1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How heavy a horse trailer can I safely tow?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by judyc135, Apr 29, 2012.

1. judyc135

judyc135 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 2010 Access Cab, 4WD, 6 cyl with tow package which I bought specifically to tow a horse trailer...I love driving the truck but couldn't justify the purchase of the Tacoma just for fun.

I recently bought a trailer that weighs 1900lbs and the two horses weigh about 1800lbs...problem is my horse is claustrophobic in this type of trailer and I'm thinking of selling it and getting a different style that is also slightly bigger. I know the truck is rated to tow 6,500lbs.

How high in weight for a new trailer do you think I can safely go, I'm feeling pretty cautious about this decision? Thanks!

2. ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    these trucks will tow 6500 but getting up there is not fun, acceleration braking and handling all deteriorate going up in weight. IMO if your going bigger you may want to consider a full size -- if it was me a diesel.

3. judyc135

judyc135 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for your responses. I was thinking of going no higher than 2,500 lbs in weight with a new trailer. What do you think?

Yes, a bigger truck would open up all kinds of trailer options but I don't want to drive anything larger because of the size and I'm already in shock at the gas pumps after driving a Corolla for 19 years.

4. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    6500lbs with the V6 with tow package not just any model.

2500lbs should be fine. I'm not sure how much horses weigh though. 1000lbs? Make sure the tongue weight isn't exceeded. Also get airbags because the stock springs suck.

5. deadhed61

deadhed61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    A little lift and a little armor
    I towed my 4Runner a month or so ago, which was almost the max tounge weight and tow capacity with the upgraded tow package, and the truck did just fine up/down steep grades. I was actually pretty impressed. 300 mile trip and the only thing I can complain about was the 15mpg (which wasn't even that bad!) I was being very safe and driving the 55mph speed limit cause it was my first tow with the 2012.

[​IMG]

6. judyc135

judyc135 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I can find out the tongue weight from the trailer manufacturers but I'm not sure how that figures in to the safety calculations with respect to the truck?

My horse and his buddy are not very big, together they only weight about 1,800 lbs.

By the way, so far the people I've talk to at the Toyota dealership are not too well informed on this topic!

7. IDtrucks

IDtrucks Just out for a rip are ya bud?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, removable mothafuckin doors
    75% of tow rating to be safe and comfortable.

8. jlvhrse

jlvhrse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4X4 Long Bed
    I used to pull what i believe to be a 3,000lb trailer (2horse, steel) with two 1,000lb horses in it. I have a 2006 V6 with towing package. I also used a weight distributing system on my truck and trailer to help well, distribute the weight so it is not all directly on the tongue. I did not use electronic breaks (like i did with my 4runner) but was just careful to break early and did not encounter any problems.

[​IMG]
    yes my trailer was fugly but it was functional :)

9. dARWiN

dARWiN n00b

Member:
    Taos, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off-Road extended cab 4.0L V-6
    Does whether it has single or double axel come into factor here?

I have an '08 V-6 with tow package and have two options:

a 3500lb-4000lb aluminum 3-horse slant-load horse trailer (with electronic braking system) loaded with only one 900-lb horse and 400-lbs of hay, gear, etc,

-OR-

a single-axel 2000-lb(ish) steel 2-horse straight-load trailer, same loading of 900-lb horse and 400lbs of hay, gear, etc.

for some longer-distance trips, would most people agree with me that the lighter option (the smaller steel trailer) is the better option?

10. Khaos

Khaos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Tallahassee FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    265/75/16 BFG A/T, 18" Magnaflow, K&N Intake Filter, Ultra-Gauge, Kobalt Toolbox, Metal Tail Light Guards, Cobra 19 and 4ft fiberglass antenna, Plasti dipped Badges/lower valance/rear bumper/grill/bullbar/ac controls, black DIN kit, JVC KD-X40, Wet Suit Seat Covers
    Too small a truck for towing horses IMHO. Time for a Tundra.

To Top