunna

bdunna Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tundra access cab
    I used to live in colorado and rock chips were a daily occurrence. These clear bras were a great protection against rock chips. However I was only there about a uear. Not sure how they would look after a few years after washing, waxing, etc. It is plastic and will scratch when rubbed.

Depends on where yo live. In colorado rock chips were inevitable due to close traffic. In iowa a busy highway is no where near as packed and I really don't think the clear bra is necessary.

5. Oct 10, 2015 at 5:43 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Though it works, it covers a relatively small area. I used one once after having use the elevated wind screen. The mounted windscreen deflects small stones away from more of the hood line. I don't like how it looks, but it woks much better for me and I have gone back to them.

6. Oct 10, 2015 at 6:54 PM
    bdunna

bdunna Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tundra access cab
    Clear bras I saw covered the hood and bumper. So lots of protection. Those rocks would bounce of the concrete and usually hit the lower bumber first and secondly the lower hood portion.

Where I live now you are more likely to have a rock from a semi hit your windshield. Therefore I have no clear bra, but I do have a 100$ deductible for a replacement windshield.

7. Oct 10, 2015 at 7:41 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    The one I tried was hood only. I would then use the clear plastic on the bumper but a regular wind screen on the hood.

8. Oct 10, 2015 at 7:53 PM
    addicus24

addicus24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock.Why mess with perfection?Except...
    I have the clear bra in addition to the hood protector. Plan on getting the bumper covered before spring and the next round of love bugs. Probably should get the A pillars and mirrors covered also. In the south, the full bra and hood protector are worth it, just for protection from love bugs. You almost have to wash those damn things off your truck every day, and I just don't see that happening.

9. Oct 10, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    MannyS

MannyS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Republic of Texas
  10. Oct 10, 2015 at 10:03 PM
    tpak

tpak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCLBOR JBL 4x4 Blazing Blue FTMFW
    I live in Colorado and its traffic combined with all the damn gravel/rock everywhere - and it doesn't help that what CDOT uses for snow and calls "sand" would pass for gravel in the rest of the lower 48 - FFS I replace a windshield every 18-24 months. I had a friend move from Canada and he was appalled at my windshield and gave me hell for not fixing it ... well he moved here in November and by June he was apologizing and shaking his head!

11. Oct 11, 2015 at 5:43 AM
    LtTaco

LtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2016 SuperWhite Limited 4X4
    I like the idea of the clear film to protect the paint, but it starts looking bad after a few years. Are you supposed to replace it every couple of years? How hard is it to remove?

12. Oct 11, 2015 at 6:03 AM
    3dBdown

3dBdown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB BBP 4x4 Sport
    If it was me, I would go film and just make a point of redoing it before 5 years (It peels off, but loses pliability over time). There is a difference in films, so ask around locally for feedback and about clarity/warranty. It's basically invisible unless you have a light color and let it get dirty. Then you will see the outline of 'patch' type film areas (such as under the door handles, front of fender area) due to dust.

13. Oct 11, 2015 at 10:31 AM
    uberllama

uberllama Active Member

Member:
    Calgary
    I've always skipped these, as they look terrible no matter the brand or vehicle color. Reminds me of when my neurotic mother used to keep plastic on all the remote controls growing up. If your chips get bad after a few years, get a paint touch up done. Will probably cost less than constant reapplications of yellowing plastic, and you won't look like you're double bagging everywhere you go.

TacoBella likes this.
  14. Oct 12, 2015 at 5:10 AM
    Brian The HO

Brian The HO Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    GA-FL Line
    Vehicle:
    Not a Taco... Yet.
    I've never liked the look of the clear protectors for the hood - even though they do help minimize the rock chips and love bugs - but I would recommend the door guard package. I see a lot of cars where the "cups" (the bowl shaped area behind the door handle is scratched by fingernails and rings. The package in SET-ville runs about $200 which is actually cheaper than if you were to come into the shop and have them installed on your door edges and handles.

15. Oct 12, 2015 at 6:08 AM
    HankP

HankP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy
    I believe clear-bras have really changed in the past few years. I have one on my Camaro that included full front, full hood, A-pillars, both front quarter panels, and side mirrors and it still looks brand new after 5 years. It has a lifetime warranty. Some of the newer clear-bra's have a 'self-healing' effect, like taking a rock and then you can't even tell it was hit. They don't 'yellow' over time, there are some quality clearbras out there. Go to an experienced installer.

shakerhood likes this.
  16. Oct 12, 2015 at 6:49 AM
    Rocky5000100

Rocky5000100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner
    I wish my 4runner had a clear bra. Granted it's 14 years old now, but it has so many chips in the hood paint, and the rest of the vehicle's paint looks great. I would also put some clear film on the leading edge of the roof too. I have some chips up there.

My next vehicle (hopefully a Tacoma or Tundra) will definitely get a clear protector film on the front bumper (if painted) and hood at the very least.

17. Oct 12, 2015 at 8:29 AM
    jonnyozero3

jonnyozero3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dry places
    Vehicle:
    '99 TRD OR V6 M/T
    OME, sliders, dents, hail damage, soiled armrest. Lightbulbs.
    I got the Xpel Ultimate on one of my vehicles. The self-healing of scratches is nice, and it is very hard to see the film. Highly recommended.

18. Oct 12, 2015 at 8:33 AM
    MannyS

MannyS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Republic of Texas
    I have had XPEL on my Corvette for a couple of years with no issues. Only gripe I have is that XPEL is very expensive compared to other clear bras.

19. Oct 12, 2015 at 10:17 AM
    HankP

HankP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy
    For those that are considering it, make sure you know how to take care of it. You don't want to leave bug guts all over it for days at a time, as it will destroy it. You have to take care of it a little more. It is worth it, and cheaper than getting the front bumper painted every few years. But it's not something you just put on and forget about it.

20. Nov 22, 2015 at 3:35 PM
    gsp

gsp Member

Member:
    Has anyone put the clear bra cover on super white? I have it on a grey sub and think it's great but am concerned that it will show on the white and look dumb. Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top