1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to install a homelink garage opener w/pictures

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by El Tano, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Apr 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM
    El Tano

El Tano [OP] i am the one who knocks

Member:
    Pasadena. CA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD sport
    Corvette homelink FRONT: 5100 Blinstein set at 0 Procomp 3" leveling kit Allpro UCA’s. REAR: Icon Multi Rate RXT Leaf Pack 5100 Blinstein. 17x9 kMC wheels 0 BS 285/70 17 Wildpeak A/T4W C range Amp research steps. and a bunch of TSB's
    You can also buy a 2012 Tacoma, no install at all :D

2. May 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    My homelink install. Got a homelink module from Mike here for $20. Pics tell the rest of the story.

1 - install a switch to the overhead console. Radio Shack had one for $3.
    .[​IMG]

2. Solder wires to the #1 switch. Took a little trial and error to find out which soldering points to connect the wires to. Very delicate procedure.
    [​IMG]
    3. Poked holes in the original cover to let the wires pass through. Wanted to keep the unit in it's original enclosure to keep it protected.
    [​IMG]
    4. Mod complete. Ready to finish installing. Some glue in the holes might help keep the wires more secure.
    [​IMG]
    Fully installed Homelink module -waiting for power connect to overhead light wiring.
    [​IMG]
    Done! One switch, hidden.
    [​IMG]
    If I get more time and patience I might add the other two switches as well, and maybe some small lights in the area.

Stage 2 - added 2 more switches and add an external LED:
    [​IMG]
    Also added quick-disconnects and used a glue gun to seal up the wire exits so they won't flex
    [​IMG]
    Drilled holes for the additional switches and made a hole to install the LED. Used a glue gun on the backside of the LED to help hold it in place
    [​IMG]
    Stuffed everything up into the ceiling and re-mounted the overhead console. Clean install (yeah, one button isn't quite in line with the others). LED works GREAT:
    [​IMG]
    Kenobe

Ssendam and Dj Suisav like this.
  3. May 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods

Where did you get the switch?

4. May 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Radio Shack. It was less than $3. It's a momentary switch which means it only works when being pushed.

Note, I wrapped the wiring at the switch with heat shrink tubing and electrical tape to keep the wires from flexing the terminals too much - they can break easy while installing everything.

5. May 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    Nick54

Nick54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Hey OP, nice idea and write up. I purchased a homelink from ebay and had it installed in about 45 minutes. This mod was so easy and I can't believe I never thought to do this with other vehicles I've owned. I'm glad to get my dash cubby back. Thanks for the post.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. May 14, 2012 at 6:10 AM
    El Tano

Member:
    Pasadena. CA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD sport
    Corvette homelink FRONT: 5100 Blinstein set at 0 Procomp 3" leveling kit Allpro UCA’s. REAR: Icon Multi Rate RXT Leaf Pack 5100 Blinstein. 17x9 kMC wheels 0 BS 285/70 17 Wildpeak A/T4W C range Amp research steps. and a bunch of TSB's
    You are welcome Nick. Good job Kenobe and thank you for puting the pictures here, so other guys can see them. I like your idea better. If i had to do it all over again i would do it your way because you can put the button anywere. I really like TOGLIDE's install., I wish he could post the pics here and this could be a sticky so people can choose and see the diferent ideas.

7. Jun 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    I install it, but how to program it? Any idea?

8. Jun 10, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    El Tano

Member:
    Pasadena. CA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD sport
  9. Jun 11, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
  10. Jun 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    Slimwood Shady

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    #nomods
    If you go to homelink.com there is a video showing you. I just did this yesterday. After it learned the code from my remote , i then had to sync it with the opener...

11. Jun 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    Just installed one yesterday, Thanks for the write-up man!

12. Jun 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    Is there a smaller homelink transmitter that will fit in between the reading lights in the TRD overhead console? I'd prefer to mount one in that location, but the transmitter appears to be too big to fit. I wonder if a different OEM homelink transmitter from another vehicle would be smaller (I'm eyeing the one in my wife's Honda Pilot). Are the transmitters all the same, and only the front control faces differ?

13. Jun 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    Slimwood Shady

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    #nomods
    I think they are all the same. You could do it the way it is done in the link in the OP and use three buttons. I was going to put mine there then got lazy and decided against it...

14. Jun 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    Yeah, that location looks okay, but I'd prefer not to cut into my headliner. I'd rather mount it through a hard surface because I'm afraid that over time it would push through the soft headliner. I've thought of putting it on the side of the center console (facing the driver, adjacent to the gear shift knob/housing or the forward cup holders), but that wouldn't look very factory-ish. I like to keep things looking as OEM as I can.

15. Jun 11, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    #nomods
    I was referring to the link at the bottom of his post:rolleyes:

16. Jul 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    tmkjlk

tmkjlk New Member

Member:
    Last month I completed the Homelink mod from the following link, http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/166140-homelink-install.html. Everything worked great until today, now no LED light and my door didn't open. The temp, compass and map lights still work.

I removed the overhead console and conected the power leads to another power source. I checked for loose solder connections but didn't find any. Now the LED is on constantly and I have about 25% continuity across the switchs. I unsoldered the switches from the new circuit board, those seem OK. I also unsoldered all of the added wiring to try and isolate the problem. Is it possible that one of the original switches in the Homelink could have gone bad? Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know of a way to check the original switches without removing them from the circuitboard.

Any suggestions?

17. Jul 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    If the light is always on that means there is a short somewhere. Or, maybe the module itself went bad? That would be a rare event, though. Most likely the wires that were soldered to the Homelink shifted and maybe are touching the case of the switches or some other solder point. Check each carefully, maybe even re-solder the wires that are attached to the Homelink.

You can always get another module from E-bay for ~$25.

18. Sep 8, 2012 at 12:26 AM
    CyberKnight

CyberKnight Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 LB
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the original 3-button panel without damaging it? I tried prying it off with a 1/4" screwdriver blade but it didn't budge and the trim around the buttons was beginning to flex so I stopped.
    I want to install it with these buttons - through the headliner like in the OP - so I don't want to break the button panel.

Thanks,

19. Sep 8, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    If I remember right you push inward on the tabs and lift the face off. There is some pressure but it should come off fairly easy.

20. Sep 8, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    El Tano

Member:
    Pasadena. CA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD sport
    Look at the second picture, if you get something thin, press the pin in from both sides and pull up.
    The pin is like an arrow at the end and it has an opening in the center along the pin to allow to unhook the tips of the arrow.
    I highly recommend to do the other install, mine is hiden but you have to touch the visor everytime that you need to use it.
    Good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top