1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To: Change Your Climate Controls BLUE

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by flightcancled, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Jun 13, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled [OP] Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    NIGHT SHOTS COMING!!!

This took me 30 min to figure out and install so I would expect that as a reasonable time for you as well. This is really very simple and should be an easy little project. Do not attempt this if you don't have any experience soldering or aren't comfortable soldering parts on of your baby.

Materials:
    2 wide angle 12v LEDs- Wide angle is definately a plus here.
    2 1/4' flush mount LED holders from Radio Shack
    Soldering iron and solder
    Flat head+ Phillips Screw drivers

Here is a photo of the flush mounts, you may have these lying around from the cup-holder LED mod. To the right is one of the bulbs you are replacing

[​IMG]

If you are doing this you likely already know how to remove your climate controls. Just in case you forgot here are a set of good directions stolen from 007Tacoma.

Now tear the whole thing appart until you get to the board. Take care when removing the speed selector, there is a little spring loaded ball you don't want to loose.

You will see that there are 4 lights, two small (2mm?) leds and 2 bigger lights on brown bases. The leds go to the buttons, swapping these is a no-brainer.

Here is a crappy photo, the light on the left has been replaced already.

[​IMG]

To remove the two backlights is simple, they pop out with a 1/4 twist. Replace them with the LED mounts by pushing them in from the front and insert the LEDs from the back.

Bend the LED leads as flat as you can and solder them into the connections to the old lights as shown. Again, not a great pic, camera was almost dead.

[​IMG]

Check that they are working by plugging the harness back into the truck and then reassemble.

Enjoy.

2. Jun 13, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    joshua32

joshua32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Tyler, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5
    What about the painted on orange film on the controls? Even though you changed the incandescent bulb won't it still light up orange?

3. Jun 13, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    flightcancled

Member:
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Nope this came from another member, derrick I think, who made this work. The orange will dim the lights, but they will still be blue if they are two dark for you then just drill a 1/4" hole and add an LED as needed.

Edit: here is the photo that got me started.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/66720

4. Jun 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    ....skeptical, still think it shows orange unless I am missing something?

Pictures will help

5. Jun 13, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    flightcancled

Member:
    [​IMG]

Not super bright, also not orange, I might add a few more LEDs in if I get bold enough.

6. Jun 13, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    redraider

redraider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Antonio,TX
    hmmm, like them to be a little brighter but they're definitely not orange good job, what about the clock?

7. Jun 13, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    doesnt even look like the are lit?! have any better shots?

8. Jun 14, 2010 at 3:16 AM
    flightcancled

Member:
    I am lacking the materials at the moment to do the clock. I forgot to grab my dremmel whenI left for the summer. The way that is done is by using a polishing wheel to remove the organge paint from the back then applying a blue filter.

Their lit, just dim. I'm a bit dissapointed, but I have time today to try and get them brighter. As said though, one solution would be to find places to drill into the board to mount more LEDs. The stock location is between the tops of the dials, which makes no sense and isn't ideal.

9. Jun 20, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    flightcancled

Member:
    Finally had a few hours to play with this more to try and amplify light output

I started by taking the more is more approach and blasted the hell out of the display by dramaticly increasing the amount of light. This was done by adding more LEDs and reinstalling the stock bulbs with a coat of blue sharpie.

Here is what the board looks like now:

[​IMG]

Popped it back together for a test run and got this:

[​IMG]

:puke:

Now matter how much blue light I am still getting stuck on the orange in the plastic.

New thought- What would happen if I sharpied the back of all the parts I want blue?

[​IMG]

Now we are getting somewhere!!!

I need to find a fine blue sharpie and then the next time I get a chance I think I can finish the mod. You can tell exactly how much I was able to reach in 5 min with the monster sharpie I had at hand.

I would be really interested to see if all it would take is someone hitting the backs with a sharpie to get the color change. Anyone? Its totally reverseable if you don't like the results.

10. Jun 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    very good work!

11. Jun 21, 2010 at 4:56 AM
    flightcancled

Member:
    Thanks!

LEDs are on the way to change the button color, looks like this is how it will stay until I am ready to drop them in. Till then I have to find a fine sharpie...

12. Jun 21, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    OK I have custom red arrays in mine. I will have to make some custom blue arrays tomorrow and see how it turns out. I also already have the LEDs for the buttons.

Once i get mine done.. I will research a good way to make it reproducable and will start offering the service.

13. Jun 21, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    do you have any pics of the red ones? also w/ the red LEDs in there for the buttons?

14. Jun 22, 2010 at 4:10 AM
    flightcancled

Member:
    Think for red its just a matter of adding red light since that is close enough to orange.

15. Jun 22, 2010 at 6:05 AM
    poppasmurf009

poppasmurf009 Active Member

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    Stock 09 Access Cab V6 4x4
    In case anyone is wondering why they don't turn out orange because of the orange tint on the plastics, it is because LEDs only produce one frequency of light. The tinting on the plastic allows orange to pass but dims other colors. Since the LEDs are only producing blue, there's no orange light to pass and the blue is dimmed.

16. Jun 22, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    flightcancled

Member:
    Right, thus we are dramacily increasing the amount of light being blasted against the back of the display (to the verge of being blinding) to get an OEM amount of light out the transperent plastic.

17. Jul 7, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    MadeInMaine

MadeInMaine MadeInMaine

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Biloxi, MS
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    Im gonna have to give this a go on my dash....

18. Jul 7, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Very nice! Subscribed

19. Jul 7, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    I messed around a bit with this and didnt like how dim it was... I will see what else i can come up with when i have the time.

Products Discussed in

To Top