1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To: Constantly powered under-dash switched circuit

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by nilepoc, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Jul 17, 2016 at 5:13 PM
    nilepoc

nilepoc [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR AC
    TRD rims, spacer leveling
    Hey there, I will consider this to be my introduction to the forum. I purchased my Tacoma 5 days ago and love it. I cannot wait to bolt more crap to it. With that in mind I searched the forum for topics like this one. I found this thread https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/always-on-12v-power-outlet-mod-3rd-gen.432620/#post-12477343 but did not feel that my soldering skills would be up to par for that job. Additionally it would place my constant power really far from the dash cam. What follows is my solution to the problem of an always on switchable circuit, location and wiring. I hope it is helpful.

So today I decided to install my dash cam. I like for it to be constantly powered so that it may one day capture the face of anyone messing with my truck while parked.

First order of business was to find a constantly powered fuse spot under the dash. Luckily there is one open fuse slot and it is constantly powered. It is in the bottom left of the sticker. And is the first slot from the front on the right as you reach under the dash.

I wanted to also be able to switch this circuit off easily. In my old FJ I had the battery go dead when I was away for a trip to Ecuador. I had forgotten to unplug the dash cam circuit when I left. So this one has a switch in it which will be affixed to the left side of the fuse block. Note the black wire is ground and will be attached to the fuse block mounting nut.

Toyota was nice enough to put a perfectly sized hole in the ODB bracket. So I put my 12v receptacle in it and secured it with a zip tie. Be sure to insulate your wire really well as there are many sharp corners in this area.

I then ran the power wire up the A pillar under the weather stripping and headliner to the mirror area. Here is the rexing dash cam in its installed position.

Here is an upskirt shot of the entire install under the dash.

And just because here is my new truck.

Btw while looking under the hood I found this.

Anyone know what that white wire is on the headlight wire bundle?

While we are at it. Anyone know what the spare plug in this photo goes to when in use? It is currently just stuffed into a keeper slot in the panel.
    Addendum -----> This is the wiring for a bed light according to this thread. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-cab-cargo-light-switch.436440/#post-12743485

I hope this helped someone out in the quest to provide power to the many electronics that can be added to the Tacoma.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  2. Jul 17, 2016 at 5:30 PM
    Tectonic

Tectonic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCSB 4wd
    Bilstein 5100 all around OME 884 Wheelers 1.5" 3 leaf progressive aal 255/75r17 Hankook Dynapro ATM ARE camper shell Hella Sharptones (4)
    Welcome bud! Nice post. Is the white wire a ground? It appears to be bolted up like one

3. Jul 17, 2016 at 5:32 PM
    nilepoc

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR AC
    There is a ground in the photo, but I am referring to the bundle under the black bundle.

Tectonic[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jul 17, 2016 at 5:42 PM
    double dee

double dee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Nice. I plan to add a dash cam in the next couple weeks. Good to know what fuse slot I should use.

shakerhood and nilepoc[OP] like this.
  5. Jul 17, 2016 at 6:56 PM
    aweddle14

aweddle14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 Quicksand DCSB SR5

Nice Writup! Can you share which dash am you are running and how it's worked for you? I'm in AZ and out heat has killed many I've tried...

6. Jul 17, 2016 at 7:02 PM
    nilepoc

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR AC
    I have a Rexing V1

https://www.amazon.com/Rexing-Dashb...id=1468807163&sr=8-2&keywords=rexing+dash+cam

So far I have had no problems with it. I live in NM and while we do not have the heat you do, it may be a good one to try. I was previously using it in my FJ.

7. Jul 17, 2016 at 11:12 PM
    Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Icon Suspension with CDCV, SPC Light Racing UCAs, Wheeler's 3 Leaf AAL, Wheeler's Superbumps, sPod SE BAMF Sliders, All-Pro Skids, AFE Drop in filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, RCI Aluminum LCA Skids, BAMF Bed Brackets, 4X Innovations Rear Bumper, FX-R Retrofit Headlights with Philips 4300k, Custom Nestah Edition Firestik AM/FM Antenna, Famous Fab Hood brackets, FrontRunner SlimLine 2 Roof Rack, Mob Town Offroad tailgate reinforcement plate, Ram A pillar mount, Anti-Dark hood lights, Lots of LED lights,
    Nice write up. How visible is the Dash cam from outside the windshield?

8. Jul 17, 2016 at 11:26 PM
    nilepoc

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR AC
    Not that visible. Sorry for the crappy photo. It could be mounted even higher making it less visible. I decided on this position because the screen is fully blocked and will not blind me at night should it light up.

