1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how to get ip addy

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 07TacoRidah, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Feb 16, 2014 at 11:04 PM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah [OP] SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    Need to get the ip address off of my nephews laptop. I tried today using the cmd promt and it didnt work. It basically came out as an error or bad command something like that. Even when i tried to ping a website. It came out as the same error.

Im not very techy but why is that? Im trying to use the time cut on him. I know the router is able to because i asked my cousin about it and we tried to lock him out over joim.me. all i need is his ip but i cant get it using any of the methods i found searching google.

2. Feb 16, 2014 at 11:05 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    What operating system?

3. Feb 16, 2014 at 11:07 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    My nephews laptop has windows 8 on it (theme looks like windows mobile). Not sure where/how to find the ip on the laptop. My knowledge only goes up to windows vista (have to check... its not 8 thats for sure)

4. Feb 16, 2014 at 11:15 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    I don't know crap about 8 (besides i don't like it) but i'll see what i can find.

5. Feb 16, 2014 at 11:16 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Found this but it seems like a HUGE hassle. I got confused after reading a couple of the stepshttp://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/default-gateway-windows-8.htm

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  6. Feb 16, 2014 at 11:17 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    Open Control Panel in Windows 8.

Tip: While the process below works perfectly fine with Windows 8.1 and later, it's much faster using the Network Connections link that was first included on the Power User Menu with the 8.1 update. If you decide to use this shortcut, skip to Step 5.

In Control Panel touch or click on the Network and Internet link.

Note: You won't see this link if your Control Panel view is set to Large icons or Small icons. Instead, touch or click on Network and Sharing Center and move on to Step 4.

In the Network and Internet window, touch or click on Network and Sharing Center, most likely the link at the very top.

On the left margin of the Network and Sharing Center window, touch or click on Change adapter settings.

Note: I realize it says change in that link but don't worry, you won't be making changes to any network settings in Windows 8 in this tutorial. All you're doing is viewing the already configured default gateway IP.

On the Network Connections screen, locate the network connection that you want to view the default gateway IP for.

Tip: On most Windows 8 computers, your wired network connection is probably labeled Ethernet, while your wireless network connection is probably labeled Wi-Fi.

Note: Windows 8 can connect to multiple networks at the same time so you may see several connections on this screen. Usually, especially if your network connection is working, you can immediately exclude any connection that says Not connected or Disabled. If you're still having trouble determining which connection to use, change the view to Details and note the information in the Connectivity column.

Double-tap or double-click on the network connection. This should bring up an Ethernet Status or Wi-Fi Status dialog box, or some other Status, depending on the name of the network connection.

Note: If you instead get a Properties, Devices and Printers, or some other window or notification, it means that the network connection you chose does not have a status to show you, meaning it's not connected to a network or the Internet. Revisit step 5 and look again for a different connection.

Now that the connection's Status window is open, touch or click on the Details... button.

In the Network Connection Details window, locate either the IPv4 Default Gateway or IPv6 Default Gateway under the Property column, depending on which network type you're using.

The IP address listed as the Value for that property is the default gateway IP address Windows 8 is using at the moment.

Note: If no IP address is listed under either Property, the connection you chose in Step 5 may not be the one Windows 8 is using to connect you to the Internet. Check again that this is the right connection.

You can now use the default gateway IP address to troubleshoot a connection problem you might be having, to access your router, or whatever other task you had in mind.

Tip: Documenting your default gateway IP is a good idea, if only to avoid having to repeat these steps next time you need it. Unless you change your router's IP address, or your computer connects directly to a modem to access the Internet, the default gateway IP address used by Windows 8 will never be different.

Stolen from here, dunno if that helps.

7. Feb 16, 2014 at 11:18 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Also what i found weird, i tried to start a join.me session on his laptop and i got to the website but i wasnt able to click on anything. In a new window it said sonething was blocked via an extention.

8. Feb 16, 2014 at 11:20 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lol this the one that confused the hell out of me

9. Feb 16, 2014 at 11:23 PM
    Razgriz

Razgriz wtf am i reading

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 White TRD 4x4
    whats the error you get when you type ipconfig into command prompt?

(I do IT for a living)

10. Feb 16, 2014 at 11:27 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
  11. Feb 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    it said it was a bad command or something. I can remember but it said the same thing when I tried to use

tracert

ping "website"

I also went to a website called ip-lookup.net/com (i forget) but it only listed the router's ip (I think it was the router cause I did it to my computer and it listed the same address).

Can't. his desktop is like this one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNl_iszGCac

it's a cluster of weird things in there. ... I got confused quickly. Never messed with 8, been on Windows 7 Pro (yeah I know I just looked it up right now, when I was posting I was on my phone ... fk my comp is old :( ).

12. Feb 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Going to that site http://ip-lookup.net/ will give you your current public internet IP address.

If you and your brother are connected to the internet through the same router, you will both have the same public IP address (WAN address). You both will have unique LAN ip addresses (Private IP addresses) that are used only inside your own network. This is more likely the one you are interested in.

"ipconfig" from a command prompt should work. If not, hit WindowsKey-S (to bring up search). Type in 'view network connections'. Click the resulting icon to see the network connections. Double click the ethernet adapter that is in use, and hit the "Details" button. The ip address will be shown there beside IPV4 Address

13. Feb 18, 2014 at 11:37 AM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Nice, will have to try this out later today. Good lookin out.

Products Discussed in

To Top