1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How quickly things can go wrong

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Fightnfire, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Dec 29, 2015 at 1:50 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire [OP] Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Short story.

I'm on vacation for two weeks and decided to take the boys (5 & 7) up to play in a snow a bit. We headed out to the same area I've gone to dozens of times as an adult and as a kid. I grew up out here. The road is Mtn. Loop highway in Washington which connects the small old logging town of Granite Falls with the smaller town of Darrington. One of the prettiest roads around. To the end of the granite falls side, paved, is about 45 minutes east of me. There are dozens of camping and hiking spots along the way as well as a ranger station. Beautiful country. It's snowing and about 30 degrees outside.

Pretty close to the end of the road I see a kid standing on the side of the road, he's waving me down. Appears to be about 18-22. I stop and we chat. He decided to go hiking and turned off a not cleared forest road and promptly got his completely stock Xterra stuck about 200' off the road. It's just around a corner and I can't see it but I can see he was pushing snow a bit. On top of this, he's been trying to get himself out for a couple of hours and is nearly out of gas. He has 2 hours of daylight left, if that. He stopped a couple of other people who promised to alert the ranger station to his predicament but none were willing to help. He has no overnight clothes, no food, no water, no protection... no nothing. There is no cell service in this area, it's about 20 miles back down the road.

After assessing him, having him show me his pockets etc. and having a pretty clear conversation about my willingness to protect my kids I decided to try and help him. I turned down the road and then pretty quickly decided I was not going to even try and get to his SUV, after some work I backed back out to the road. At this point he has a decision, take my shovel and continue to try and free himself or jump in the back of the truck and I'll run him to town.

He decides to take my shovel and give it another go. I tell him I'm going to the end of the road and that I would be back in about 30 minutes. When I get back he's standing at the road again, shivering and cold. Now he decides to jump in the truck, back, and we head into town. About 20 back down the road I pass a Sheriff and flag him down, explain I have a kid in the back who was stuck etc. The Sheriff was heading out to assist him and the kid goes with the Sheriff. As I approach town about 15 miles away from the exchange point I get pulled over from another Sheriff who asks if I can look in the back of the truck for the kids keys.... At some point in this whole process he dropped his keys. They weren't in the back of my truck.

Why am I telling this story?

Hikers die out in this area every year without fail. Right now there is another very experienced hiker missing in this same area. He will not be found alive.

As we all go out and play in our trucks on the weekend it is easy to forget how quickly things can go wrong. Be prepared. Don't venture off alone without the proper equipment. If you are going off-roading or just exploring forest roads have water, clothes, recovery gear etc.

It reminded me of this video I watched.... these guys are the pinnacle when it comes to being prepared, but shit still goes sideways. The unexpected happens.

https://youtu.be/f8trkgFX6wI

Here's a few pics from that day before I encountered the kid. This is about half way out on Mtn. Loop Highway at the Turlo campground:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  2. Dec 29, 2015 at 8:05 PM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    It's scary how quickly things can change.

ChadsPride and dtaco06[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Dec 29, 2015 at 8:10 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    If that ain't sobering I don't know what is.

ChadsPride likes this.
  4. Dec 29, 2015 at 8:11 PM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Busted CV boots and lots of squeaks.
    This thread wins.

The third paragraph is my favorite part.

I helped two young kids on a rainy night on the mountain here one night. It was just about the same situation.

CelsisTaco likes this.
  5. Dec 29, 2015 at 8:35 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    Good on you man. Definitely helps to know what your limits are as far as self recovery and supplies to get you through. Glad you were the minority who stopped and helped, as you mentioned a few people passed and that seems to be the norm these days.

Loved the video too. Anyone with maxtrax or treds know if they could have slipped them under the recoveree to lift him over the mud rather than pushing through it? Been in that place before and the only thing that got me out was some solid pulls on a strap.

Fightnfire[OP] likes this.
  6. Dec 29, 2015 at 9:02 PM
    EDDO

EDDO                         

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    19 TUNDRA
    This thread really brings the point home. When venturing out solo, in addition to proper supplies and equipment, the ability to communicate is essential. My choice is the inReach from Delorme using the Iridium satellite network. Allows people at home to track your location against your known itinerary and also allows the user to send and receive text messages. And there is an SOS button if the situation is life-threatening.

7. Dec 29, 2015 at 9:22 PM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    the inReach looks cool, I may have to pick one of those up.

EDDO likes this.
  8. Dec 30, 2015 at 6:43 AM
    PoweredBySoy

PoweredBySoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5
    I plan on getting one of those.

EDDO[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Dec 30, 2015 at 7:08 AM
    taczilla

taczilla I intend to live forever; so far.... so good!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    PEC, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 RAM Rebel
    2012 TRD Sport - STOLEN! / 2016 RAM Rebel
    Hey, OP, good on ya for being a Good Samaritan.

And one quick question, what brand/size tires on your truck?

10. Dec 30, 2015 at 7:14 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    Great post and a testament to the lack of common sense out there is this world we live in.

11. Dec 30, 2015 at 7:22 AM
    SalmonTaco

SalmonTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Naches
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver TRD Sport
    Brute Force bumpers, TRD FauxLocks, 5100s & 885s, Falken Wildpeaks, SnugTop MVP Shell, Tuffy Bed Box, Console Vault, Fogs anytime, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Wet Okoles, aFe Pro Dry S, PowerStop Z36 pads & drilled/slotted rotors, more shit I can't remember
    I thought that was mtn loop when I saw the pics on the Live thread.

12. Dec 30, 2015 at 7:39 AM
    2big4arunner

2big4arunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vernon BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma dclb
    3/2 leveling kit, 275/60r20 duratracs on xd128 20x9 rims, AFE stage 2 intake, trd exhaust, duel electric fan w/dakota digital controller
    Been there and recovered people who weren't prepared. It's one of the main reasons I am getting a winch receiver for my truck. Here is one where it pays to have a couple extra straps though. image.jpgI was just out wheeling with my buddy and this skid trail looked inviting. That embankment is over 1:1 slope.
    image.jpg
    And for fun cause it says Fordimage.jpg

13. Dec 30, 2015 at 8:05 AM
    EDDO

EDDO                         

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    19 TUNDRA
    Group runs are different. Doing recoveries is part of the experience.
    [​IMG]

14. Dec 30, 2015 at 8:34 AM
    PoweredBySoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5
  15. Dec 30, 2015 at 9:42 AM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Goodyear Duratracs @ 265/70-17

16. Dec 30, 2015 at 9:49 AM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
  17. Dec 30, 2015 at 10:04 AM
    Btnewman

Btnewman Benjamin Newman

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Grand Junction co
    Vehicle:
    Uh. It's beat to he//. But it's only 1 owner.
    Custom body work/damage ARB rear locker Bumpers Shocks Other parts Tires and Rims Air tank fully plumbed into truck "Golf ball mod"
    There has been quite a few times I have stopped to help people stuck and check on their safety as I drive back and forth to North Dakota. Every body needs a hand at some point, lord knows I have need a tug a few times in my life

doyouevenprerun likes this.
  18. Dec 30, 2015 at 10:10 AM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
  19. Dec 30, 2015 at 11:00 AM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Hi-lifts are great, if you get one be sure to watch some videos and practice using it. They can also be very dangerous. If the one you pick up doesn't come with an extra wide base plate pick one up ASAP.

20. Dec 30, 2015 at 11:06 AM
    PoweredBySoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5
    But how practical are hi-lifts on stock trucks? Where would my lift points be? I don't have plate bumpers or true sliders.

Products Discussed in

To Top