1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How long is everyone's TPMS batteries lasting and what are you going to do when they die?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Markcal, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Jan 1, 2018 at 4:15 AM
    Markcal

Markcal [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I checked the air pressure before driving yesterday with the arctic cold we have been experiencing and added air to my spare when I Fluid Filmed it in November. I was driving and the TPMS light came on for like 5 minutes, then when out. That got me thinking, I have the original batteries in my TPMS. How long are everyone's batteries lasting and what are you going to do when they need to be replaced. In Massachusetts it's not required to have a working TPMS to pass the State inspection, so is it worth getting it fixed when the batteries die? I don't like asking a question that has already been asking here, but I couldn't find an answer using TW search engine.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    srdoublecab2.7 likes this.
  2. Jan 1, 2018 at 4:18 AM
    kidthatsirish

kidthatsirish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma access cab base 2.7L 4x4 5speed manual
    Awesome CB setup, TRD leaf springs, matching camper shell...more to come some day.
    I don't know about you...but I would just have them replaced the next time you get a set of tires...my truck is 12 hears old and they still seem to.work on mine.

On a side note...for some reason...i didn't think they used batteries?

3. Jan 1, 2018 at 4:18 AM
    SnowB0und

SnowB0und Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 4x4
    Subbed

4. Jan 1, 2018 at 4:23 AM
    Markcal

Member:
    Yeah, mine are about the same age, which surprised me they lasted this long. I watched Scotty Kilmer and he displayed an aftermarket TPMS that can be installed externally (on the valve stems) and you can view each wheels pressure, without paying to replace them inside the wheels. There is also a locking mechanism that keeps them from being stolen too.

McHale and TomTwo like this.
  5. Jan 1, 2018 at 4:28 AM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    I think I will have them replaced next fall when I get new tires. With the cost of each TPMS unit, plus pulling tire and rebalancing, heck that has to be about $250 -$300 I would think. Never had to do it yet. I’m going to buy Michelin defenders so I would hate to just put those on and 2 yrs later my light starts blinking.

6. Jan 1, 2018 at 4:34 AM
    Markcal

Member:
  7. Jan 1, 2018 at 5:32 AM
    highriserkaiser

highriserkaiser Estoy Grifo

Member:
    Gunnison National Forest
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB TRD Offroad 4x4
    2007, bought it in April. If I had to guess based on other things, previous owner never changed them. Happy 2018, batteries.

8. Jan 1, 2018 at 5:36 AM
    TacomaJack099

TacomaJack099 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    Blue 2007 Tacoma 2.7 / 5 speed AC 4x4
    Last November, my TMPS light came on, 10+ year old truck with 166K on it... I was having the tires balanced/rotated and told the guy to find the issue and estimate the cost. He said that the spare and two rear tires were not talking at all, and the front tires were reporting incorrectly (reporting 38psi when the tire held 30). Now, I waved the BS on him because I didn't think they reported a pressure, just reported x number psi change from where they were calibrated/set.
    I asked the counter guy for the estimate and he said $125 per sensor and 20 each to install them... he was nice to me and said they would continue the lifetime balance on the tires and balance after install under that deal. Thanks! So, $725 and then I would have seen some tax and stuff... I kinda like that little Ninja Turtle sticker my grand daughter gave me that I have over the TMPS light now.
    I looked at Amazon for the OEM (I think) sensor and it was $46 each, but I think you'd have to get them registered with the system, so you have some shop time to do that.

TRDSport10 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Jan 1, 2018 at 5:44 AM
    Markcal

Member:
    Yeah, I check my tires for proper inflation regularly, so I think I will negate the dummy light, in favor of the 2 cents electrical tape repair.

10. Jan 1, 2018 at 6:28 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    Discount Tire Direct, $25 each. I had a sensor go out so I replaced all 5. You do not have to have the tires dismounted and rebalanced to replace sensors. They can just break the tire at the valve, replace the sensor and air up the tire. I just came back from TN. and no problems with vibrations or shimmy on the interstates. I was lucky, the garage did not even charge me for replacing the sensors and reprogramming the tpms.

11. Jan 1, 2018 at 6:40 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I had 2 go bad this last summer on my 09. Went ahead and replaced them all. I thought it was a bit short, but maybe not.

12. Jan 1, 2018 at 6:41 AM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    Just put electrical tape over the light. TPMS is the worst invention ever.

Can’t disable it without jumping through electrical hoops, cost more to maintain it, and if you really have that much air out of your tire, it’ll be visually noticeable anyways.

JGO likes this.
  13. Jan 1, 2018 at 7:01 AM
    Markcal

Member:
    In my opinion the oil change maint. dummy light is even worse than the TPMS.

14. Jan 1, 2018 at 7:16 AM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    Toyota uses Direct TPMS sensors. They do in fact report the absolute pressure for every tire. He was right.

15. Jan 1, 2018 at 7:49 AM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    My truck is 9 and my TPMS are failing now.

16. Jan 1, 2018 at 8:09 AM
    11DBJR

11DBJR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    O'side, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab 6-speed manual
    Just had one go bad recently on my '11. Luckily was covered under the extended warranty and replaced for free. I was told they last about 8 years (or so). But ya for about $200 per tire to have them replaced at the dealer I wasn't happy at first.

17. Jan 1, 2018 at 8:18 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    While overall TPMS is more of a tech gimmick than anything, I did have a tire begin to lose air via slow leak from a nail. Tire wasn’t quite that low visually, but light came on, I found the culprit, and I was able to at least get myself to a tire place while I still had a decent air pressure in the tire. Mainly was helpful as at the time I lived in an apartment and hardly had any tools, no air compressor.

I can see how it can be helpful in certain situations.

The price however to replace/reprogram new sensors is bullshit.

18. Jan 1, 2018 at 8:22 AM
    Boyk1182

Boyk1182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado
    I called around about getting some new sensors flashed, and everyone I called said they’d do it for free. Even Costco would. I wouldn’t budget for that, it should be free with a small tip.

19. Jan 1, 2018 at 8:23 AM
    david-oregon2999

david-oregon2999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The manual rats us all out.... aftermarket wheels/tires, snows, mud, chains... all will freak out tpms.

This 2017 is my first rig with tpms, have no relevant experience.

20. Jan 1, 2018 at 8:39 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    My TMPS light has been on almost since I bought the truck.

RogueTRD likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top