1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to Check AT Fluid Level (4 cyl)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mugu07taco, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Oct 29, 2010 at 1:20 AM
    mugu07taco

mugu07taco [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello,

I have a 07 Tacoma with a 4 cylinder engine w/automatic transmission.

After taking truck to Midas for an oil change (usually do myself but have been living in apartments and unable) I checked the oil level since I have trust issues and sure enough they over filled. So not being able to wait until they open at 7:30 am because the wife and I are traveling down south at 6:00 am I decided to drain some, so I took what I had and did it or at least I thought I did.

I made the mistake of draining some of the AT fluid about .5 qt. How do I check the tranny for proper fluid level? My owner’s manual does not give instructions. Please help!

I will have to drive with it that way but want to get the tranny back to the proper level ASAP. Good thing I read some of the posts on 2nd gen AT to discover they use syn fluid because I would have used something else (cheap stuff).

Does the fluid have to be Toyota or will any syn fluid work? If any syn fluid will work what are the specs? i.e. Dexron or Mercury....

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Oct 29, 2010 at 1:44 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I know 2nd generation v6s have a sealed transmission (not sure how similar the two are), meaning you need special equipment to fill/check the levels of tranny fluid. Ive heard of one person being able to do it themselves using some equipment, but most take it to the dealership.

Products Discussed in

To Top