1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to: A camper owner question?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mvega1969, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Jan 30, 2008 at 1:11 PM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.
    For those who currently have a camper installed on their Tacoma, How can I make the 12v lights installed in the camper to turn on (please suggest the best option):

1.- When you open the camper's main window (back), (I like this as the best)
    2.- When you turn on (switch moved to on) the inside cab light (the one that turns on when the doors are openned),
    3.- Wired directly to an always-power cable and use the light's switch to manually turn it on.
    4.- When the parking lights/headlights are on and manually turn on the camper's light. (this is the current one working on).

I hope someone can help me to get the best option and if possible HOW I can do it.

Regards.

2. Jan 30, 2008 at 3:40 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Do you already have lights? I didn't, so I bought a set of underbody LED tubes with a wireless remote switch. Less wiring, and I can turn them on/off as I walk toward or away from the truck.

If you already have them maybe you could run 12v constant to them, and ground through a pin switch that closes when you open the back window.

3. Jan 30, 2008 at 3:57 PM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    The camper came with two 12v lights that the installation guys hooked them to the parking lights, by doing this I HAVE to turn on these lights in order to turn on any of the two lights on the camper, BUT I have to turn them off before I start my driving an avoid problems when using my mirror.

I already saw a pin switch that I can use as you described, I also have the cable installed it from the battery all the way back to the camper for an extra 12v constant connector, my question is how these pin switches work, I mean how are they connected to the earth and power?

Regards.

4. Jan 30, 2008 at 4:08 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    I think you can wire one side to the ground on your lights (could wire them both to an always on 12v wire and leave them turned on). The base of the switch (unless it has 2 wire terminals) is what usually grounds them. Since the camper shell is probably fiberglass and not grounded to the truck you'll need to send a wire to ground. Like an eye connector around the base then wired to some place behind a tail light or the metal part at the end of the bed next to the tailgate.

5. Jan 31, 2008 at 7:03 AM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    Thanks PT, I will do it this way you recommended.

Regards.

6. Jan 31, 2008 at 7:26 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    You're welcome! You might even split the wires in 2 and connect together with some spade connectors so you can easily unplug all the wires if you want to remove the shell.

Products Discussed in

To Top