1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to Change a CV Axle on an 01-04 ADD Tacoma

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by JimBeam, Dec 15, 2008.

1. May 4, 2014 at 10:04 AM
    jmmanahan

jmmanahan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 4X4 V6
    None except aftermarket seats.
    Thanks for this great step by step process. I changed out my CV axle yesterday with no problems. Popped out of the diff just fine and snapped back in with one hammer blow. All good and no more ugly scraping noises from the front end.

2. Sep 3, 2014 at 1:08 PM
    jgb8743

jgb8743 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road SR5 4X4 Manual
    If one were to damage that thin metal lip that meets up to the oil seal in the process of prying out the shaft, is there a place or part number to replace it? I managed to mangle mine, and now the seal won't stop leaking no matter what. The only way I've found to replace it is to get a whole new shaft.

3. Mar 20, 2016 at 8:42 AM
    Trowbocop

Trowbocop Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5
    Volant Cold Air Intake, 3" JBA Catback Exhaust, JBA Headers, rock sliders, Kobalt toolbox, bedlined rocker panels, derped grill, rims and emblems, custom rear bumper, OME Nitrocharger Sport Suspension 881s & Dakars +aal, 265-75-16 duratracs, Herculined bed, weathertech digital cut floormats, cb & external speaker, dumped exhaust after axle, FourWheelCamper
    Sub'd, looking to do this soon. Nice write up!

4. Aug 13, 2016 at 6:18 PM
    c_mcnally

c_mcnally New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2001 White Tacoma 3.4 V6 4x4
    Great write up. I have a few "dumb" questions as I'm kind of a newb. I have everything taken apart and the new axels for both driver and passenger side.

Is there a difference between the axels? I can't see one, but I don't want to make a mistake.

When putting the axels back in, is there a proper position (top vs bottom) when putting them back in? My factory ones were round and the new ones are more of a triangle. I'm guessing no diff on this, but wanted to ask.

Should I put some axel grease on both ends of the axels when putting them back, or just the differential side?

My seals look good, but I feel like I should replace them just to be safe. There is a seal on the differential and on the wheel side right? Does anyone have the part numbers or suggestions on what to buy?

If I'm taking the seals out should I just replace the bearings too?

I follow directions well, I just don't have a ton experience to know what's right. Thanks for the help.

5. Aug 23, 2016 at 5:48 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma
    4 inch lift
    I wonder if this is whats wrong with my truck? So in reference to the 4 bolts that hold the hub piece to the lower control arm. I should be able to take that apart without messing with the struts?

To Top