1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to: drop, clean, and reinstall the 2nd Gen transmission pan and filter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hook78, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Aug 11, 2021 at 6:23 PM
    BlkDakDave

BlkDakDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:
    07 AC PreRunner TRD/Off Road
    @Hook78 awesome "tutorial" on how to perform a routine maintenance on our trucks. Thanks for the write up that should inspire others to do this task themselves.

VE7OSR, tacoman45 and Hook78[OP] like this.
  2. Aug 11, 2021 at 6:40 PM
    Hook78

Hook78 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon RXT
    Glad it was helpful!

3. Aug 11, 2021 at 7:03 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Thanks Hook78
    Fantastic write up
    I have been trying to convince the boys to service their transmissions this way since I joined Tacoma World back in 2011.

If you guys scrolled through hooks write up and noticed the sludge on the magnets and sludge in some of these transmission pans , well thats the stuff you risk flushing through your valve body when you flush a transmission without removing the pan first .
    This is critical if your pan has never been off .

Do you know what the bottom of your pan looks like ?

Does the Tacoma World member who just flushed his transmission know what the bottom of your pan looks like because you guys have the same mileage ?

You cant base your opinion on how to service your transmission based on what the other guy did with their truck at the same mileage . It just doesnt work that way .

Take the pan off to be sure

THE PICTURE ABOVE IS A PEFECT EXAMPLE OF WHY YOU SHOULD NOT FLUSH WITHOUT REMOVING YOUR PAN FIRST . DONT BE THIS GUY . THERE ARE TOO MANY GUYS AT TACOMA WORLD MAKING THIS MISTAKE .
    THE TRANSMISSION WORKS SO I AM JUST GONNA FLUSH IT !

WHY ARE WE REMOVING THE PAN ?
    When you introduce new transmission fluid with " SUPER DETERGENTS " into a dirty pan , the detergents in the new fluid will lift that junk rite off the pan and magnets . When the junk lifts ,it goes through the hydraulic circuits acting like sand paper on your " all aluminum transmission " .Those particles on the magnets are steel and the particles dont play well with your " all aluminum valve body ".

Those particles plug up your shift solenoids . A solenoid from Toyota is $400 bucks and your pan will have to come off to change it

Those particles plug up the shift valves behind your solenoids . Now you have to remove the pan and drop your valve body . Thats over $1000 bucks to have perfomed at a transmission shop . Toyota dealerships dont drop valve bodies to free up stuck valves . They will just quote you for a new transmission

Those particles block cooling passages in your internal radiator cooler, then your trans starts to overheat . Now you have to replace the radiator $$$$$$$

Most of you wont know there is an issue until its too late because this computer controlled transmission compensates for wearing internal components .

I dont listen to Toyota , I listen to the guys who built your transmission ...Aisn Seiki say to change your fluid every 30k.

Take the pan off when you service these transmissions please and thanks .

Taking the pan off involves more work than a flush ? ...Yes

Is removing the pan the proper way to service a transmission ?
    Yes ,removing the pan is a much more thorough service and 10000000 times safer than just flushing .

When you remove the pan , you get a baseline on the internal condition of the transmission and how long its going to last .

You are not doing yourself any favors by flushing a transmission with a bunch of crap in the bottom of the pan . The pan , magnets and filter should always be cleaned before you flush the converter , cooling system and hydraulic circuits

Do you mind if I add your write up to my transmission write up :fingerscrossed: ? https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...th-pics-for-second-gen-4-liter-trucks.289913/

Now we need a 3rd gen member to do a write up using the same procedure Hook performed

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  4. Aug 11, 2021 at 7:10 PM
    Hook78

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Holy cow, I was just looking at your transmission thread, heck of a resource. Much of that over my skill level. You’re more than welcome to link this thread, I’m honored!

gearcruncher[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Aug 11, 2021 at 7:31 PM
    BlkDakDave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:

Exactly why I did not do a flush on my truck.

6. Aug 11, 2021 at 7:54 PM
    FCdrifter

FCdrifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've heard conflicting opinions on whether or not to drain and fill the fluid on a high mileage truck that has never had it done. What are your thoughts? I've heard numerous accounts of people who have flushed their transmission for the first time at 200k or whatever then later had issues with it. My truck has 203k on it and I know it's never been done.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  7. Aug 11, 2021 at 8:24 PM
    BlkDakDave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:
    This from post #63 above as posted by @gearcruncher

"the sludge on the magnets and sludge in some of these transmission pans , well thats the stuff you risk flushing through your valve body when you flush a transmission without removing the pan first .
    When you introduce new transmission fluid with super detergents into a dirty pan , the detergents in the new fluid can lift that junk off the pan and magnets . When the junk lifts ,it goes through the hydraulic circuits acting like sand paper on your all aluminum transmission .
    Most of you wont know there is an issue until its too late."

Check out his thread on the subject.

