1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to guide to install light bar behind front bumper.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Javadca20, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Nov 20, 2017 at 11:15 PM
    Javadca20

Javadca20 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Javad
    Bay Area , CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Prerunner TRD
    Just got it!
    Hey guys I'm a new 1st gen Tacoma owner (2003 Prerunner Xtracab) and this is my first post. I installed a lightbar to the support beam behind the front bumper and I hope it helps some people out.

I removed the bumper first. It's held on by 6 bolts. 12mm. There are also 2 plastic clips on the bottom on the bumper. Turn the plastic housing om the parking light on the lower end of the bumper and the bulbs detach. The whole bumper pulled out pretty easily after that. There's a support beam with a bunch of holes in front of the oil cooler which seemed like a great place to mount my 16 inch light bar. The only problem was that the holes didn't align with the mounting holes on the light bar. I had some scrap aluminum and decided to make a bracket. First step was getting bolts into the bracket. There is literally no room to insert them from the back. Trust me I tried multiple ways! There is NO way. I fished a thin wire through one of the bigger holes and out of the smaller holes and tied the end to the threads of a bolt. I pulled the wire out and the bolt came through the opening of the smaller hole. I did this for both sides of the support beam and tightened them down with nuts and large washers.

Then I drilled holes into 2 pieces of scrap aluminum and attached them to the bolts. I made sure to make a bigger hole for the bolt the light bar attached to and stuck it through the aluminum bar.

I pushed the light bar onto the bolts and tightened it all up! I made sure to put big enough nuts behind the plate to allow.space for the head of the outward facing light bar bolt.

I then ran the switch wire and the power wire through the firewall at the gasket on the front driver side where the hood release cable goes through. I popped the gasket out made a slit in it and forced the cables through. I connected the power wire to a add a fuse and into the fuse box. Make sure to put the add a fuse into a slot that only has power when the ignition is turned on. Don't connect the red power wire directly to the battery or the switch light will draw power all the time and drain your battery. Hopefully this helps someone! Thanks guys!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    nikeballs7, Slickster and Fuergrissa like this.
  2. Nov 20, 2017 at 11:36 PM
    Fuergrissa

Fuergrissa If you build it, trails will come.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R Limited
    :thumbsup: Welcome!

3. Nov 21, 2017 at 6:22 AM
    RysiuM

RysiuM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Was Golden State, now Poland EU
    Vehicle:
    1995 4x4 LX Ext Cab, I4 2.7, MT, 335K miles
    DD Deck+backup camera, LED DRL, All LED except H4 Hella
    How does it look with bumper on?

4. Nov 21, 2017 at 7:11 AM
    Javadca20

Javadca20 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Javad
    Bay Area , CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Prerunner TRD
    Just got it!
    I'll update pics with the bumper on

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Fuergrissa likes this.
  5. Dec 12, 2017 at 1:47 PM
    Dangorah

Dangorah Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Awesome! Tried to do this with my truck but I have a 1" body lift on... It's not easy getting those bolts into the support beam! I want to mount a 21" light bar that was given to me in the same location.

Javadca20[OP] likes this.
  6. Dec 12, 2017 at 2:09 PM
    prayzhm

prayzhm Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD
    I would love to see some pictures of how this looks from inside the cab at night.

7. Dec 12, 2017 at 9:35 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    Mine's aimed a little high in this photo at 100ft. It's also a 30 inch light bar.
    Screenshot_20171212-223222.jpg

8. Dec 12, 2017 at 9:38 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    I rubber mounted it to the frame.
    20171017_172827.jpg 20171017_181233.jpg
    20171017_180903.jpg

Javadca20[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top