1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How many volts are required to crank a 4.0?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hard Luck, May 7, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    Hard Luck

Hard Luck [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    lift, cold air intake, jba headers, Boarla, 18" XD wheels, 33" Toyos, billet grille, in cab 110 outlets, 400 watt all the time, bed lights, fog lights anytime
    I want to install an alarm circuit that will sound when my battery gets below the engine starting voltage. I use my outlets a lot with my truck off and have drained the battery a little low before. My question is does anyone have a good idea what voltage to set it to trip at?:confused:

2. May 7, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    Its not so much voltage you need you need AMPS to do the work. As for starting its around 80 to 150 amps( depends on engine temp) at 12.4 volts. Of course the lower the voltage the higher the amps have to go to make up the difference.

I will give you a better idea use a second battery problem solved.

Automotive SLI batteries are usually lead-acid type, and are made of six galvanic cells in series to provide a 12 volt system. Each cell provides 2.1 volts for a total of 12.6 volt at full charge.

3. May 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    A fully charged battery is 12.2 volts I believe, and a fully discharged battery is 10.5. It is never a good idea to run a battery down past half way, and that is especially true of a starting battery. Deep cycles can take more abuse. I would set the trigger around 11.5 volts. If that doesn't provide enough power for your other needs, you'll need to add a deep cycle on an isolated circuit.

4. May 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    i know some remote starters have that feature built in where they will start the car automaticly when battery gets drained....

5. May 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    sounds like second battery time.

6. May 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Battery is pretty weak at 12.2 volts a fully charged battery is 12.7 as the voltage drops the current climbs. There are any number of voltage cut offs on the market generally used on stuff that has a lot parasitic drains like cop cars ambos etc.

7. May 7, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
    This /\

8. May 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    Hard Luck

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    lift, cold air intake, jba headers, Boarla, 18" XD wheels, 33" Toyos, billet grille, in cab 110 outlets, 400 watt all the time, bed lights, fog lights anytime
    sounds like a second deep cycle battery is what I need. I wasn't looking to add a battery in my bed but it would be the best route I guess. Has anyone ever used a Odyssey battery. I had one on a motorcycle I built but only had it for a month, so I never got to see how it performed. I hear they are supposed to be the best, and they are half the size of a stock battery. Maybe if I run two 12 volt odysseys parallel that will give me twice the amperage and a longer lasting 12 volts, and will still fit under the hood...

9. May 7, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    unless you had the amperage to keep up.

power is voltage multiplied by current.

10. May 7, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    No, 12V is just the nominal voltage. Mainah is correct that a fully charged battery is 12.7V. It depends on the battery though. An older battery may never reach 12.7. When the vehicle is running most everything is operating on 14 V. When operating on just the battery, the voltage is another way of looking at the specific gravity. Both decrease as the stored charged is used. Most all components work off a wide range of voltages.

11. May 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    The Sears Platinum is a rebadged Odyssey. Very good battery. You need a deep cycle for the second battery, not a starting battery. They are not the same. I agree that a second battery is a good idea. Determine your demand and then size it accordingly. Some people also attach a solar charger to their aux. battery and extend the operating time even farther.

Here's a good website that I have bookmarked for my own use:
    http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html

12. May 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    1GR

1GR Toyota Dealer Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    I see it's been mentioned before. You could have a fully charged batter at 12.6V with 50 CCA, and your truck will not start. Aqt the same time you could have a battery at 10.5V with 600CCA, and your truck will start. With 12v, and 200cca, it will be very slow cranking, but should start, baring your not in cold temperatures.

13. May 8, 2012 at 1:02 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    As stated above by maineah. I think it was called a battery buddy.It cut the power when battery was getting low.. Its set to have enough power left to start vehicle.

14. May 8, 2012 at 2:21 AM
    Joshua1

Joshua1 Member

Member:
    support[​IMG]

15. May 8, 2012 at 3:59 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    The only problem with that is at 10.5 volts you do not have 600 CCA you have a very dead battery. The rated CCA is only at 12.7 and falls like a rock as the voltage drops. You could have a 1000 amp battery and at 10 volts it won't crank or lights the lights. A good battery pushed beyond it's rated amperage may not start an engine but just about any thing out there now in a decent state of tune will start easily. Starting batteries have a lot of short duration amperage but not much reserve it is what they were intended for so they don't do well with the likes of inverters that draw heavy current over a longer time span the inverter full load is going to draw 30+ amps a start battery won't be able to sustain that for very long. If you need to run the inverter a battery isolator and a deep cycle battery will be your only way out.

16. May 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    Hard Luck

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Can I hook the Deep cycle battery up so my alternator will charge it while my engine is running?:confused:

17. May 8, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Sure you can. That's how the batteries in travel trailers charge while you drive. You can probably google around and find wiring diagrams. It's easy. You will need it "isolated" though. There is more than one way to do that. I use a relay triggered off an acc wire. You can buy actual isolators too. I've used both schemes in the past.

doublethebass likes this.
  18. Jul 16, 2020 at 5:23 AM
    jvalky

jvalky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2009 Highlander Hybrid
    Not quite so simple as all batteries have some internal resistance.
    If a new battery has an internal resistance of 5 milli-ohms, and all the connections back to the starter add another 5 milli-ohms, then at 250 amps, the voltage drop is 250 amps x .01 ohms = 2.5 volts. This is common to have only 10 volts at the starter and it will turn over just fine. As the battery ages, sulfates and corrodes internally; this resistance goes up, and the voltage at the starter drops (which provides less current and less/slower starting. There are other factors as well:
    Cold weather will also increase the internal resistance and reduce the capacity of the battery.
    When a battery is rated at 550 CCA or 550 Cold Cranking Amps, it indicates that the battery can supply 550 amps at 0 degF, and the voltage will be 7.2 volts or higher.
    This means when the internal voltage is at 12.5 volts (fully charged at 0 degF) -7.2 = 5.3 Volts at 550 amps = 5.3 /550 = 10 milli-ohms.
    Note that cold engines are more difficult to crank over due to tighter components and thicker oil. The battery also loses about 50 - 60 % of its capacity. Clean an lower viscosity oils at the W rating (10W -30) will also alleviate the power required to start.

doublethebass likes this.
  19. Jul 16, 2020 at 4:57 PM
    cwadej

cwadej Ballerina Award winner

Member:
    Right Here
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    @jvalky, did you look at the last post date? May 8, 2012. How'd you even find this thread?

CurtB likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top