1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to: Front shock/spring removal

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by chris4x4, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Mar 28, 2009 at 5:38 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Removing the front shocks/springs on the second gen Tacoma is a pretty easy task. You will need a small assortment of basic hand tools.
    Hammer
    Metric sockets (1/4" & 3/8"): 17mm, 19mm, 14mm
    3/8" ratchet wrench
    1/4" ratchet wrench
    14mm ratcheting open/box wrench
    19mm open wrench
    Needle nose pliers.

Torque for the 3 top nuts is: 47 ft-lbs
    Lower shock bolt/nut: 61 ft-lbs
    Sway bar nut: 52 ft-lbs

First, jack up the front of the truck and remove both front tires:

[​IMG]

Then, remove the 17mm swaybar end link:

[​IMG]

Then, remove the 19mm castle nut holding the upper ball joint to the spindle. You will need to use the needle nose pliers to remove the retaining wire. Once this is removed, wire or zip tie the spindle so as to not let it pull or put tension on the brake lines:

[​IMG]

Then, you want to remove the 3 14mm nuts on the top plate. DO NOT REMOVE THE CENTER NUT.

[​IMG]

Then, remove the 19mm lower shock mount bolt, and nut. You may need to tap this bolt out, once the nut is removed:

[​IMG]

Then, Remove the shock/spring assembly:

[​IMG]

Reinstall the lift or coilover of your choice in the reverse order.
    :)

I accidentaly deleted the pics, so until I can get new ones use these links:

2. Mar 28, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    badass buddy!

good write up.

having a shindig w/o me though...thats harsh.

3. Mar 28, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Sorry, Buddy. I thought you were working? :( You would have enjoyed it. Matt almost had to stop me from beating a "Tech" at Pep boys....maybe He'll chime in and tell the story. :D

gregzz likes this.
  4. Mar 28, 2009 at 5:49 PM
    tacoma08MZ

tacoma08MZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4
    tinted head/tail lights-blacked out badges-3 inch tuff country lift 33 inch nittos-black steelies custom spare bed mount-hilift-weathertechs-kenwood dnx5120 dvdnav headunit-remote start-painted grille surround-fog lights-grillcraft black mesh grille
    Wow, thats way easier than i thought it would be! Ill be doin this by myself when i throw out the spacer lift, thanks chris!

5. Mar 28, 2009 at 5:49 PM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    Damn Brian I thought that was your truck for a minute. thought you got some new toys:D

6. Mar 28, 2009 at 5:49 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Looking good! Good job guys!!!:cheers:

7. Mar 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I wanna hear to tech beating story!!

Nice Write up Chris-What I figured it would be to get the job done...Nice to see someone else do it first tho!!

gregzz likes this.
  8. Mar 28, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Well, We took the stock shocks/springs to Pep Boys to have them swap the new OME 885 springs and Bilstien 5100 shocks. We dropped them off, and left to go assemble Matts new TC UCA's. We needed a different size grease zerk for one of the arms, so we headed back to Pep Boys. We got the parts, hung out for a bit, then, while we were on aisle 9a, my phone rings, it was Pep Boys telling me the shocks were finished. We stroll over to the counter, and the dude says, "Here ya go!" with a big grin on his face. The Top Plates were on crooked, and Im looking at them and notice, that they assembled them without the bushings or washers!!! The service dude, says "Oh...sorry about that, I'll go get it fixed"....I told him I want to go back there and show the dude how to build them....he started to mumble something, but I was already walking back there. So I see this fat ass trying to work the spring compressor, and he asked "whats wrong with them?"....I about LOST IT! I told him "They need to have the bushings installed, washeres, and the spring is installed wrong". The manager was right there, and he looked at the tech and said "You should have known better! How many of these have you done?". Well, I showed both of them how to do it. Matts Top Plate was gouged as the top nut was installed without a bushing or washer, and it was gouging the Top Plate. Idiots. I was pissed.

gregzz and SandyTaco4x4 like this.
  9. Mar 28, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    So if you had an aftermarket setup that was a complete shock/spring assembly like ToyTecs Ultimate Kit where you didn't need to "build" the shock/spring.....It would just slide right back in there, correct?

10. Mar 28, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If you mean- You buy a completely assembled coilover then...yes. Just take the old one out and put the new one in.

That's pretty sad Chris- I'd be pissed. I'm glad that I'll get to help with mine when the time comes...

11. Mar 28, 2009 at 8:16 PM
    brianr

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    haha, we need to have a cigar meet soon.

sorry Joe, no new toys for me. I'm looking at new tires right now though. Maybe wheels if I find a good deal.

12. Mar 28, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Hey chris, is it really just that striaght forward to put on the 5100's? I know you need an alignment

13. Mar 28, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Its just that easy. Take the springs and shocks to a place to have them installed, if you dont have a spring compressor. If you take it some place, make sure the reinstall everything propperly.

14. Mar 29, 2009 at 2:32 AM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    Instead of unbolting the ball joint why not just remove the top control arm. Its easier that way which is the way I do it on the 5 lug tacomas when installing a drop kit.

15. Mar 29, 2009 at 4:58 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    That's a great write up, I was wondering how easy that was, looks like I will add my new coilovers myself............

16. Mar 29, 2009 at 5:41 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Looks like I'm late to the party.

Pep Boys sucks.
    Chris is awesome.

17. Mar 29, 2009 at 5:57 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    ^^ You can still bring the chips and dip.....

18. Mar 29, 2009 at 6:13 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Well, ok.... but what am I to do with all these hookers then...? Um, nevermind.

19. Mar 29, 2009 at 6:15 AM
    brianr

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...

damn, thats where they are all are...you are hording them over there near 7th St.

20. Mar 29, 2009 at 6:18 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    7th St hookers...mmmmm.

Products Discussed in

To Top