1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To Drive a Manual Transmission Properly?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by dysfunctnlretard, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Dec 30, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Im trying to figure out how to "properly" drive a stick shift and my question basically narrows down to: Can I have the clutch engaged halfway and the gas as well (halfway too)?

Say Im driving on a freeway where theres a butt load of traffic; its pretty much a dead stop and I move a little every 30 seconds. If Im stopped, and traffic moves forward, I dont wanna fully let go of the clutch pedal and use the gas because its too much speed and theres too much traffic. So, could I release the clutch halfway and give it gas a little so I get a more controlled speed and acceleration movement without damaging any part of the driveline? If not, WTF do I do?

2. Dec 30, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    yes, but the best method here is the give yourself lots of space and keep the clutch fully engaged to avoid excessive wear. There are many mays to drive a manual depending on the situation at hand. The main goal is to drive it as smoothly as an auto :thumbsup:

3. Dec 30, 2009 at 9:25 AM
    FirstCohort

FirstCohort Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DC LB 4x4 BSP
    WeatherTech Vent visors, access soft roll-up bed cover, factory side steps, factory bed mat, weathertech floorliner fore and aft, tinted front windows- State legal 50% : (
    I have always fully engaged the clutch to the floor. With several people driving my manual vehicles it was best if everyone used this method. I have driven manuals that were owned by someone that didn't adhere to this practice and they had clutch problems.

4. Dec 30, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Indeed, you don't want to ride the clutch. I generally end up clutching out quickly to get the truck rolling, and then going back to neutral and coasting. Not sure if this is the right thing to do, or if constantly getting into gear and out again is going to break something, but it seems to work OK.

5. Dec 30, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    That's what I usually try to do, but then when you leave space between yourself and the vehicle in front of you, even just a carlength, some moron butts himself into that space. usually without blinker or courtesy wave either.

6. Dec 30, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    blackxpress

blackxpress Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Carlisle, OH
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 2WD Xcab
    What you're describing is called "riding the clutch." A very bad habit that will significantly shorten the life of your clutch if you do it very much. What I do is let the clutch out just slow enough to keep the motor from stalling and then let it crawl along at idle until I have to stop again. It won't stall in 1st gear as long as it's moving.

7. Dec 30, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    having the clutch only partially engaged will cause the clutch to slip. a little slipping here and there is ok. lots of slipping of the clutch will cause the clutch to slip on its own.

At lower rpms, the slipping isn't as hard on the clutch, but still not the ideal method.

Unfortunately that's one of the down sides of a manual trans.. stop and go traffic. No real easy way to get through it.

8. Dec 30, 2009 at 9:42 AM
    i love tacos

i love tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner TRD
    Bull Bar, Hella Lights, AiRaid cold air intake
    Technically, yes you can but with a car or truck you have a dry clutch. If you partially disengage the clutch you can burn the clutch. It would have to be excessive though.

Have I done it? Yes. I never had clutch problems.
    On a motorcycle you can do this because they have a wet clutch. Meaning the clutch is bathed in oil so it won't burn. You could slip the clutch all day long.

9. Dec 30, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    TacoOwner?

TacoOwner? Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Camas/Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Double Cab 6M
    Anti-thief tailgate, anytime rear-view camera, anytime locker mod
    x2

10. Dec 30, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    X3

11. Dec 30, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    rclangelan

rclangelan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Sykesville, MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DblCb Baja Ed. (Black)
    TRD Front Skid Plate, Tacoma All-Weather Mats, BFG AT KOs (265/70/16)
    When crawling in heavy traffic, I tend to leave it in neutral as much as possible. This works even better in downhills. This way im not adding any unnecessary wear and tear to the clutch components. Then when it's time to move, I put it in gear and creep forward by slowly releasing the clutch, and usually don't even have to apply the gas at all. If you space it right, you can just let 1st gear creep you along without problem.

12. Dec 30, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    matthew5olson

matthew5olson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 ext cab 3.4L 5spd 4x4 sr5
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
    Not helpful to the OP but if I'm ever in stop and go traffic like that I put it in 4 LO and let it crawl me along in 1st gear. I just leave a bunch of room in front of me. Since its a truck I don't get as many angry people.

13. Dec 30, 2009 at 11:52 PM
    ScottyB

ScottyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner TRD V6
    Bilstein 5100's
    As stated riding the clutch is bad. My mom used to do that with the car my parents had when I was a kid and her clutch would go out in 10k miles. After that my dad bought an automatic. You really need to only use the clutch pedal as you shift and not ride it. Changing clutches is a pain in the ass. Paying to do it is more expensive than something you want to do as regular maintenance. Driving a stick in stop and go traffic regularly is a bitch. You're going to have to get used to using that clutch pedal hundreds of times if you sit in stop and go traffic. You don't have to worry about damaging anything else in the driveline though if you do decide to ride the clutch.

14. Dec 31, 2009 at 8:47 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    All good advise here. The less you use the clutch the better. Put it in first and leave plenty of space and just crawl. Do not ride the clutch! My last Yota was a 88 4runner with a stick and in the 350,000 miles I put on it I never had a clutch issue. Try to get in the habit of useing it as little as possible.

Products Discussed in

To Top