1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to Change Front Brakes (Pads and Rotors)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LoadedTaco, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Sep 7, 2016 at 12:04 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    OEM Toyota brake pads come with grease package,new shims and used this on the caliper pins.[​IMG]

TacomaCZman likes this.
  2. Sep 7, 2016 at 12:21 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Not a bad price. Hopefully they used good steel but you don't really need a lot of pressure to compress calipers. I welded my own out of stainless steel bars and c-clamps more than 15 years ago and I still use it to this day. Looks similar to your link.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Sep 12, 2016 at 6:16 PM
    Wasson A

Wasson A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SR5
    3in Medium Duty OME 33in General Grabbers Pelfrey Front Plate Bumper/Weld-on Sliders Helton Hot Water Shower kit Icom 706-mkIIg uhf/vhf/hf etc...
    You sure? I installed a new set of pads on my '11 and they didnt come with the shims, or grease. Im having a bitch of a time getting my pads to stop squealing.

Ive pulled the pads off and cleaned them twice. Added grease to the slide pins, and antisqueal to the back of the pads. Im slowly losing my mind from the squeal.

Im wondering if it would be worth paying the $50 the dealership wants for the shims, or if there is something else that I can do. Saving the money would be best.

ttran076 likes this.
  4. Sep 13, 2016 at 7:04 AM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    I think some OEM pads do not come with shims or grease these are the pads that come with the truck from the factory when you buy these same pads they don't have the grease or new shims in the package. Toyota has another option for ceramic pads at a cheaper cost these are the ones I used on my truck and came with new shims,grease pack https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/oem-brake-pads-04465-az001-tm-34-11-w-free-ship.435172/ . When you use the other Toyota oem semi-metallic pad that came from the factory you have to reuse the old shims and your own grease. From what the Toyota instructions that came with my pads you apply the grease between the shim and the back of the brake pad and add a smear along the top and bottom metal backplate of the brake pad,none on the shim where it meets the caliper pistons. I also would use new caliper pins which are reasonable cost at Advanceauto parts or others, my pins were pretty gunked up and crusty which can also hang up the action and cause a drag on the brakes by not releasing, some people clean off the gunk and road crust with wire wheel drill attachment to get them smooth again.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    TacomaCZman likes this.
  5. Sep 13, 2016 at 7:16 AM
    Wasson A

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SR5
    3in Medium Duty OME 33in General Grabbers Pelfrey Front Plate Bumper/Weld-on Sliders Helton Hot Water Shower kit Icom 706-mkIIg uhf/vhf/hf etc...
    I think these are the pads that I ended up with. When I called the dealership, they said that there were only a specific set of pads that would fit my truck, and then they needed the VIN#. Of course when I called them back with the information, it was the $100 pads that they said would only fit.

On my squealing pads, do you think the shims would be worth a try, or would it be better to go to something else pad wise?

What was on there:
    EBC Sport Rotors
    EBC Green pads

Now:
    Same EBC Sport Rotors
    Toyota OEM metalic pads (no shims - werent in box)

6. Sep 13, 2016 at 7:21 AM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    yes, these are the OEM from the factory pads semi metallic, too bad you don't live closer I have the oem shims off my 2013 I took off im not using them there are actually 2 shims per brake pad side so 4 all together on one brake setup side with these. my new came with 1 shim.

7. Sep 13, 2016 at 7:24 AM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    if you can get your money back on those pads, see if the dealer can get you the Toyota brake pads I used should cost you a lot less these are ceramic and they do not dust at all, the bite is very similar to the semi metallic and don't sqeaul at all

TacomaCZman likes this.
  8. Sep 13, 2016 at 7:25 AM
    Wasson A

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SR5
    Im not sure if I can. Im willing to try but they have been on for maybe 600 miles.

9. Sep 13, 2016 at 7:27 AM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    yeah with 600 miles on them already, they probably wont exchange them

10. Sep 13, 2016 at 7:29 AM
    Wasson A

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SR5
    Yeah, I wouldnt think so. Thats why I was looking at the shims/other pads option. They bite great when using them, its just that squeal is making me nuts (more so than normal).

