1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How long should stock shocks last?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoMaster, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Oct 27, 2016 at 1:53 PM
    TacoMaster

TacoMaster [OP] Member

Member:
    I've got a 2007 DCLB TRD Sport @ 92k miles still running on stock shocks. Just wondering how long these should last before considering replacement?

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Oct 27, 2016 at 1:55 PM
    ChemDawg

ChemDawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2005 sr5 4x4
    160xxx and still ok...on my 05

ChadsPride likes this.
  3. Oct 27, 2016 at 2:05 PM
    TacoSauceHB

TacoSauceHB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Rathdrum, ID
    Vehicle:
    2017 _TRD Off-Road DCLB 4X4 Tech Package
    King 2.5 ext travel, Camburg uniball UCA, SCS Ray10 wheels, 285/75/16 Cooper STT Pro's, CMC , MBRP exhaust, K&N cai , OVTune 1.05 , T-rex billet grill, Rigid DS Pro ditch lights, SDHQ ditch light brackets, Leer 100XQ Shell, ShmellFab Sliders, Victory 4x4 Roof rack, LED headlights. SOS Concepts bumper, Smittybilt X20 Winch, Nitro 5,29 gears, ECGS clamshell bushing.
    Depends how you drive mostly. I've heard if you off road frequently you should replace between 60-80k miles. For commuting 100k ish. Even if they are not totally worn out , your truck will drive much better with fresh shocks. Does it bounce a lot when going over dips at speed? That is usually one way to tell if they are worn. I upgraded to Billstein 5100's front and back and have about 100k miles on them and they are not necessarily blown out, but the rubber bushings in the eyelets has deteriorated pretty bad and makes bad squeaky clicky noises now. I commute 90% of my drive and only do mild off roading. I ordered some Fox 2.5 coilovers with remote resi and fox 2.0 with remote resi in the back. I didnt feel any performance difference with the 5100's compared to stock but they were a cheap fix. The Fox shocks are rebuild able so you keep them for life and just rebuild for much cheaper than replacing every 60-100k.

ChadsPride likes this.
  4. Oct 27, 2016 at 3:17 PM
    TacoMaster

TacoMaster [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks guys. No "bouncing" just more of the same kind of harsh ride with some squeaking coming from the front right. Shock bodies look pretty good for almost 10 years old. I'll have to get under it and have a closer look at all the connection points.

Thinking about 5100's all around with a mild lift, some new wheels and tires...dunno, 4-Runner TE/KDSS looks pretty good too though, so maybe save the cash for that!

Coolerman and ChadsPride like this.
  5. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:10 AM
    Crikeymike

Crikeymike ExitOffroad.com Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    They should last as long as their factory warranty, technically. But other shocks that give a lifetime warranty won't last a lifetime!! haha. Shocks can continue "working" for a very long time, but they just won't absorb as well as when they're newer.

Offroad a lot? 2-3 years or 40,000 miles. If changed out then, you would notice a difference.

Ctupton and ChadsPride like this.
  6. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:59 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    I'm at 66k miles and am starting to notice a more harsh ride on certain well-finished roads where the road has dips that weren't 100% smoothed out. I think you'll get a myriad of views on how long they last, but stock shocks on most vehicles typically last only 50k - 75k miles before the ride and handling degradation is noticeable. They will however usually continue to 'last' and have a useful life to control the springs, but they just won't do a good job at it. As a result, other sister suspension components which are more expensive and time consuming to replace will degrade earlier. I'm sure in my case the rear tsb springs are now significantly loosened too, and contributing to a harsher ride. New shocks are on my to do list first thing next spring.

Shock (and and of course tire) replacement are probably the two big 'wear' items to be a little OCD over, and replace earlier than necessary if one cares about road handling, control and steering feel. Otherwise if it's just a truck to get from point a to b, use them until the truck bounces down the road.

Ctupton likes this.
  7. Oct 28, 2016 at 10:33 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I have always noticed on pick ups that the front wear faster than the rears. I usually replace fronts at 70-80k and rears somewhere around 100

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  8. Oct 28, 2016 at 1:59 PM
    Pork Chopper

Pork Chopper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4
    Same truck here with 172k (mostly highway) and I've just started to get a harsh ride in the past few months. They're not gone yet but I see 5100's in the near future.

9. Oct 28, 2016 at 2:01 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    My OEMs were changed at about 30k when they did the TSB springs, at 110k I installed Monroe OESpectrums because the Bilstiens were so rusty I didn't trust them. I liked the OESpectrums and a heck of a lot cheaper that Billies. The Billies were still performing OK at 110k but it was time.