And actually if you don't have any problems with your AT at your mileage, you may just want to leave it be.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    gearcruncher likes this.
  8. Aug 11, 2021 at 8:50 PM
    FCdrifter

FCdrifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not sure how I missed that but thanks. I'll probably just drain and fill the fluid and replace the filter. I generally like to change all the fluids out when I get a new vehicle but hearing horror stories about high mileage transmission fluid changes had me weary of doing it.

9. Aug 12, 2021 at 5:29 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    Got my ATF analysis back from Blackstone Labs a few days ago. Figured Id share it here for what its worth. As I noted before this was my first pan flush, just over 90k on the original fluid. Had a decent amount of gunk on the magnets and a few small particles in the old filter. I wheel a decent amount, but overall Id say Im fairly 'easy' on the trans and try to drive in a manner that keeps the temps low (torque converter locked up as much as possible) when on the highway. So I feel good about doing this service at 90k. Going to do a D&F with each oil change over the next year to continue to flush the factory fluid out.

upload_2021-8-12_8-25-34.jpg

Rob MacRuger and hoffengineering like this.
  10. Aug 12, 2021 at 6:40 AM
    Hook78

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Thanks for posting that info, interesting. What does Blckstone mean by average 21,000 mile intervals for the tranny?

So basically you had some elevated iron, copper and zinc leftover from the initial break in. Great to hear that you changed out just when the viscosity was starting to drop.

11. Aug 12, 2021 at 6:48 AM
    kwanjangnihm

kwanjangnihm Timeout Terminator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD SP PR
    "If it ain't a longbed it ain't shit! :)

12. Aug 12, 2021 at 6:51 AM
    tacoman45

tacoman45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR DCSB - MGM
    It might be the Aisin specified change interval, although that seems quite low. I would expect 30k min to match Toyota’s recommendation

13. Aug 12, 2021 at 7:10 AM
    Hook78

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Yeah pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. Maybe it’s a number that comes from a database pulled directly from manufacturer recommendations, regardless of what vehicle they’re installed on.

14. Aug 12, 2021 at 7:11 AM
    SR-71A

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    Was actually wondering the same thing myself. Seems like a very low average, even for the regulars here on TW :D

I just sent them an email out of curiosity.
    Dont think Toyota has a recommended interval on these, since they say its a 'lifetime' fluid. They do reference changing the gear oil in a manual trans every 30k if you've been towing.

15. Aug 12, 2021 at 7:14 AM
    tacoman45

tacoman45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR DCSB - MGM
    Ah good point. I suppose it is a “lifetime fluid” per Toyota. I just woke up dudes, just need some coffee in me haha

16. Aug 17, 2021 at 8:07 AM
    SR-71A

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Blackstone got back to me last week. Apparently they have one customer who has changed ATF 19 times over 200k miles (and sent in a sample every time). So he skewed the results a bit

Now we take bets on which member here is doing that haha

RedDemolisher and tacoman45 like this.
  17. Aug 17, 2021 at 8:50 AM
    Hook78

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    That’s an interval of about 10,500 miles…just saying…

Must be some guy who’s towing a 10K trailer across the country three times a year…

SR-71A[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Aug 20, 2021 at 1:32 PM
    kwanjangnihm

kwanjangnihm Timeout Terminator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD SP PR
    "If it ain't a longbed it ain't shit! :)
    160K Update!

Just did my 3rd drain & fill after completing the drop/drain/strainer a few weeks ago! Wanted to share the progression. Transmission is performing great! Many thanks to the OP and all who have contributed to this awesome thread!

IMG_6306.jpg

kbecerra, gearcruncher and Hook78[OP] like this.
  19. Apr 18, 2022 at 1:51 PM
    Alexfiggy

Alexfiggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    Trd off road
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. May 17, 2022 at 2:36 PM
    PhxRising85

PhxRising85 AMSOIL Dealer

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Surprise, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 2WD LB Tacoma
    Fox 2.0 Suspension, Diode Dynamics Driving Lights, AMSOIL
    I'm a firm believer in changing your transmission fluid regardless of age and mileage. Yes, there is an inherant risk with doing that but at the same time the fluid that is in there is worn, heat cycled and has lost its ability to filter out any metal particles. The transmission hands down gets the most wear out of any component on a vehicle and usually gets serviced the least.
    Even though I'm an AMSOIL Dealer there are lots of great Transmission fluid available I just prefer AMSOIL because they are one of the few companies that share their data to an extent to show how well their product holds up. I like to service or do a drain and fill every 30K depending on driving habits and if you tow or drive a lot in stop n go traffic.

I'm running the signature series trans fluid in both my 08 V6 Tacoma and 06 V6 RAV4. My girlfriends 2016 Ford Fusion is also using AMSOIL for Transfluid as well. She had just shy of 85K on hers before I did a drain and fill on hers. Her Trans fluid was very dark and needed to be changed. Thank You to Gearcruncher for sharing a massive wealth of information.

Doghouse61 and gearcruncher like this.
To Top