11. Sep 13, 2016 at 7:31 AM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    they have a slightly better bite then the ceramics I used but really not that much

12. Sep 14, 2016 at 10:00 AM
    TaylorU

TaylorU KC HiLiTES Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    ADS 2.5" coilovers, Light Racing UCAs, 2.125" rear ADS shocks, Raptor-Style Grille using Homertaco mesh and BAMF letters, MB 352 wheels, 285/75r16 Cooper ATPs, Mini D2S 3.0 HID Projectors retrofitted, KC Flex 20", KC Pro6 light bar, KC G4 LED fog lights, Pelfreybilt front bumper
    Hey everyone, I have serviced the brakes on my truck twice in the past with no problems. However, this time I will be replacing the rotors with new ones instead of resurfacing them. I am planning on going with this kit from PowerStop, but wanted to know if anyone had opinions on it prior to me purchasing it. http://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z16-kit/#y=2010&mk=TOYOTA&mo=TACOMA&ss=6 Lug Wheels

Also, I plan to replace the brake fluid while I am at it. Does anyone have a good DIY guide as this is something I have never attempted. I found this http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a1495/how-to-bleed-brakes/ online, but am unsure of how reliable it is for us.

Thanks!

TacomaCZman likes this.
  13. Sep 20, 2016 at 7:34 AM
    john_only

john_only Slick Products - Marketing

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2006 White Tacoma Trd Offroad
    Icon Suspension, Camburg UCAs, Deaver Springs, ARB bumper, Flippac on 6" bed.
    Super helpful, thanks! ill be doing that soon

14. Oct 23, 2016 at 5:39 AM
    sodak

sodak Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma
    Many thanks to the OP for this informative thread! It's very nice to be able change pads without cracking the hydraulics, I've always had to do that in the past. I haven't read every page, so I apologize in advance if this has been covered, but for anyone struggling with squeaky pads, you can buy the pads either with or without the shims. I always get new shims, and the grease that goes on the shims (and only the shims) is M77 Molykote. It's expensive, about $20 for a 2 oz jar, but it should last many years, you don't need to use very much. A small packet of M77 comes with the shims, but you can buy it on Amazon. I use it on my Hondas as well.

Thanks again!

TacomaCZman likes this.
  15. Nov 20, 2016 at 9:23 AM
    swainick13

swainick13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    N
    N.C.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD V6
    Subd for later

16. Nov 23, 2016 at 6:54 PM
    SliMbo4.0

SliMbo4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DCSB TRD offroad
    BP51, BAMF hangers, BruteForce HC, SCS, Vagabond Drifter
    I've never used that brand before but just remember any cross drilled rotor will have a higher chance of cracking from temperature shock. slotted are more durable cause they don't go all the way thru the rotor. not to say all cross drilled rotors will crack, but more susceptible.
    if you're mall crawlin probably not a big deal, but if you're doing trail runs thru water crossings I probably wouldn't.

17. Nov 28, 2016 at 5:24 PM
    thebeave

thebeave Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Pre-Runner 3.4L
    Many thanks to the write up, the video and the comments in this thread. The Chilton manual was pretty useless (not much detail), so finding this was a nice surprise. I replaced the rotors and pads in my 2000 Pre Runner this afternoon. Went pretty smooth except that the driver's side had some problems:

1) Instead of a single long wire clip to hold the two pins in place, the previous owner used two paper clips instead. They worked, I guess, but were severely corroded and ready to break. I put in a couple of cotter pins I had on hand.

2) The anti-rattle clip was broken, and was jamming on the upper pin so much that I couldn't pull the pin out initially. Once I got it out of the way, the pin came out easily. The pin now has some gouges on it thanks to that anti-rattle clip, so I think I will get new pins soon.

Brakes are working nice and smooth now. No more squealing as I back out of my driveway!! :bananadance:The true test will be when I brake going down a steep hill. Was getting some pretty severe pulsing in the brake pedal last time I did this. Hopefully the new rotors will have cured that problem.

18. Jan 3, 2017 at 9:07 AM
    Crash721

Crash721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    285/70/17 BFG KO2's 4" Maxtrac spindle lift kit. Caliraised 30" slim led bar
    Im having a problem on my 13'. I have had enough of this high pitched sequel when I am backing up and braking at the same time. I have taken the brakes apart and cannot find the problem. Please if anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. Its def the brakes on mine, ive even replaced the rotors. Ive noticed its mostly coming from the front passenger side. Has anyone found a solution to this issue? Im almost to the point where im going to tear off the squealer to see if that helps. SOOOOOOOO Damn annoying!!!

19. Jan 5, 2017 at 6:14 AM
    Zonktified

Zonktified Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    Perfect timing...thanks for the post! Good luck on your channel...keep posting Taco repairs and such and you should do fine.

20. Jan 5, 2017 at 6:17 AM
    Skrain

Skrain Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    2009 F.J. Cruiser
    Westin 9 LED Driving Lights.
    Good Timing! I'm having a friend that's a gearhead put my new Powerstop front pads and rotors on this weekend!

To Top