9. Jul 17, 2016 at 11:44 PM
    Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Icon Suspension with CDCV, SPC Light Racing UCAs, Wheeler's 3 Leaf AAL, Wheeler's Superbumps, sPod SE BAMF Sliders, All-Pro Skids, AFE Drop in filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, RCI Aluminum LCA Skids, BAMF Bed Brackets, 4X Innovations Rear Bumper, FX-R Retrofit Headlights with Philips 4300k, Custom Nestah Edition Firestik AM/FM Antenna, Famous Fab Hood brackets, FrontRunner SlimLine 2 Roof Rack, Mob Town Offroad tailgate reinforcement plate, Ram A pillar mount, Anti-Dark hood lights, Lots of LED lights,
    Very stealthy. I bought a Rexing v1 on Prime Day for $80. I can't wait to install it.

10. Jul 17, 2016 at 11:45 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I have a GoPro dash cam and have wanted to do this .... thanks for the DIY article.

11. Jul 18, 2016 at 3:18 AM
    vinkon235

vinkon235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    vince
    steubenville oh
    Vehicle:
    2016 white tacoma trdor access cab
    opt7 cree series fog lights busman aux relay box viair 450c oba opt7 fluxbeam led headlights
    Nice write up and welcome

12. Jul 27, 2016 at 11:34 AM
    hopz

hopz Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport DCLB
    Thanks for the write up! I am planning on getting one of the Rexing v1 too and installing it in the same spot. The only difference is I want it to turn on and off with the truck. I travel a lot so my truck is turned off for long lengths of time.

Would you happen to know the easiest way to wire it? It will be my first time hard wiring anything in a car/truck.

Thanks!

13. Jul 31, 2016 at 3:56 PM
    nilepoc

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR AC
    You can use he exact same technique omitting the switch and using the add A circuit in another location. One that is cycled with the ignition. You wilol need to experiment to find one.

14. Aug 26, 2016 at 10:20 AM
    Wavey88

Wavey88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Third Gen
    Used the same fuse location as OP for the constant power, too easy.. My setup is the Blackvue DR650 2CH front and rear camera with power magic pro.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Tectonic likes this.
  15. Dec 13, 2016 at 2:35 PM
    Mr-Paul

Mr-Paul Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2017 Qucksand Tacoma SR5 4x4 V6 Access-Cab
    Nice project. Thanks for the write-up.

16. Feb 14, 2017 at 6:10 PM
    hightechcoonass

hightechcoonass Living the dream

Member:
    First Name:
    Ritchie
    land of the swamps LA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4 super white
    TRD Offroad wheels and decal set.
    Nice find "AM1" fuse constant on. All of my trucks I add a SAE plug power port. Once I have a 12 VDC power plug installed, I use my SAE / USB adapter between my truck, motorcycle, RV, and my boat. I have a few of the sae / usb adapters... the battery tender one is the only one that ALWAYS work with my POS IPHONE.

Remember... Always wire the positive to the covered probe (insulated from shorting to frame of truck).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    also cool as shit....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  17. Feb 23, 2017 at 9:52 AM
    DeanTacoma

DeanTacoma Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Off-Road
    Been looking for these. Great Idea!

18. Aug 30, 2017 at 4:24 AM
    Canadianguy91

Canadianguy91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Krown undercoating, Protect a plate, blindspot mirrors, Reese stainless steel towing ball, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Tufskinz tailgate letter inserts, Console organiser, Tinted windows, LED interiors, Bed lights, Hood lights, Black Canadian flag decal (@bfeth), Oem bed mat, WeatherTech floor liners, Arctic Claw XSI tires, Recovery Shackle, Ultimate LED turn signals V3 @mesojdm, OEM TRD Off-Road tow hook, Bilstein 5100's with ARB's Old Man Emu 2887 coils, ICON progressive add a leaf, General Grabber ATX tires, Fuel ripper rims, Auxbeam F-16 H11 Led headlights, Borla S-type catback exhaust with black tip, custom powertray, vinyl badge inlays, (@rrentrop), Rear diff breather mod, Redarc trailer break controller https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN7m1pc6AA
    looks good. how did you get your cover for the pannel back on?

19. Aug 30, 2017 at 6:27 AM
    trdsupreme

trdsupreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCLB Silver Sky
    it stays off unfortunately.

20. Sep 26, 2018 at 2:00 PM
    Kpatt9

Kpatt9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kade
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB
    Reviving an old thread but how long do you think you can go without starting the truck before you start to hurt the battery... 4/6 hrs?

Products Discussed in

To Top