1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to deal with UPS BS or shipping to Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by kryten, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    kryten

kryten [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    I'm afraid this is mostly just a rant, but I just cannot stand dealing with UPS. This is the first time I broke down and got a package shipped from the States throught UPS since 2006 as I swore then I will never use them again. In 2006 they charged me $40 for customs fees etc for a $35 used computer mainboard from ebay.

This time I bought an AMP bed extender mounting kit for the total of $25USD and $15shipping. Now I have to pay $20 to UPS for customs fees and other BS. For what? Its a piece of metal that probably fits in a bubble envelope.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I guess I'm out of luck and have to pay that $20, but does someone has any insight of how they calculate their fees? Based on what? I always try using USPS as a first choice and even DHL or Purolator are usually reasonable. How are they always 5x more expensive? I bet if it went with USPS I would not have to pay a cent. Sorry just had to vent, this is such a rip off. :frusty:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    grant99

grant99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, ON
    Vehicle:
    05 4DR TRD Sport 6SPD
    gotta remember their slogan "take it in the brown" so bend over when you use them. :D

I actually got a cheque back from them earlier this year after they dropped their brokerage from $40 to $20, I almost passed out! haha

you can check you local border for different brokerage companies but unfortunately most people like to ship ups and to the best of my knowledge then you get stuck with them running it across the border

3. Mar 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    tacomik

tacomik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    E. kootenays,BC
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma TRD
    ARB front bumper,AllPro rear bumper,OME lift,Warn,Lightforce,Weathertech,tint,DSP,piaa,oem roof-rack,canopy,CBI rockrails,Viair
    They tried charging me $74.00 brokerage and GST on a $75.00 knife that I prepaid shipping for ! I wrote a cheque and then put a stop payment as soon as I got home, They sent a couple of letters and then phoned, I told them to take me to court, haven't heard anything since, been 4 years now. I told them I would have paid a reasonable amount, but they wouldn't budge...Fuck em !

4. Mar 23, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    kryten

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Many retailers in the states ship UPS only and will not care to ship with different curier upon polite request. I usually decide not to get the product or find a place that will ship USPS. I almost thought I'm overreacting for the past six years since my last experience, but now I see I wasn't at all. I have been avoiding UPS for years while I was still getting stuff from states. If they were reasonable all those shippments could have been throught them, not to mention the times when I just didnt get the item based on assumption of butt hurt ripoff if I do. But this time I'm DONE!!

I will pay it as I'm already $40 into it ($25 + $15 shipping) but will try to argue or phone and see where they got their $20 from. Done that in 2006, did not lead anywhere. Thanks UPS. :crazy:

Atleast they tried to deliver it three times, while I wasn't at home. They tried around 10am everytime, well I have a job. Too bad for the driver though.

Tacomic, $74? :eek: :facepalm:Thats absolutely ridiculous.

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html:notsure:

5. Mar 23, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Yep , I hate their hidden fees

6. Mar 23, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Depending on where your located in Alberta, i would just drive across and pick it up and just pay the tax at the border. Some places will ship for free in the 48 states.

7. Mar 23, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    kryten

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    I live 5 hours away, so not an option for me.

8. Mar 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    LMR

LMR GO JETS GO

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    In The True North
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma DCSB TRD
    Shorty antenna, Weathertech digital fit, tonneau cover
    Best bet is to drive to the closest parcel service in the States and pay duty/GST at the border. That's if you live near the US border. UPS is a joke with their brokerage fees. I refuse to give those clowns any business.

9. Mar 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    LMR

LMR GO JETS GO

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    In The True North
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma DCSB TRD
    Shorty antenna, Weathertech digital fit, tonneau cover
    oops I was late on that last post

10. Mar 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    Use this site to estimate what something shipped from US will cost to your door:

http://www.thefinalcost.com/

You can also clear your own packages that are delivered by UPS. It's only viable if you're within close proximity to the Canada Border Services agency. There's tutorials out there on how to do it yourself. Here's one of them

http://trueler.com/2010/11/24/self-clear-shipment-cbsa-avoid-ups-brokerage-fee/

Best bet is to avoid UPS all together if possible. If it's not an option for the US supplier to use someone other than UPS, I look elsewhere. F them and their ridiculous brokerage fees.

11. Mar 23, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    kryten

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I will look at that site for estimates in the future.

I live too far from border to do that, but that info may come in handy for others here.

I've been avoiding UPS for years until now. Now I'm 100% done with those f-ers. :brianr:

Edit: According to that website posted above, I was supposed to pay $30.29 on a $24.25 item with $16.56 shipping. I guess I'm ahead of the game then lol

12. Mar 23, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.

Products Discussed in

To Top