10. Oct 28, 2016 at 2:30 PM
    Charlot

Charlot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 2018 Upgraded
    Same year as mind
    Also,very close milages too,
    I changed my shocks about one year and a half,then i was pretty close to 95 thousand kilomters.
    It made a differnce for sure,and i have no regrets.
    Bilstein 1500 was my choice.
    Best of luck
    Charly

11. Oct 28, 2016 at 5:27 PM
    jrdriver8

jrdriver8 Active Member

Member:
    Ma
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma PreRunner
    Stock
    I have a 02 Prerunner with 142K and I just replaced all four with a set of Monroes from Rock Auto. They may not be as good as the OEMs but wow , what a difference. For $210 for four and a rebate for one free, how can you go wrong. I have not taken it up on the highway as of yet but I can already feel a big difference. I would say the truck is an inch higher in front.

12. Nov 6, 2016 at 9:09 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Shipping time for a set of 5100s.
    Seriously, the stock suspension is a sad joke.

13. Nov 6, 2016 at 9:43 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I got almost 50k miles out of my stock shocks. They were worthless when I replaced them.

14. Nov 7, 2016 at 3:25 AM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    I replaced mine at 127,000. I was getting some odd tire wear and replaced them before buying new tires.

15. Nov 7, 2016 at 3:32 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Shocks typically deteriorate too slowly to draw your attention to the change in ride/performance quality.

The only way to really know the condition is to remove one and test it. The manual 'bounce' method is pretty worthless on coilovers and leaf packs for trucks; you can't really get enough pressure going by hand to overcome spring stiffness.

My guess would be that at 100k you'd be well served to replace all 4 corners.

16. Nov 7, 2016 at 4:51 AM
    Rushbrook

Rushbrook Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm at 145k on my TRD with OEM. I thought they were about dead until I had the leaf spring recall done. the ride has softened quite a bit I'm probably due for new ones though. they looked pretty crusty when I was changing the rotors a couple weeks ago.

17. Nov 7, 2016 at 5:09 AM
    spiralout462

spiralout462 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Shore VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 dclb
    Icon suspension '15 toyota nav TRD FJ SE anthracite wheels Weathertechs Trd pro pieces
    At 65,000 I am replacing mine. After driving my wife's Highlander I realized how much room there is for ride improvement. Although apples to oranges, that thing rides awesome on the road!

I ordered Icons all around plus an add a leaf.

18. Nov 7, 2016 at 7:28 AM
    Bruce988jl

Bruce988jl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD Off-Road & 05 Mitsubishi Evo
    I'm at 124k right now with the stock struts and springs. Plus the new TSB leaf pack helped the rear a bit. I'm saving up for an extended travel setup for now.

19. Nov 7, 2016 at 8:20 AM
    Larueminati

Larueminati Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western MA.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD 0FF-ROAD
    I'm at 65K on my 2013 and i'm suspect my front shocks are blown. Had a squeek that sounded like a cricket in my front left wheel well so I changed my front brakes and it's still there. It's as if the finite movements in the shock make the squeak, all I know is it's annoying.

20. Nov 7, 2016 at 2:04 PM
    Checkk

Checkk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner TRD OFFROAD
    Any shocks or struts can replaced as early as 60k mileage, eventhough they are not worn out they are at least degraded by 50%. Most people don't even really notice a difference because shocks are something that gradually wears out until you refresh them with a new set then you'll notice a difference. I usually recommend to change them around 100-120K unless the shocks are leaking, causing cupping tire wear, or signs of shock failure. At that mileage you'll actually notice a difference on the way the vehicle handles, stability going over bumpy roads, braking, and traction. I usually tell people think of this, you know your trunk shocks or hood shocks when they start failing and dropping. Shock and struts work the same way except its flipped upside down on a 2500 to 4500 pound vehicle making hundreds of up and down movements a day when your driving. They are not mean't to last forever. I bought about 3 different used low mileage OEM yellow shock absorbers for a few of my family member who own older second gen tacoma with the lowest mileage being 140k. After installation all of them said the truck rides so much better. Shock are one of my favorite maintenance item to do on a vehicle because there are so much more benefit to your vehicle then just riding smoother.

I usually also like to use this example when it comes to the benefits from shocks. In some testings, vehicle has known to stop up to 10 feet faster and complete lap times up to 10-15 seconds faster by replacing slightly worn shock absorbers. Just imagine tens of hundreds of thousands of cars that could of avoided rear end accidents or accidents in general and insurance company saving hundred of millions of dollar a year if they could of people can just invest a few hundred dollars in replacing their shock absorbers as a maintenance items at 100k just to have the capability to stopping a few feet faster or having more stablity to be able to steer better to avoid a car accident from happening.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top